Help for applying for Physical Therapy???

Started by kbean824
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

kbean824

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Since I am considering a career in physical therapy, I think it would be good to have a basic idea of when to apply. The school I would plan on attending has a 3+3 program for the MPT. So basically if you work hard and plan correctly you could be done in a minimum of six years. To be accepted into the program you must have a a minimum of 90 credit hours including pre-requisiites. What I don't understand is when to apply. Do I have to have all the 90 hours completed just to apply? If I had 90 hours I could be classified as a "senior" and the MPT program is supposed to start during your "senior" year. Applications are accepted from September through November which is already during the semester. It may be a fairly simple answer, but any help would be appreciated 🙂
 
You need a bachelors degree or a semester away from completing it before applying the PT school.

Schools that use the 6 year thing often have a pre physical therapy or bachelors portion then the professional portion.

Some PT programs look at the last 60-90 hours of your college career.. Look at your GPA, semester GPA, etc..

Start applying to PT school (this year) in August if you know you will graduate to start a program next year.

Another question is do you have any observation hours? Get at least 100 hours in various settings..The minimum requirement can be 25--50---100 ~ depends on the school. Dont do the minimun~and do at least 2-3 different settings (Peds, Nursing Home, Ortho, Sports, Aqua, Inpatient,Neuro, Wound Care, Home Health, ETC).

Read my post in DPT started by student 30. I basically blew my whole brain up on giving advice on getting in PT school..Anyone with a good GPA (3.0 +) GRE1000 can get to PT school. There are 200+ PT programs in the US. You just have to apply to tons of them. Its like playing the lottery.

Good Luck
 
Hi! I am planning on applying PT school this upcoming summer...I was wondering if anyone had advice on how to stand out so that I can get into the schools that I want to get into?

I am currently in my 2nd year of college with a pre-PT major, I'm a year ahead so I'll be graduating in 3 years total and applying when I am 20 years old. I am a tech at a clinic right now, I volunteer at a children's hospital every weekend, I currently working on getting some more inpatient hours. Also, I was a dancer so I teach/sub some dance classes and volunteer at my old studio's dance shows backstage. What else can I do to stand out? By the time I get out of undergrad, my GPA should be about a 3.8
 
Try posting your questions in a new thread in the pre-PT forum. Bumping this 7.5 year old thread in the wrong forum probably won't be as helpful. 🙂 Heck this thread was started when MPT programs were still the main thing lol

And it really is more about having a strong GPA and GRE scores, a wide variety of observation hours, strong letters of recommendation and essay, and a good interview. Your extracurriculars have only a marginal impact on the application process.