Help for Step 3 for Atypical MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

d4lions

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear Fellow Docs Any advice you can give me would be super helpful

Here is my story:

I invented some technology in MD school, sold it to a big company and ran R&D for them for the last 10 years. During this time my family had numerous health issues, and I just had to come back.

I haven't seen patients in 10yrs, I graduated in 2006 from MD school

i took step 1 2x passed barely, took step 2 3x passed barely and now I am in a pickle.

I suck at these tests, I can get it to the last 2 answers 90% of the time.

To match all programs want me to take step 3 and I have to knock it out of the park, and volunteer to get back clinical skills.

I am most worried about step 3.

I am planning to take the PASS Step 3 review in january live course for 5 weeks but until then I need to get moving.

Where and what should I do ?

Everyone's strategy seems to be different. I have time which is good planning to take it next April/May so I want to study my butt off for it... I have no choice....

Any suggestions????

Members don't see this ad.

Dear Fellow Docs Any advice you can give me would be super helpful

Here is my story:

I invented some technology in MD school, sold it to a big company and ran R&D for them for the last 10 years. During this time my family had numerous health issues, and I just had to come back.

I haven't seen patients in 10yrs, I graduated in 2006 from MD school

i took step 1 2x passed barely, took step 2 3x passed barely and now I am in a pickle.

I suck at these tests, I can get it to the last 2 answers 90% of the time.

To match all programs want me to take step 3 and I have to knock it out of the park, and volunteer to get back clinical skills.

I am most worried about step 3.

I am planning to take the PASS Step 3 review in january live course for 5 weeks but until then I need to get moving.

Where and what should I do ?

Everyone's strategy seems to be different. I have time which is good planning to take it next April/May so I want to study my butt off for it... I have no choice....

Any suggestions????

Here's my recommendation:

Make sure you have a solid foundation of clinical diagnosis first, which is Step 2 material.

If you have to go back to studying Step 2 CK material, do it until you feel you got it down solid. My guess is your knowledge for Step 2 CK is weak, so make sure you have a solid foundation first before studying Step 3.

Based on your score report for CK focus on your weaknesses first by reviewing videos based on the particular subject. Medquest may have some videos for Step 2 which follow along with Master the Boards Step 2.

Do NBMEs and UW self assessment exams if you have to to make sure you are doing well on your CK level of knowledge. Again focus on your weaknesses from those self assessment exams.

Use UWorld Step 2 and Go over it several times. Make sure you know all the conditions that are presented in the QBank cold. Know how diseases present. Your focus should be on UWorld QBank Step 2. Don't memorize answers but be able to answer questions based on all the conditions that are presented in that QBank.

When you got that down go onto UWorld Step 3 QBank. You will have a hard time on Step 3 if you have a weak foundation from Step 2CK. If you don't even know how to diagnose conditions how will you be able to manage them?

You really need to focus in the next few months until you take the exam. It is truly a beast of an exam especially if you have weak Step 2 scores.

Oh and also focus on acing CCS as well. It can boost your score despite having borderline performance in your MCQs. Take the Archer course run by Dr Red. He tells you how to use the software and place orders. You have got to do as well as you can on CCS. Subscribe to uworld ccs and do all the cases.

The focus of your studying should be on acing CCS but also putting in the time to have your performance in other subject areas at the borderline level. CCS can put you over the top.

Also master biostats. You will get a lot of questions on day 1 from biostats and if you don't have a good grasp of the material you will have a hard time on day 1.

CCS and biostats and ethics are three areas which you can actually do well on if you put in the effort.

This is going to be a lot of hard work so good luck!

Thanks for your help

I actually am not bad at the DDX part, it was always picking the "best answer" that I always felt I looked to deep.. but I am hoping after a long break this will be different.

So what I hear from you is:

1) Uworld Step2 QB,
2) MTB Step 2 and Medquest videos
3) Uworld Step 3 and CCS
4) Archer

I agree probably Step 2 U world prior to the review class will strengthen my foundation...

I have to do well on this... thanks for your suggestions..

Thanks for your help

I actually am not bad at the DDX part, it was always picking the "best answer" that I always felt I looked to deep.. but I am hoping after a long break this will be different.

So what I hear from you is:

1) Uworld Step2 QB,
2) MTB Step 2 and Medquest videos
3) Uworld Step 3 and CCS
4) Archer

I agree probably Step 2 U world prior to the review class will strengthen my foundation...

I have to do well on this... thanks for your suggestions..

Yup if you didnt do well on Step 2, I would recommend you review UWorld QBank to get your performance up in the area you are weak in. You might even use Master the Boards Step 2 to review only those areas you are weak in. I would focus more on the QBank as the MTB2 is very dense just like MTB3.

Its really up to you. Look at previous posts on here and on usmleforum.com to get an idea how to approach this exam.

Others use MTB3 and medquest videos for Step 3 as well.

You really have a lot of sources. I would focus mainly on Step 2 and Step 3 Qbanks and refer to books only if you are weak in a particular subject (review a certain subject by reading books and video for that subject first, then attack the Qbank).

Remember you have to ace the CCS. Practice a lot using Archer and UWorld CCS. The better you do on the CCS, you can boost your score. CCS, ethics, and biostats are areas which you can actually do well on if you put in the time and effort, The other subjects are harder to study for in my opinion (but possible to do well on).

In summary focus on knowing the Qbanks and CCS well. Use the other sources to supplement areas you are weak in.

Good luck to you.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Unty

I am 2 weeks in using MQ video Step 2 and MTB2 and UW Step 2, things are starting to click.. with no studying I was at 30% on first pass at UW after I am averaging 70% which is giving me confidence.

I am using UW + FA + MTB 2 to make flash cards and then review them and go back and re do the questions.. my DDx knowledge is improving rapidly.. My goal is to be done with Step 2 stuff by the end of the month lastest mid next month and start more on the Step 3

I hear that the UW Step 3 Qbanks aren't as good ? Any other ones I should try ? The MTB/MQ Qbanks look too easy ?

I am also going to take the NBME self assesments and subject tests and review them with a personal tutor..

Then move to Archer and Crush CCS and UW CCS..

I am taking the exam in April..

In all honesty I never studied this hard or in this way for the previous steps, I was more focused on building my company/technology but also the resources like MTB/MQ that fit my learning style were not availabe then.

Hopefully this does the trick...

Unty

I am 2 weeks in using MQ video Step 2 and MTB2 and UW Step 2, things are starting to click.. with no studying I was at 30% on first pass at UW after I am averaging 70% which is giving me confidence.

I am using UW + FA + MTB 2 to make flash cards and then review them and go back and re do the questions.. my DDx knowledge is improving rapidly.. My goal is to be done with Step 2 stuff by the end of the month lastest mid next month and start more on the Step 3

I hear that the UW Step 3 Qbanks aren't as good ? Any other ones I should try ? The MTB/MQ Qbanks look too easy ?

I am also going to take the NBME self assesments and subject tests and review them with a personal tutor..

Then move to Archer and Crush CCS and UW CCS..

I am taking the exam in April..

In all honesty I never studied this hard or in this way for the previous steps, I was more focused on building my company/technology but also the resources like MTB/MQ that fit my learning style were not availabe then.

Hopefully this does the trick...

It is not correct that UW bank isn’t good — in fact it is the utmost important and highest quality resource you will use. The same goes for the CCS portion. many essentially just use this one resource with little clinical experience and manage to do well on this exam.