help from someone with patience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Miss Alyssa

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've never applied for federal financial aid before (I'm a new resident) so all of this is very new and very confusing. I filled out the fafsa, but I don't know what's next. Are Federal Subsidized Stafford Loan Program and the Unsubsidized Stafford Loan Program applied for separately? The med school sent me a list of lenders. Am I suppose to apply to one of these lenders to get federal loans? I should call the financial aid office, but I want to work through some of these financial aspects over the weekend.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I've never applied for federal financial aid before (I'm a new resident) so all of this is very new and very confusing. I filled out the fafsa, but I don't know what's next. Are Federal Subsidized Stafford Loan Program and the Unsubsidized Stafford Loan Program applied for separately? The med school sent me a list of lenders. Am I suppose to apply to one of these lenders to get federal loans? I should call the financial aid office, but I want to work through some of these financial aspects over the weekend.

Thanks

your school should have given you a packet about this. Usually you apply for Stafford loans on the school's fin aid website, fill out the entrance interview, apply for institutional fin aid, and fill out the MPN (where you actually have to pick the lender). The MPN can be done at a later date. After you do this, the school then comes back at you with a fin aid package. So ,basically you apply for all this thru the school, except you pick the lender you want (you can do this later on).

You need to choose a lender first. They will give you the Stafford loans.

The Perkins loans, on the other hand, are given through your school.

No, you don't need to choose a lender first. I got all my fin aid packages and haven't picket the lender yet.