Help: Georgia pharmacy Practical exam

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

worriedpharmD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am taking Georgia practical pharmexam in June. Can somebody please help me in review? What kind of calculations and compounding should I focus on? TPNs? Ointments? I am an out of state pharmacist and have not really done compounding.What kind of question in general they ask you? I am little bit nervous since I am not sure what to expect. If somebody could please please please help and help me focus my studies, I would greatly appreciate.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I am taking Georgia practical pharmexam in June. Can somebody please help me in review? What kind of calculations and compounding should I focus on? TPNs? Ointments? I am an out of state pharmacist and have not really done compounding.What kind of question in general they ask you? I am little bit nervous since I am not sure what to expect. If somebody could please please please help and help me focus my studies, I would greatly appreciate.

Why do you have to take the exam? I reciprocated from Virginia w/o having to take it.

Why do you have to take the exam? I reciprocated from Virginia w/o having to take it.
Because unfortunately I hold California license, and GA doesn't have reciprocity...so they are making me take the NAPLEX again also...along with mpje and the practical exam!

Because unfortunately I hold California license, and GA doesn't have reciprocity...so they are making me take the NAPLEX again also...along with mpje and the practical exam!

Ain't that a bitch lol. No seriously, I hear it isn't that bad. Know general calculations. I hear you will have to make a suppository.

Members don't see this ad :)

They won't let you reciprocate from Cali? Again, it has been a few years, but I reciprocated from Virginia to Georgia with no issues. That situation really sucks.

They won't let you reciprocate from Cali? Again, it has been a few years, but I reciprocated from Virginia to Georgia with no issues. That situation really sucks.

Nevermind, I looked it up. This reminds me of the "soup" from back in the day when john henson hosted. He would always say, "sorry Tennessee," and it became this big joke. Ok, sorry, good luck.

anybody can help???

anybody can help???

UGA P4 here... All I've heard is that the pracitcal is easy and pretty much everyone passes. I also heard last year that they didn't have the money for the actual physical materials so they just gave you a RX and told you to write out what you would do to make it lol.

At UGA they made us take 3 semesters of compounding lab and I still don't remember anything except the word "triturate"....I plan on writing that word at least a dozen or so times on my exam. :smuggrin:

UGA is holding a prep course for the NAPLEX/GA MPJE/practical exam on may 16-18 ($150). It says it's only for UGA students but they might let you come if you send a really nice email :)

http://sos.georgia.gov/acrobat/PLB/03 Candidate Information Bulletin - Licensure Exam.pdf

3. The Georgia Practical Examination: Consist of 3 Parts

· The Compounding Examination--- Candidates are presented with two
prescriptions, which may or may not contain errors. They are given the materials
with which to compound and fill the prescription. They are required to note any
errors with the prescription as written, although they are required to fill it as written.
Candidates are required to write down the calculations they used in filling the
prescriptions. Candidates have one and one-half hours to complete both
prescriptions. Then, each candidate meets with an examiner and is asked a series of
questions about the compounded prescription. The criteria used for scoring the
compounding process include: 1) the appearance of the product, 2) the accuracy and
appearance of the label, 3) the correctness of the procedure, 4) the correctness of the
calculations, and 5) consumer information and patient counseling about the
prescription.

· The Patient Care Module is a counseling/communications form of the exam that
mimics the actual day-to-day practice of pharmacy. Included in the Patient Care
Module candidates will be provided information regarding the patient profile and
drug history, they are required to counsel during the interview with an examiner.

· The Errors and Omissions Examination is a 30-item practical examination.
Candidates are presented with a copy of a prescription and a prepared prduct for two
(2) minutes each. They are to judge that one of following errors or omissions have
been committed, or that the prescription has been written and filled without error.

The errors and omissions are:
A. You need to contact the physician regarding an error in the prescription as
written, or, there is insufficient information to fill the prescription.
B. Prescription is filled with the wrong drug or the wrong strength of the correct
drug.
C. Error or omission by the pharmacist on computer-generated label.
D. Controlled substance prescription does not meet legal requirements (assume a 2-
compartment filing system).
E. The pharmacist has attempted an improper substitution based on Georgia's drug
product substitution law and regulations.
And, if there is no error, the sixth choice is:
F. None of the above problems exist.

The Errors and Omissions Examination is answered directly on a customized temporary
answer sheet. After the examination has ended, each candidate is given sufficient
time to transfer his or her answers to a machine-scanned answer sheet. Only the machine scanned answer sheet will be scored. There is no penalty for guessing.

AFTER THE EXAMINATION

A. PASS/FAIL STATUS
Candidates must pass the NAPLEX, MPJE and the Georgia Practical with a minimum
passing score of 75 on each exam. Candidates are required to obtain a minimum of 60 on
each section of the Georgia Practical. Any scores less than 60 on each section invalidate all
the scores from that administration of the Georgia Practical.

The Practical Exams Grading Criteria
· Compounding - The Compounding Examination is graded clinically. The criteria
and weight for each prescription are listed below.

Criteria Percent

Product appearance 10%
Label accuracy and appearance 10%
Compounding procedure 20%
Compounding calculations 40%
Prescription presentation/patient counseling 20%
Each of the two prescriptions counts for 50% of the compounding portion of
the exam, so that the two compounding prescriptions together, total 100%.
PLEASE NOTE: The calculations and the total outcome must be accurate to
receive credit for the calculation portion.
·

Patient Care Module -The Patient Care Module is scored by counting the number
of questions correctly answered and converting that number to a percentage score.
There is no penalty for guessing.

· Errors and Omissions - The Errors and Omissions examination is also scored by
counting the number of questions correctly answered and converting that number to
a percentage correct score. There also is no penalty for guessing.

To pass the Georgia Practical portion (the Compounding Examination, the Patient Care
Module, and the Errors and Omissions Examination), candidates must achieve scores of
60% or greater on each portion and must average 75% on the overall examination. (The
75% is computed by averaging the percentages of the three practical tests. Each test
percentage contributes one-third to the equation.) Candidates who fail to achieve a
minimum score of 60% on any of those three parts or who fail to obtain an average score of
75% or greater on the combined Compounding Examination, Patient Care Module, and
Errors and Omissions Examination, must re-take all three parts of the examination.

B. SCORE REPORTING
Candidate's results are mailed, approximately 4-6 weeks following the examination.
Scores are confidential and cannot be released over the telephone please do not call the
Examination Development and Testing Unit or the Georgia Board of Pharmacy for this purpose. Candidate's who fail the exam will receive a breakdown of their areas of weakness.
This breakdown provides a synopsis of the performance for that administration.

C. STATISTICAL REVIEW OF THE EXAMINATION
After each administration of the Georgia Board of Pharmacy Examination, a statistical
analysis and candidate's comments are reviewed. This analysis assures the validity and
reliability of the examination.

D. RE-EXAMINATION
NO Review is permitted of the Georgia Practical Examination: Compounding, Errors and
Omissions Examination, and Patient Care Module.
Candidates who fail the examination may request a hand-score within 30 days of the result
notice. Please note that if your score was within five points of passing, your answer sheet
has already been hand scored.
To request a hand-score, send a cashier's check or money order for $20 payable to the
Secretary of State to the following address: Professional Licensing Boards Division, Attn:
Examination Development and Testing Unit, 237 Coliseum Drive, Macon GA 31214.
To reapply, contact the Georgia Board of Pharmacy at 237 Coliseum Dr., Macon, GA,
31217, or call at (478) 207-1640. Policies regarding review of the NAPLEX Examination
or receiving a breakdown of NAPLEX Examination scores come from the NABP.

Reactions: 1 user
UGA P4 here... All I've heard is that the pracitcal is easy and pretty much everyone passes. I also heard last year that they didn't have the money for the actual physical materials so they just gave you a RX and told you to write out what you would do to make it lol.

At UGA they made us take 3 semesters of compounding lab and I still don't remember anything except the word "triturate"....I plan on writing that word at least a dozen or so times on my exam. :smuggrin:

UGA is holding a prep course for the NAPLEX/GA MPJE/practical exam on may 16-18 ($150). It says it's only for UGA students but they might let you come if you send a really nice email :)

Thank you so much for all the info....this really helps..i appreciate your time. Do you know who would i contact at uga to see if they would let me come in?? and also...are there perticular type of compounds they might ask you to make?? or any perticular type of calculations to focus on?? and for counseling session...what kind of drugs should i focus on??

Members don't see this ad :)
sorry I really don't know much else myself. The GA BOP says they don't recommend anything to specifically review and that all standard pharmacy circulums will you prepare you for the test. Based on that and what I have heard about everyone passing, I'm going to let the UGA review tell me what to review. I'll send you a PM about who to contact.

I just read all of your posts and was wondering what you got from the UGA review. I am a pharm grad from University of Arizona and will be coming to atlanta for the wet lab practical june 2nd as well. any help would be GREATLY appreciated. thanks!

Just read your previous post, pls could you share what you gained from the UGA review that might be helpful for the exams.

Thanks

Hi, i'm taking practical exam in next 10 days, and wondering if anyone can guide me about "patient profile section" i m out of state student and don't know anything about practical exam. if anyone can give me full details that would be gr8 help.. Also IS THAT TRUE THAT IN PRACTICAL EXAM YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO USE CALCULATOR???

I just took the practical yesterday. My overall impression was that it was a fair exam, if you didn't prepare well enough for it, you will face challenges. Here is what you need to study. Look at attached files.

1. Error and Omission part: Challenging part of the exam. DO know COMMON BRAND AND GENERIC.

http://pskills.pharm.ku.edu/displab.html

Click on this link and practice error and omission.

Also I have attached a powerpoint which has answers as well to quiz.

You will be answering from 6 options same for all questions so practice it these material using those options provided on candidate bulletin on georgia stateboard of pharmacy website.

2. Compounding part - Challenging if you struggle with math without calculator

There are 2 compounding cases.
1. One of those will be making IV bag from stock solution of higher strength using patient weight
convert lb to kg without calculator and then do the match.
Practice allegation from RXprep or calculation practice attached.

2. Oral solution using tablets and dextrose 50% or any other solution and sterile water to make suspension
Learn math, I had to convert 50% dextrose to 7.5% dextrose in my suspension using alligation method with sterile water.

3. Patient care part - fairly easy if you passed pharmacy school and rotations - grading is subjective in this part so your job is to impress the examiner as a pharmacist

You will have to look at a patient profile with whole bunch of meds diseases and allergies. Look for problems, what we call DRPs drug related problems. they want to come up with at least 10 problems which is fairly easy to come up with. I came up with more than 15.

It is a long exam - It took 5 hours so bring water bottle and lunch and eat before you take exam.

Don't stress and show them who is the boss!! Good luck Phriends :)

Attachments

• Calc Problem Collection 120 Q&A(1) 06.16.2011 (1).pdf
    222.3 KB · Views: 1,524
  • preparation for georgia practical (1).doc
    34.5 KB · Views: 1,674
Reactions: 5 users
I also took the test yesterday , just want to add to out-of state students to be thorough about the Errors and omissions session. Please make sure you do some practice slides before you take the exam! Good Luck!

I also took the test yesterday , just want to add to out-of state students to be thorough about the Errors and omissions session. Please make sure you do some practice slides before you take the exam! Good Luck!

Does anyone know how long does the state board takes to post the grades. They say 4-6 six weeks, do they really take that long?

my friend said they will mail our compounding grades by post in 2 weeks..not really sure

Hi! Can anyone please post or PM good study materials ( like practice exams) for GA law? Thanks

I just took the practical yesterday. My overall impression was that it was a fair exam, if you didn't prepare well enough for it, you will face challenges. Here is what you need to study. Look at attached files.

1. Error and Omission part: Challenging part of the exam. DO know COMMON BRAND AND GENERIC.

http://pskills.pharm.ku.edu/displab.html

Click on this link and practice error and omission.

Also I have attached a powerpoint which has answers as well to quiz.

You will be answering from 6 options same for all questions so practice it these material using those options provided on candidate bulletin on georgia stateboard of pharmacy website.

2. Compounding part - Challenging if you struggle with math without calculator

There are 2 compounding cases.
1. One of those will be making IV bag from stock solution of higher strength using patient weight
convert lb to kg without calculator and then do the match.
Practice allegation from RXprep or calculation practice attached.

2. Oral solution using tablets and dextrose 50% or any other solution and sterile water to make suspension
Learn math, I had to convert 50% dextrose to 7.5% dextrose in my suspension using alligation method with sterile water.

3. Patient care part - fairly easy if you passed pharmacy school and rotations - grading is subjective in this part so your job is to impress the examiner as a pharmacist

You will have to look at a patient profile with whole bunch of meds diseases and allergies. Look for problems, what we call DRPs drug related problems. they want to come up with at least 10 problems which is fairly easy to come up with. I came up with more than 15.

It is a long exam - It took 5 hours so bring water bottle and lunch and eat before you take exam.

Don't stress and show them who is the boss!! Good luck Phriends :)
Hi, thanks for the info. I m resiprocrating my licence. You mention about 2 compounding cases, did u have to, compound the product. or just the calculation part of it. Also can u please provide detail on drug related problems on patients file. What was it like

I too am reciprocating my licenses from another state. I have been out of school for 10 years. However, I've been practicing retail/community pharmacy since I graduated. Not much compounding since school. I live in the Atlanta area. Does the board actually have you physically make a compound prescription or do you have to write everything out? Does anyone have more study material that can be helpful for the Georgia practical exam? Any insight on the practical exam would help. Also, does Mercer let non students into reviews?