HELP! Getting Fellowship Approved For Post-9/11 GIB Benefits

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1013765

Another frustrated active duty physician here plotting my escape....I'm about to leave active duty and will be going to a non-ACGME accredited ortho trauma fellowship next year (most ortho trauma fellowships are accredited by the Orthopedic Trauma Association instead of the ACGME so there's no work hour restrictions). I'm trying to use my GIB benefits during fellowship primarily for Military Housing Allowance (MHA); however, while recently trying to get my fellowship "approved", the state certifying official declined the request because he said the fellowship isn't accredited by the ACGME.

Apparently, there aren't any specific provisions for fellowships in the VA GIB benefits instructions, but Internships/Residencies are the closest categories and under that category, the instruction specifically states a program must be accredited by the ACGME in order to qualify. So with that being said...

1. Has anyone been able to work around this technicality and had a non-ACGME fellowship approved after classifying it as something else? If so, they said I could claim precedent and that may work...
2. If not, what other options do I have to qualify for and use the MHA benefits during fellowship to help offset living expenses?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Another frustrated active duty physician here plotting my escape....I'm about to leave active duty and will be going to a non-ACGME accredited ortho trauma fellowship next year (most ortho trauma fellowships are accredited by the Orthopedic Trauma Association instead of the ACGME so there's no work hour restrictions). I'm trying to use my GIB benefits during fellowship primarily for Military Housing Allowance (MHA); however, while recently trying to get my fellowship "approved", the state certifying official declined the request because he said the fellowship isn't accredited by the ACGME.

Apparently, there aren't any specific provisions for fellowships in the VA GIB benefits instructions, but Internships/Residencies are the closest categories and under that category, the instruction specifically states a program must be accredited by the ACGME in order to qualify. So with that being said...

1. Has anyone been able to work around this technicality and had a non-ACGME fellowship approved after classifying it as something else? If so, they said I could claim precedent and that may work...
2. If not, what other options do I have to qualify for and use the MHA benefits during fellowship to help offset living expenses?

Thanks
This is a pre-med forum, so your question is well outside the scope of most of us. I'd recommend posting more on the residency side of things.

Thanks

Is your institution on the WEAMs database? At worst, shouldn't this qualify as a OJT which still gets some benefits?