Help! Goucher Application On Hold

Discussion in 'Postbaccalaureate Programs' started by Teal08, Dec 12, 2008.

1. Teal08

2+ Year Member

Post Doc
    I just got a letter that my application to Goucher is being put on hold and they're not sure if they're going to give me an interview. Goucher is one of my top choices and I'm not really sure how to take this. Has anyone out there been put on hold who later got an interview and gotten into the school? What are my chances of being taken off hold? Is there anything I can do to convince the committee that I am a strong candidate?

2. murfettie

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    when did you mail your app?

3. Xueli

Xueli D-A-buh-teez
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    well, at least they didn't have you come out for the interview first and then put you on hold (like they did for me). Have you applied/interviewed for any other schools? I was bummed they day I found out Goucher put me on hold...but the next day I got an acceptance from Scripps.

As for convincing the committee, I don't know if they want you to respond to them when they send you a hold letter because don't they write something to the effect of "don't bother us" (in so many words) in their letter?

4. runner1323

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Don't panic! This is actually more common than you would think. Goucher put several of my classmates' applications on hold before interviewing them or after interviewing them. Goucher tried to leave spots open until the end of spring (we actually had someone accepted during the summer as well) because they understand that not all excellent candidates apply early. January and February are the "busy" months in terms of applications that Goucher receives, so it is more common for someone now to be put "on hold" than immediately accepted in order to make a decision at a later date.

Again, this is not necessarily a bad thing. Many of my classmates were put on hold at some point before being accepted.

5. Teal08

2+ Year Member

Post Doc
    I mailed my app before Thanksgiving.

Still waiting to hear back about interviews from other schools. Since I submitted my application I have signed up to do a 3 month health internship abroad and I was thinking about letting them know about that to show my committment to the medical field. I also don't have a lot of medical experience/volunteering on my application right now which I think might be one of the concerns of the school.

I'm not really sure what to do if they get back to me after February since I'll be abroad. It's good to hear though that a few people who were on hold did get in.

6. moneduloides

moneduloides Corvus
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to notify the schools you applied to that you have recently been given such a great opportunity, as long as its tasteful and you're completely clear that you are doing it so your application is more accurate.

But, most importantly: breathe

7. dragonfly1994

2+ Year Member

I was just curious to hear if your hold status materialized? Don't feel pressured to reply i was just curious.

8. Teal08

2+ Year Member

Post Doc
    No, I never heard back about the hold status.