Thought I would post it here too - Advice on Post Bacc and Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

memento_mori1

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi, I will try not to dox myself here and keep it short. Asian male, in a T25 college right now. In my final year of undergrad and will graduate with a cgpa of around 3.65 (sgpa probably around there or a little lower). I got a lot of Bs and B-s, and a D in Orgo (which I retook and ended with an A-). I also have a W on my transcript and retaking that class I only ended with a B-. I am in a research lab, have good volunteering, shadowed a little, in leadership positions (think TA and stuff), and also have clinical hours (Medical Assistant/Scribe). My MCAT score is 515+. I am taking 2 gap years (hopefully in my lab and working at a hospital). The only thing I am lacking is volunteering in communities (all of my volunteer work has been at a hospital) and my low gpa. I am thinking of doing a postbacc but a it seems like a lot of them require too much money. I am aiming for an MD (applying to around 20) school but definitely will be applying to DO schools (around 5). Just looking on advice on what I can do with my gpa/what else I can do to strengthen my application. I have this year and the next one before I apply so I would love some advice/input
 
A 3.65 gpa should be fine for md schools… especially with a 515+ mcat. When you say your science gpa is “slightly slower”, how much lower exactly? I don’t think your gpa is low enough to do a post bacc but I could be wrong. I’d focus far more on extra currics and standing out from the pack
 
Last edited by a moderator:
A 3.65 gpa should be fine for md schools… especially with a 515+ mcat. When you say your science gpa is “slightly slower”, how much lower exactly? I don’t think your gpa is lower enough to do a post bacc but I could be wrong. I’d focus far more on extra currics and standing out from the pack
I just calculated it now (keep in mind my year is not finished). I would say it is going to be anywhere from 3.5-3.63 and my cgpa would be anywhere from 3.63-3.68
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
3.6+ is not a low GPA unless you only have aspirations for Ivy+ med schools.

You said your application is weak because you have no involvement with community. You know what to do then.
I second this. I’d spend far more time on differentiating yourself / doing community work than trying to up your gpa. Your gpa plus mcat score already show you can handle med school
 
3.6+ is not a low GPA unless you only have aspirations for Ivy+ med schools.

You said your application is weak because you have no involvement with community. You know what to do then.
I don't. Just want to get in an MD but I will apply DO as well. But main aspirations are just an MD school in the states