Help! H-NMR Splitting with R and S

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Typical Average Student

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this makes sense but I'll try to explain it the best I can:

This has to do with finding the H-NMR of a proton: Lets say there's 1 proton on each side of a proton we're trying to find the peak of, one of the adjacent protons is in R conformation and the other in S. Would the H-NMR display the peak as a triplet (if the protons are considered symmetrical) or would it display as a quadruplet (if the protons are considered different)?

I guess an example molecule would be: (1R-3S)-1,3 dibromo-2-chloro-1,3- dimethylpropane (below) and we're trying to find the peak of the hydrogen geminal to the chlorine.

11722257_844850188932957_4053375832678876031_o.jpg

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:

This has to do with finding the H-NMR of a proton: Lets say there's 1 proton on each side of a proton we're trying to find the peak of, one of the adjacent protons is in R conformation and the other in S. Would the H-NMR display the peak as a triplet (if the protons are considered symmetrical) or would it display as a quadruplet (if the protons are considered different)?

I guess an example molecule would be: (1R-3S)-1,3 dibromo-2-chloro-1,3- dimethylpropane (below) and we're trying to find the peak of the hydrogen geminal to the chlorine.

View attachment 193713

The 2 protons are equivalent adjacent to the Carbon with the Chlorine. Enantiotopic protons are equivalent in NMR....thus the signal would come in as a triplet.

Hope this helps.

Dr. Romano

Reactions: 1 user

View attachment 193713

There will be one peak (a quintet) that integrates to 2.0 to account for both of the symmetrical hydrogens.

The hydrogen next to the Cl will be accounted for by a triplet that integrates to 1.0.