Help-harder genetics or easier?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Anand17

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So im an economics major. I want to take genetics...one genetics class (pcb3063) is more molecular biology based..and so a lot harder. The other genetics class (agr3303), its hard, but not as hard..and i know I can get an A. I dont need either for my major, but I know I have to take genetics as a "higher level." Ive asked my advisors this question, and they say take the harder genetics because itll help you more for the mcat and "its what medical schools want to see." For the mcat part, i understand that, but id rathar have the A, and im still learning genetics..the mcat doesnt have that specific of genetic questions. And as far as medical schools and what they want to see......the floor is open. Thanks for reading and thanks for your help guys!

Members don't see this ad.

i would take the easier genetics and use the extra time to study for the mcat.

I'm just curious why your school offers two separate Genetics courses. Is one for science majors and one for science education majors or something?

As for what you should do, there's a lot of Genetics on the MCAT these days so the harder one might be a better in the long run. Go to the MCAT forum and check out the thread for those who took the exam yesterday (5-10-08).

Members don't see this ad :)
One genetics class is in the college of agronamy...the other one is for biology majors..microbio majors..etc...as far as mcat...both classes teach you enough genetics...its just the harder one goes into way more depth

The truth is, you're majoring in economics. Neither is a requirement for your major or medical school. I think it already looks pretty good that you went above and beyond by thinking of taking either. The genetics on the mcat is really easy and biology 1 is sufficient (I'm talking mendelian genetics, punnett squares, a little biotechnology...nothing a good kaplan or TPR review book won't cover). Genetics in medical school is really not more complicated and they will teach you/reteach you whatever they want you to know. Take the easier one and save yourself the headache. It's preferable to take the easier one and get an A than take the harder one and maybe not do so well. The harder one will go more into detail than you really need.

Consider taking biochemistry though. Note that many schools are now beginning to have that as a prerequisite. And learning biochemistry in a fast-paced condensed medical school block of only a few weeks is a bitch...it can be really hard. Much better to go in there with the background already.

yea im def taking biochem, some schools (fiu) are starting to require cell biology...its like they want diversity but for non-science majors like us its getting harder and harder to incorporate these classes into our schedules as "our majors" core classes get harder...thanks for the advice.

The genetics on the mcat is really easy and biology 1 is sufficient (I'm talking mendelian genetics, punnett squares, a little biotechnology...

I'm not sure that's true anymore. Just browsing the threads from the April and May MCAT administrations, some posters are saying there was a lot of molecular genetics they didn't expect.

hmm...I guess things change...hopefully all the review companies keep up with this and incorporate the changes into the newer editions of their review books.

Make sure you check also the specific requirements for all the schools you plan on applying to...apparently some of them are getting a little crazy and it's no longer just 2 semesters of bio, 2 gen chem, etc.

Go big.

In the flurry to get into medical school and survive the pre-med years, people forget that getting into medical school is only the first step. Once you're there, you're going to have to work your behind off to be competitive, and any edge that you can give yourself as an undergrad is only going to make your life easier in the future. Take the harder class, work your butt off now, spread the pain out. It's not only about the MCAT, or about just barely making it to the next step.

After all, what would be the point of going to medical school if you under-prepare and under-perform and end up forced into a specialty that you don't actually enjoy?

Obviously that probably won't be the case, but it's a dangerous mind set I had for awhile too. Then you wake up and realize the race never ends.

I would say go take the easier course. The benefits of taking the lighter course are going to far outweigh the benefits of taking the more in-depth course. If either will prepare you for the MCAT and it seems that's the only reason you're taking the course (med school reasons) then don't kill yourself over it. Adcoms can see your individual courses but they do not go through them with a fine tooth comb unless something alarming is seen. They don't have a course catalog infront of them and won't have the time or desire to know one is a biology course and the other is an argonomy course. You can also probably list the genetics course on the AMCAS as biology even though it isn't hosted by that department/college because genetics is biology related.

mcat prep has less to do with taking upperdiv bio courses and more to do with practicing and reviewing the material from a good book (i recommend EK for bio). a review book will be more high yield than taking a molecular genetics class you don't need.

I managed to get an A- in PCB 3063

My friends and I would mess around in the back of the classroom and take naps. The teachers would just read the powerpoints which were available online.

The class was a burden that would show itself once every couple weeks (for the 3 tests and final exam).

The molecular biology of the class wasn't bad, just know the enzymes and a few base pairing rules and you're set. The Mendelian genetics portion is easy.

Easier. All day, every day.

M.bio-level genetics isn't going to help you out on the MCAT (that much). If you're not sure, go pick up a Kaplan or TPR book, check the bio section, and see which genetics seems more germane to that material. It's gonna be the easier one.