Gap Year Job: MA or Research? Help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.

leptinghrelin

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone!

As the title suggests, I am having trouble deciding whether or not I should pursue a research or clinical position for the 2 gap years I am taking. I would really appreciate any and all advice!

Some quick background info about my stats:
1000+ research hours, with 1 pub and honors thesis
200+ hours as a dental assistant
400+ hours volunteering in EDs

I recently reached out to the office of admissions of a school I interested in applying ED, and they recommended I take a clinical position as my dental assistant hours were from 2020-2021, and not enough. However, I feel that I am in a bit of dilemma as my LOR for research is not in a good situation. I did not tell the admissions office this, but I essentially cut off ties with the last lab I worked at for two years, and did my honors thesis at (due to overworking and verbal/emotional abuse). I will not be asking for a LOR from them, but will be asking another PI that I had worked with over 2 years ago. While I believe that he will be able to write me a good letter, I know it's a bit of a red flag and was hoping to use my gap years to work at another lab where I could ask for a strong, more recent research LOR.

I was wondering if given this, I should still pursue a clinical position during my gap years, or find something more in between? (Like a clinical research coordinator - but I worry admissions will not see this as direct patient care). Thank you for your time!

Edit: Another reason why I was thinking about research is because I would like to do surgery, and heard that research during gap years is almost essential to ensure publications and a competitive application to surgery residencies.
 
Thank you everyone for the invaluable advice!
Why not do each for a year?. MA first, because you definitely need more clinical exposure than “dental assistant.”
I think I'll definitely try to do something like this. Thanks!
MA for sure! A lot of secondary’s ask about patient interactions or stories and I am worried now you won’t have any
I'll try to jot down some patient experiences then - thank you!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.