HELP! How can i improve my application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EXZPCS

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I'm new to this forum and I would greatly appreciate any comments on this post.

I am planning to apply next year, and I want to see what else I can do to improve my chances of getting into pharmacy school.

I graduated from UCD w/a B.S. of Biology last year and my overall GPA is 3.12. Pre-rep GPA is 3.27. (I know my GPA is low so I really need to strengthen my other areas)

I did not take anatomy lab and physiology lab so I am planning to apply for the schools in CA that don't require them and some schools outside of CA.

My work experiences have listed below:
3.5 years working as a student researcher in lab and I got one abstract and one paper published as a co-author.

I volunteered at a nonprofit clinic with medical doctors and students for 2.5 years.

I just started volunteering in a small retail pharmacy for about 1 month. I will continue working there until I get into Pharmacy school.

I also have a full-time job right now working from 9am-6pm in an engineering firm.

Do I need more volunteering experience?

LOR: I have 1 LOR from a soil chemistry assistant professor from my previous lab, 1 LOR from the post-doc who also works there. 1 LOR from my current boss who is a civil engineer. He is a Deputy Division Manager. 1 LOR from the pharmacist I am working with right now hopefully. and perhaps another 1 from my former boss in American Red Cross. (I am not sure if volunteering at American Red Cross is necessary/ helping my application) Any comments?

PCAT: I am planning to take PCAT next year in June, I am studying the Kaplan book. I graduated for more than a year already so I really need to study hard for PCAT. I am planning to buy Dr. Collins study guide. Do you guys think if that would be enough materials to study for?

THANKSSS GUYS!

Members don't see this ad.

The number of extracurricular activities you do don't really matter. What matters is that you can show how all the activities you were involved in helped you realize pharmacy as a career path and how it makes you a good candidate for pharmacy school. So as far as your activities are concerned, I feel that you have a good amount to talk about. Your GPA isn't bad either :) You should focus on the PCAT now and take the year to improve anything you feel you are lacking.

Goodluck!

Thanks for ur reply. yea u have a point there. i forgot to mention that i got a no pass in a plant biology class. I retook another class (Agricultural biology) and I got a B. Since it's a no pass so it didnt affect my GPA. Is it going to affect the chances of getting into pharmacy school?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for ur reply. yea u have a point there. i forgot to mention that i got a no pass in a plant biology class. I retook another class (Agricultural biology) and I got a B. Since it's a no pass so it didnt affect my GPA. Is it going to affect the chances of getting into pharmacy school?

I don't think it'll affect your chances that much. Make sure you clarify your situation either on the pharmcas or on the supplemental just in case :)

I think you should take the PCAT earlier than June... in case you feel like you might want to retake it - I used the Kaplan, Princeton Review, and Peterson's(? - it was a blue book) to study and felt as those were more than sufficient.

Dr. Collin's study guide seemed expensive to me, but I hear it is very good.. so maybe you will be fine if you just used the Kaplan and Doctor Collin's. But I bought 4 books under $80 (there was a 4th flashcard book that Amazon recommended, but didn't feel as if it was all that helpful) :C

Your extracurriculars are fine, but just find a way to make it about realizing "pharmacy". Your GPA is also ok - just try to ace your next prereq's to get a solid 3.2. If not, you will be fine... depending on how your PCAT goes.

Good luck!!! :)

I don't think it'll affect your chances that much. Make sure you clarify your situation either on the pharmcas or on the supplemental just in case :)
Thanks!! I will do that!

I think you should take the PCAT earlier than June... in case you feel like you might want to retake it - I used the Kaplan, Princeton Review, and Peterson's(? - it was a blue book) to study and felt as those were more than sufficient.

Dr. Collin's study guide seemed expensive to me, but I hear it is very good.. so maybe you will be fine if you just used the Kaplan and Doctor Collin's. But I bought 4 books under $80 (there was a 4th flashcard book that Amazon recommended, but didn't feel as if it was all that helpful) :C

Your extracurriculars are fine, but just find a way to make it about realizing "pharmacy". Your GPA is also ok - just try to ace your next prereq's to get a solid 3.2. If not, you will be fine... depending on how your PCAT goes.

Good luck!!! :)
I havent prepared enough yet.. I know PCAT only offers from June to Jan. I don't think I will be ready by Jan, the next available one is in June so I figured I can take it next year when I submit my applications.

I already graduated last year and finished taking all the classes except Public Speaking, I am planning to take it in city college next semester.

yea, the dr. collins study guide is expensive so I am still debating whether to get it or not.

Thanks for your info!

I know you think you're funny, but jokes.com is over here. Now take a hike! :rolleyes:

Volunteering for a retail pharmacy is a red flag. Maybe not so much in the metric that they use to gauge your potential as a pharmacy student. But in the propensity to make adequate investment decisions it should be a red flag. Or maybe the irony is that making the decision to become a pharmacy student is synonymous with a bad investment, hence making it a green flag.

Volunteering for a retail pharmacy is a red flag. Maybe not so much in the metric that they use to gauge your potential as a pharmacy student. But in the propensity to make adequate investment decisions it should be a red flag. Or maybe the irony is that making the decision to become a pharmacy student is synonymous with a bad investment, hence making it a green flag.

That's very cute. I give you an A for your effort in trying to legitimize your trolling, but the only red flag I see is in your post history. Have a look, here and here if you've forgotten already. :naughty: Your call, but you're asking to be banned. :)

That's very cute. I give you an A for your effort in trying to legitimize your trolling, but the only red flag I see is in your post history. Have a look, here and here if you've forgotten already. :naughty: Your call, but you're asking to be banned. :)

Neither of those posts are trolling. There is a caustic element, however the answers contributed are valid and was done with the intention to inform. Also retail isn't a terrible place to work in, but the environment is degrading. First is due to corporate metrics that are as inane as the smiley faces you feel obligated to insert in the middle of text. Second is due to a customer base that shoots threats at you when they receive a generic similar to your passive aggressive attempt at back-seat modding. Third is due to the fact that you went through a real education to wind up listening to automated jingles while you're watching uncertified/unlicensed techs making min. wage shuffle about inefficiently and not really giving a single damn.

When you do verification you have to make sure every script is 100% correct because your techs entering these scripts en masse are untrained. Not only untrained, but also lazy resulting in mix ups that shouldn't be mix ups such as an Auvi-Q 2-pack being typed in as an Auvi-Q (2-pack) + Z-pack even though Auvi-Q always comes in store as a 2-pack and making a similar mistake for another med immediately afterwards.

The only legitimate thing about retail is the fact that it starts pharmacists on the highest pay scale making it easier to repay debt. It however falls into the age dilemma where it restricts pharmacists from being potentially strong applicants for fellowships i.e. industry when they've managed to finish paying off their debt and purchasing their own bare necessities. Retail as a tech is fine for starting off, but it shouldn't be where you end up. Unlike the pharmacist you are making min. wage and your teammates are likely humps in a relatively demanding environment (I worked at a high volume store).

It should be illegal to volunteer work in a pharmacy without pay and incredibly questionable to handle medications behind the pharmacy counter without having a license. There are also other choices for technicians than just remaining in retail that on average pay better. It's just a matter of accumulating experience and interviewing. So my opinion on retail techs isn't high, because the job is not empowering and it doesn't really assist you monetarily unless you're a student just looking for part-time hours. But even then there are still other pharms that will pay better for part-time assistance.

Neither of those posts are trolling. There is a caustic element, however the answers contributed are valid and was done with the intention to inform. Also retail isn't a terrible place to work in, but the environment is degrading. First is due to corporate metrics that are as inane as the smiley faces you feel obligated to insert in the middle of text. Second is due to a customer base that shoots threats at you when they receive a generic similar to your passive aggressive attempt at back-seat modding. Third is due to the fact that you went through a real education to wind up listening to automated jingles while you're watching uncertified/unlicensed techs making min. wage shuffle about inefficiently and not really giving a single damn.

When you do verification you have to make sure every script is 100% correct because your techs entering these scripts en masse are untrained. Not only untrained, but also lazy resulting in mix ups that shouldn't be mix ups such as an Auvi-Q 2-pack being typed in as an Auvi-Q (2-pack) + Z-pack even though Auvi-Q always comes in store as a 2-pack and making a similar mistake for another med immediately afterwards.

The only legitimate thing about retail is the fact that it starts pharmacists on the highest pay scale making it easier to repay debt. It however falls into the age dilemma where it restricts pharmacists from being potentially strong applicants for fellowships i.e. industry when they've managed to finish paying off their debt and purchasing their own bare necessities. Retail as a tech is fine for starting off, but it shouldn't be where you end up. Unlike the pharmacist you are making min. wage and your teammates are likely humps in a relatively demanding environment (I worked at a high volume store).

It should be illegal to volunteer work in a pharmacy without pay and incredibly questionable to handle medications behind the pharmacy counter without having a license. There are also other choices for technicians than just remaining in retail that on average pay better. It's just a matter of accumulating experience and interviewing. So my opinion on retail techs isn't high, because the job is not empowering and it doesn't really assist you monetarily unless you're a student just looking for part-time hours. But even then there are still other pharms that will pay better for part-time assistance.

I don’t want to assist you in derailing this thread, so if you don’t think you’re trolling, fine! However, going from several acerbic posts to outright claiming that gaining volunteer experience in retail pharmacy is a red flag is very telling. :rolleyes:

As for the rest of your rant, if you’re disdainful and feel retail is beneath you, then get your high-and-mighty butt out of there! There’s no reason to spew your contempt here, as I’m sure many people would love to have the experience working in a retail setting (see threads of technicians looking for jobs).

I don’t want to assist you in derailing this thread, so if you don’t think you’re trolling, fine! However, going from several acerbic posts to outright claiming that gaining volunteer experience in retail pharmacy is a red flag is very telling. :rolleyes:

As for the rest of your rant, if you’re disdainful and feel retail is beneath you, then get your high-and-mighty butt out of there! There’s no reason to spew your contempt here, as I’m sure many people would love to have the experience working in a retail setting (see threads of technicians looking for jobs).

I agree, let the troll believe he is not trolling. What a horrible, horrible thing it is for a student to gain exposure to a profession before making a huge financial commitment. :rolleyes: