Help, How competitive do you think I am?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

goodgirl

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I need some help. I have recently withdrawn myself from the radiology match and seriously considering gas (i'd be applying next year). Now, I don't know much about the competitiveness of anesthesia, but hopefully you guys can tell me what my chances are...

School.... osteopathic
class rank.. .top quarter
COMLEX 1... 619/93%,
COMLEX 2 608/87
USMLE 1.... 234/95
USMLE 2.... 246/99

Now.... my question is, will i get interviews at top programs? And... where can I find out what the quality programs are?

Please help.. I've tried to do searches and coming up blank.

Thanks ahead of time.

Members don't see this ad.

You will get interviews at top places no problem. Nice scores by the way...Those alone will get your foot in the door. Concerning this year it is really too late to interview, but the only way to make sure is to contact programs.

Do a search for "top programs" on this site in the anesthesiology forum. Subject has been brought up many many times.

Best of luck.

Thanks, Vent.

I kept trying to search on yahoo... guess I should've just came here and did a search. Found what I needed.

Good luck everyone

Members don't see this ad :)
Your handle says goodgirl, but that icon says . . . .

Like the previous poster said, a little too late for applying this year. With those scores, you should get plenty of consideration for PGY-1 or 2 spots easily.

If you don't mind me asking, why did you withdraw from radiology?

I have no problem sharing my experiences. What it came down to was that I could not keep up with reading films/digital images. After 2-3 hours, my eyes grew tired and my attention waned. I don't think I can perform as well as others can. I have much respect for the specialty and I find the visual nature of the specialty very appealing. After long and hard thinking, I decided working 4 hours a day (the probable limits of my attention span for films) is not for me. So I decided to look for something else.

It was hard to let go of something you always thought you wanted to do. I later canceled my radiology interviews. Hope that helps... I would highly recommend rads to anyone out there who's interested.

Well, I hope you really considered Anesthesiology seriously. Yes, you'll have many cases that only require less than 2 hrs of your time, but there will be plenty of cases where you'll be pushing drugs, fluids, running pumps, etc for 5-8 hrs, especially during residency!

Don't forget, Gas isn't a laid back field....you have to be on your toes all the time...you pts can be fine 1 minute and crash the next.

Good luck!

You will land top notch interviews no problem with those scores. and yes, you do seem somewhat of a badgirl. :horns: