Help! How to approach shadowing/volunteering?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tegan05

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have recently changed my major to pre-vet and need to start getting vet experience.

How do I even begin to approach the situation?
Do I need to make a resume? What do I put on it? I have tons of experience in owning and working with animals, but nothing professional.

Do I call or do I walk-in? Should I talk to whoever answers the phone, or ask to speak to the office manager, or the vet? What do I say?

What kind of documentation do I need if I do shadow/volunteer? Do I just start writing down hours, or do they need to be signed off by someone?

Should I expect to shadow just for a few times, or do most clinics/vets allow a weekly visit or something like that?

Overall, I'm just really confused and would appreciate as much advice as possible!

Members don't see this ad.

Oh wow. Slow down partner. Its just the day after Christmas! Now in order to shadow or volunteer, I would first suggest volunteering at a shelter they are always wanting volunteers and you can always work your way to their clinic if they have one. Another thing you can do is to try rack up some hours by just calling around and asking if they accept volunteers and ask whether they would be interested in you. I'd tell them your age and your prospects now the receptionist over the phone may not care but they can direct you to the person who would. I prefer the volunteering route with shelters because thats how I got my foot in the door in the first place. Getting experience is always the easiest way to getting into a clinic but some places are nicer than others. The fact of the matter is to relax call around and if that doesnt work call the shelters and learn the basics and then perhaps even apply for a job as a kennel attendant and work your way up. Call around, ask them if they accept volunteers if they say yes explain your case or whether they would like to meet you in person. And just be overall nice. They may want you to fill out some forms if they are a shelter. Never volunteered for a vet exclusively always worked for them! =d But calm down. Im sure things will go as planned as long as you keep a cool head.

Hmm I guess I'll try to answer your questions by giving my experience.

Yes you'll need resumes, I also include cover letters too so they can see how much I want the position. I started off by volunteering at the local SPCA/animal shelters, and then at one of the private shelters I volunteer at, one of the directors is a receptionist at a vet clinic and so she got me a position at that clinic.

I also went around with my resume and cover letter to several other vet clinics but I did this a bit late in the summer and they already had their volunteer positions full. I do suggest walk in rather than calling though, because you have a chance of speaking with the vet(s) directly rather than a receptionist who may forget to pass on the message. I shadowed 3 times/week for from 9am-2pm during the summer and the vets (there were 3 there) were all really nice and let me observe surgeries, taught me about different kinds of stitches and their uses, etc.

So far I've just documented all of my hours on my own but when I need a letter of recommendation from the vets, I'll just let them know in total how many hours I've done so they can include that there.

Members don't see this ad :)
Think of other types of shelters too. I started out at a wildlife rehab shelter.

Also, ask if they are hiring too. They may not be hiring techs, but maybe receptionist or kennel staff. Take those offers too. My first veterinary job was a receptionist, and then they switched me into a tech position when it became available after 3 months.

You definitely need a resume and a cover letter. The cover letter should explain that you are looking to gain experience for veterinary school. If you need help writing a letter or resume, I suggest contacting your undergrad's career services. Most of them will help you write one, or at least have hand outs on the proper formate for a resume.

I disagree with Otakuvet. Don't call. As I said, I use to work up front for 3 months and developed a generic response to those sorts of questions: "While we are currently not hiring, we are always accepting resumes and applications. Please come in and fill one out." So skip the middle man and just go to the clinics and drop off your resume with the cover letter. Let whoever is taking it know that you are interested in both volunteering positions or employee positions.

If they say they do not accept volunteers due to insurance reasons, ask if you can fill out a waiver that exempts the clinic of any insurance responsibilities.

Good luck, and keep trying!!!

If you just want to shadow without getting hired, you can just call the office and say something like "Hi, my names XX and I'm a pre-vet at (your college) and I was wondering if I might be able to come in and shadow at your practice". And in my case, one time I gave them my name and number and the vet who owned the practice called me back the next day and told me "We do surgeries in the morning and appts in the afternoon. Just give us a call and tell us when you're coming and we'll see you then!".

In another case I spoke to the office manager and they asked me to come in and talk with them. So I did, gave them a resume with a couple references and after I sent it in they called me and we scheduled my first day.

For two separate large animal vets I shadow who own their own practices, I just emailed them that I was interested in shadowing and they asked when I was available, and I told them, and they told me what their schedule was that day and I just showed up in the morning. Now that I've been working with them for a while, if I have a free day I just text them to see if they're doing anything interesting then and they'll call and let me know. I've been able to do a LOT of hands on stuff with the large animal vets who own their own practice.

Sometimes it's just really simple! :) It depends where you are, I guess.

And when you start shadowing, I highly recommend starting an excel sheet that lists who you were shadowing, how many hours, and anything special you got to do.