Help! I am trying to switch specialties!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

SD Hopeamine

Full Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I have kind of come to the realization that ortho is not what I want out of my life. I am wanting to apply to family med but I see several programs are closing their apps on monday. I need help to know if this is something that's even doable or if I kind of screwed myself. I know it's late but any advice would be much appreciated. I am also trying to get a letter of rec and have been working on my updated personal statement for FM. Comlex ~620 and ~630 and step 245+ and 250+
 
I mean its late in the game, but you could always try a just send out a bunch of FM apps and see what happens. and if you really want to you could SOAP into a FM spot in march, but its probably not going to be in a place you like.
 
Ortho to FM is a huge change, especially on a dime (which seems to be how you're describing the scenario, correct me if I'm wrong on that). So why FM and not some other fields like general surgery, radiology, anesthesia, or IM?
 
I would definitely adapt your personal statement and make it clear why you changed your mind from ortho to FM.