Need help deciding whether to take Step 2

Started by JazD$
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

JazD$

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys! 4th year DO student here applying Peds. I took Level 2 last year, passed, but scored below average. I initially didn’t plan on taking Step 2, but I started considering it as a way to potentially strengthen my application.

Last Fall, shortly after starting fourth year, I had to go medical leave and haven’t done any academic work since then. Starting to get myself back together and am now debating whether sitting for Step 2 makes sense. Took an NBME last week just to see if I remember anything and got a 50%.

I start rotations next month and will also be doing some away rotations throughout the fall. Ideally, I would take Step 2 sometime in August so I would have results back before ERAS submission, but I’m unsure if that timeline is realistic. I have rotations scheduled in both July and August, and my main concern is not knowing whether I'll be able to have quality study time while on rotations.

Given the 50% on the NBME, it feels like August might be a bit tight. If I decide to take it later and receive my score after submitting ERAS, would that still be beneficial? Would it make sense to submit a Step score late if my Level 2 score isn't particularly strong and could potentially result in my application being filtered out before programs see the Step score?

Thoughts? Advice? Tips? TIA! 🙂
 
So you have a history of poor test taking, have not studied since last Fall, are currently on clinical rotations including Sub-Is, and plan to not only be ready to pass, but also to score highly enough for it to redeem you level 2 and by August? To be blunt this seems like a terrible idea. I think you should just perform well on your away rotations and youll be good. Youre a USDO grad youll be able to match peds. The last thing you want to do is fail a board exam.
 
Just like doing extra work for extra credit, it can only help you. A DO taking Step 2 for peds can potentially help you, but will not hurt you even if you fail. DOs dont have to report Step failure, LOL. You just wont get an interview at programs that want to see Steps. You just dont want to sink too much time into something that will likely not move the needle up for you b/c of what the last poster said. Your away sub-I will yield higher potential than taking Step 2 for your situation.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I wouldn't. Peds is DO friendly so you shouldn't have trouble getting a spot with just COMLEX scores.

Although, theoretically, you don't have to report your STEP2 score since you're not a DO either (someone correct me if I'm wrong though)
 
You don't even need Step 2 for peds. And if you don't do well on Level 2 there's not really an indication you will do any better on USMLE. A bad step score will hurt you just as much as a bad comlex score, if not moreso. Plus starting at a 50% is not good if you're planning to sit for the exam in less than two months even if you didn't have a sub-I to do well on during this time. I agree with the above poster that focusing and excelling on your sub-I will do your application a lot more favors than the slim chance that you could potentially sit for and score well on step 2.