Help! I can't laugh!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

barb

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Maybe it's just the stress of waiting for the news, but today I've found that I can't laugh. Nothing seems funny to me. I usually have a pretty good sense of humor and used to laugh all the time, but lately, I've noticed I have to strain to laugh. And today, I couldn't laugh at all. Is anybody else cracking under the pressure? I've tried telling myself that getting into (or not getting into) med school isn't as important as I'm making it out to be, but it's not working. Am I taking it all too seriously?

Members don't see this ad.

man i just don't know. but i feel the same. my stuff was definitely in pretty late. i think i'm beginning to be reviewed at some schools and i just don't know. i'm pretty scared, and definitely cracking. i'm already thinking about st. george's. at least i know that if i apply there, at least those bas-turds won't reject me. it feels so good to know for sure there's one school that won't "mess wit my emotions" (big worm--Friday)if i apply there. as far as these other schools...i don't know, but i know i feel like you.

The pressure is getting to me too. I still have not completed a secondary that I was supposed to complete a month ago, and I am at the point where the thought of writing another stupid essay on top of the gazillion other essays that I have written just makes me want to puke. What is it with these schools? I know the essays may be beneficial for us, in that they help the schools get a better picture of the candidate, but even so there are just too many of them! :eek: :eek:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Daisygirl! At least you're still gettin' 2daries to not complete. I'm still waitin' to hear from 3 schools whether I get a 2dary or not (I lament that it will probably be the latter.) I blasted home from visitin' my GF and fam in So Cal to find a sh#tload of bills and a letter from Ben-Gurion University. This isn't feelin' good at all. :( :mad: :( :confused: :mad:

i, too, share some of your feelings. at the beginning, i thought i would feel better when amcas was over, then when secondaries are over, then when interviews are over, then when i finally get accepted.

i don't want to seem like 'poor little rich girl' here because i know that i am very fortunate to have been accepted to medical school. but i also still feel like a neurotic mess and kind of want to commiserate. i think that i have pretty severe OCD and now that i finally can chill out, i still find myself checking my mail/voice mail/email like a banchee. i wish that i could just feel happier. but this is a very lonely process and very nerve-wracking. it seems horrible to think 'i'll feel better when i've decided on a school, heard from everyone, or actually started classes' because there will ALWAYS be something to worry about.

one of my new years resolutions was to live more in the present and try to just be happy where things are. so i share my frustrations and worries with you guys along with my own pledge to change that. we are all going to be okay, no matter what happens, there's always a window open. we are young and have clearly enough drive to do SOMETHING with our lives.

you gotta laugh a little, cry a little....

Alice I COMPLETELY understand where you are coming from - I feel the same way. I too also received an acceptance, yet I am impatiently waiting to hear from others. It's hard to talk about it with my family - although I have and I'm sure they're tired of it. But they don't quite understand how hard it is to get in (my father actually thinks that come Spring, I'll have to make the hard decision between choosing Yale or Harvard - I wish!!). Quite a few of my friends are pre-med but I only talk about this whole applying process if they bring it up, particularly so because most of them unfotunately haven't even had any interviews yet - although I'm sure they'll start rolling in soon - and so, who am I to even complain to them about my situation. I guess we all just have to take it one day at a time, and realize that we dont have to let this whole process consume our lives - I know it's easier said than done!

This seems like a great thread to continue, especially when I'm feeling like I can't wait any longer. I am really excited that my friends are getting interviews (and people on SDN, too!), but I'm a wreck. My AMCAS and secondaries were a little late being submitted because I traveled for a month after graduating in June, but I've been complete at a bunch of schools for months now and I honestly don't think I can check my email any more often.

There's another discussion on here about Yale, and people waiting to hear about interviews, and then other people checking their email while reading the online discussion, only to find that they suddently have an interview invitation! So I checked my email, hopefully -- nothing yet.

Anyway, I'm not really looking for answers from anyone. I know that patience is very important and that there is still time to interview...but it's just to keep that in mind when I know people who have a bunch of acceptances already!

I am in pretty much the SAME boat as you are. This whole process seriously screwed me up. First AMCAS sent off the wrong MCAT score to all the med schools (a 21S), then they screwed up my gpa, and finally I found out that some of the schools scewed up my letters of rec.

I went out 2 days ago and bought a book by Dale Carnegie called "how to stop worrying and start living"

Write the name down...buy the book...the last two nights have been the most peaceful rest that I've had in months, and I'm actually able to enjoy my days as well. I can honestly say that I'm not stressed out anymore.

Hey fellow applicants,

I feel the same pain as you all do..

UCLA2002, I am gonna check out the book you mentioned. I've got several interviews thus far, but my level of stress has heightened up even more than before. I think part of it is the thought of being rejected AFTER knowing how close I was to get accepted(getting up to the interview stage usually means I've made to the top 10% of the pool). UCD said that they won't rank the applicants in the acceptable pool til June...I will definitely die before that for sure.(I gotta keep reminding myself that "patience" is the virtue of this game). Good luck to you all!

can some1 help poor Barb laugh!!!

I totally appreciate all the comments. I was really feeling down the other day and it has been comforting knowing I'm not alone in these feelings. You know, misery loves company, that's why you don't see flies on a no pest strip saying "go around! go around!"

UCLA2000, I'm definitely going to check out that book.
I have also found that several days of non-stop video game playing also eases the nerves a bit. BTW, does anyone know how to get to third level of Lara Croft? I've been trying for the last three days and I'm stuck!

Vic, your post made me giggle a bit.

:D nice start!!!