First of all let me explain how i have a passion for acting. i plan to balance medical career with acting!! ( i will be very busy won't i? please inform me) i also have NO IDEA what career in the medical field is for me! i was so sure i would be a pharmacist but then i turned around and i'm looking in the physician career!! my teacher once told me i would be a good orthopedist. i dont know yet! ALSO what should i major/minor in? I AM VERYYY CONFUSED. please help! how many years in school will this take?? how much money will i need to borrow?
1. It's totally normal to feel that way. I don't know what I want to do in medicne yet, either, and I'm in freakin med school
2. It's definitely possible to have side-interests or careers as a doctor. I was talking to one of our Emergency Medicine docs and he was very proud and eager to share what a great lifestyle ER has. He basically works like 7 or 8 ten-hour shifts per month. He said one of the other attendings does carpentery and another is an actor...the guy like considers himself an actor first and a doctor second, and has plenty of time to audition in LA and get work. But the thing is, they're all making $300K+ in the ER
😉 ...or at least that's what I was told by this doc. Obviously, he really loves his job and ironically probably spends another 30 hours/week doing extra teaching stuff for us.
3. You need to figure out why you're interested in something medical because "medical" is really so broad. It sounds more like you're just looking for a stable career, which is fine. But you could have a stable career as an acting teacher or something like that too, if you actually don't like medicine. There's a big difference between pharmacy, nursing, medicine, physician-assistants, etc. You could be an acupuncturist, chiropractor (boo), audiologist, allergist, etc. I didn't realize how cool dentistry is until I got through some med school
🙂 Try to get some exposure by learning more and going out to see what they actually do.
4. Keep your options open. I can't stress that enough. In college you can go out and major in whatever you want, take classes in whatever you want, and really explore your options. It's a lot of fun. But keep the medical path open...which means take the pre-requisites (Bio, Chem, etc.), starting your freshman year. Know the application process for your potential future field, keep scars off your transcript, etc. It's easy to go out and get a couple C's in elective classes and accidentally mess up your future in medicine. So it's a lot harder to keep the medical door open than the acting one. Be smart about your explorations and you'll find the right path for you. You definitely don't want a career in acting just because you failed freshman chemistry.