HELP!!! I don't think I want to be a DO anymore!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shinken

Family Medicine
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I really need help! Please, I don’t know what to do.

I’m going to graduate from DO school in 2008, but I’m thinking of transferring to an MD school. I heard from my friend’s cousin’s girlfriend that DOs can only do residencies in rural family practice. I don’t believe in facts, I only believe in hearsay.

In addition to my quandary about residencies, I also overheard a patient say that his great uncle’s nephew said that DOs get no respect and cannot work in hospitals. IS THIS TRUE?!?!? Please help me! Should I stay at my DO school?!?!

PLEASE HELP ME DECIDE!! I CANNOT MAKE IMPORTANT LIFE DECISIONS ON MY OWN UNLESS I HEAR WHAT COMPLETE STRANGERS ON THE INTERNET TELL ME!!!!

HELP ME OBI WAN!!! YOU’RE MY ONLY HOPE!!!!

(Whew! I feel so much better now…)

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don’t forget, DO’s can only practice in the deep back country on high mountain tops. They don’t use any medications; they make brews by boiling the bones of the patients stupid enough to go to them. I would get out of DO school now (your tuition was paid in crayons anyway) and get into something proven and respectable, like diagnostic astrology or palm reading oncology.

apply for mercy to the aoa gods ? get rejected and go to ama hell. have fun. :laugh: :sleep:

i always thought that DOs were an incestual bunch of quacks that cannot tie their shoes and just graduated from kindergarden. i mean, osteopathic medicine is really just something designed in an arts and crafts class that had to create a take-me-home science experiment. and the standards to be a DO? wow! can't surpass how easy it is. i hear that the new requirements to gain acceptance are ten jumping jacks, being able to count to ten, knowing the abc's, and being an owner of velcro shoes (since we aren't smart or coordinated enough to tie our own shoes). yeah i mean, if u want a real residency go MD...if you are osteopathic trained, forget it. might as well revert to bloodletting, voodoo, and witchcraft.

Kubed said:
Don’t forget, DO’s can only practice in the deep back country on high mountain tops. They don’t use any medications; they make brews by boiling the bones of the patients stupid enough to go to them. I would get out of DO school now (your tuition was paid in crayons anyway) and get into something proven and respectable, like diagnostic astrology or palm reading oncology.

Freshnstylin said:
... if you are osteopathic trained, forget it. might as well revert to bloodletting, voodoo, and witchcraft.

What do you mean by “revert” to voodoo? I just bought my books for this year. I got a great deal on half.com for one of my immunology books: “Cord of Blood : Possession and the Making of Voodoo.” Only $80. Now if only I could find a copy of “Intro to witchcraft.” The university bookstore is out.

Shinken said:

I’m going to graduate from DO school in 2008, but I’m thinking of transferring to an MD school. I heard from my friend’s cousin’s girlfriend that DOs can only do residencies in rural family practice. I don’t believe in facts, I only believe in hearsay.

In addition to my quandary about residencies, I also overheard a patient say that his great uncle’s nephew said that DOs get no respect and cannot work in hospitals. IS THIS TRUE?!?!? Please help me! Should I stay at my DO school?!?!

PLEASE HELP ME DECIDE!! I CANNOT MAKE IMPORTANT LIFE DECISIONS ON MY OWN UNLESS I HEAR WHAT COMPLETE STRANGERS ON THE INTERNET TELL ME!!!!

:laugh: :laugh: wow... needed that... :)

:laugh: :laugh: Perking up my day! :laugh: :laugh:

You're completely wrong.

My neighbor's aunt's nephew's brother in law is a DO, but he bought a MD certificate from some Carribean witchdoctor school. At first he could only work in rural areas, but ever since he bought those two letters, he's been able to fufill his dreams of becoming a pediatric neurosurgeon.

Sooo, you CAN be successful if you're a DO... If you buy the MD initials..
:laugh:

PerryCox said:
You're completely wrong.

My neighbor's aunt's nephew's brother in law is a DO, but he bought a MD certificate from some Carribean witchdoctor school. At first he could only work in rural areas, but ever since he bought those two letters, he's been able to fufill his dreams of becoming a pediatric neurosurgeon.

Sooo, you CAN be successful if you're a DO... If you buy the MD initials..

No! No! No! You got it all wrong. It was my cousins' aunts' neighbors' sister-in- law who was the DO and bought her MD degree from the tribal shaman school in the south pacific. Before she would have to bow her head and not look directly at any MD or any 3rd year allopathic student who had completed thier rotation in IM. Needless to say those days are far gone and now she is fullfilling her dream of becoming a Radiation Oncologist at John Hopkins.

You cant get a small detaail like that right... You must be a DO. Sheesh!

Graduate high in your class and do well on the USMLE's, get a good allo residency and you can go anywhere.

Members don't see this ad :)
endAIDScom said:
Graduate high in your class and do well on the USMLE's, get a good allo residency and you can go anywhere.

What?!? :eek: You must have all your information wrong. DOs cannot get into allo residencies (or so I've heard from a friend's friend who knows the daughter of a residency program director's hairdresser).

Freshnstylin said:
i always thought that DOs were an incestual bunch of quacks that cannot tie their shoes and just graduated from kindergarden. i mean, osteopathic medicine is really just something designed in an arts and crafts class that had to create a take-me-home science experiment. and the standards to be a DO? wow! can't surpass how easy it is. i hear that the new requirements to gain acceptance are ten jumping jacks, being able to count to ten, knowing the abc's, and being an owner of velcro shoes (since we aren't smart or coordinated enough to tie our own shoes). yeah i mean, if u want a real residency go MD...if you are osteopathic trained, forget it. might as well revert to bloodletting, voodoo, and witchcraft.

I sort of slipped in without knowing my acb's. Will there be a review before the test????????????? :scared:

Shinken said:

That is NOT true!

You can work in a BIG CITY but only as a surrogate GRADE SCHOOL NURSE. On the side you can suppliment your income by DRAWING BLOOD AT THE COUNTY HOSPITAL.

Docgeorge said:
No! No! No! You got it all wrong. It was my cousins' aunts' neighbors' sister-in- law who was the DO and bought her MD degree from the tribal shaman school in the south pacific. Before she would have to bow her head and not look directly at any MD or any 3rd year allopathic student who had completed thier rotation in IM. Needless to say those days are far gone and now she is fullfilling her dream of becoming a Radiation Oncologist at John Hopkins.

You cant get a small detaail like that right... You must be a DO. Sheesh!

LOL :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

I heard that DOs would rip off their shameful "Name, D.O." tags and replace them with with the more-respectable "Name, VOLUNTEER" badges just so people wouldn't spit them right in the face.

Kubed said:
Don’t forget, DO’s can only practice in the deep back country on high mountain tops. They don’t use any medications; they make brews by boiling the bones of the patients stupid enough to go to them.....

my d.o rec was from ted kazinsky..he was a d.o. believe it or not..yup..my aunt's nephew's, friend's dad hooked me up with him...he was back country alright..he made potions and stuff and they were so potent...explosive if i say so myself... :laugh:

GqDocStar said:
my d.o rec was from ted kazinsky..he was a d.o. believe it or not..yup..my aunt's nephew's, friend's dad hooked me up with him...he was back country alright..he made potions and stuff and they were so potent...explosive if i say so myself... :laugh:

... and oh so tasty

You people should not be making asinine assumptions about DOs before understanding our unique tumultuous history. Here is a brief synopsis:

Whereas M.D. is an abbreviation for “Medicinae Doctor,” Latin for “Doctor of Medicine,” the title of D.O. is an abbreviation for “Devotee of Osiris.”

Since its conception nearly four hundred years ago, the title “MD” has been a front for a secret Draconic society dedicated to the worship of the god, Re (often referred to as Amun-Re, the grand creator of all things). This is why the decoder rings worn by all MDs all have the symbol of the Eye of Re, along with the MD’s respective alma mater.

By invoking the divine presence of Re, MDs (in ancient times called the high Clerics of Amun) are able to conjure powerful healing energies said to be physical manifestations of their Most Blessed Re, that counteractively vanquished the evil energies of Seth, the dark god of storms and destruction, which cause disease and the imbalance of humors in all living things. It is rumored that the battle between the Amun-Re and Seth has been at a standstill since the beginning of Time, as neither god could gain precedence over the other in the plane we know as the mortal demesne. The Clerics of Amun survived the fall of Egypt (1567 B.C. to 1085 B.C) and the consequent domination of the Western world by Christianity by maintaining hyper-secretive sects throughout Europe. It is a common misconception that “Western medicine” is based upon the philosophies championed by the Corpus Hippocraticum, which is actually a loose translation of the Holy Runes of Ishtar, as Hippocrates himself was known to be a high priest of a Grecian sect of Clerics of Amun.

Realizing that a Pagan sect could not survive much longer in the late Medieval Era, the great leaders of the Clerics of Amun organized a meeting, (exact date unknown) in which they declared that they would reintegrate into the socio-political climate by labeling each of their clerics “Medicinae Doctor,” (MD) who follows a purportedly “allopathic” regimen of medical diagnosis. All the while, the Clerics of Amun continued to evoke the divine energies of their god and attributed all clinical success to a “scientific model.”

The Nineteenth Century in Western medicine saw the emergence of the worship of lesser gods. The emergence of Sectarian medicine followed the precedent set forth by allopaths, in which the worship of other, lesser, gods were likewise disguised by supposed approaches to healing. This included, but was not limited to the worship of: Horus, ruler of the sky (Homeopathy), Thoth, god of wisdom (hydropathy), Sobek, the crocodile god (Eclectic medicine), and finally, Osiris, god of the underworld (osteopathy).

Those that worshipped the lesser gods would likewise evoke the powers of their deities to administer healing, not unlike the way in which the Clerics of Amun had treated disease for thousands of years. DOs, or the Devotees of Osiris, for example, conjure Osiris through the hallowed ritual of Osiris’s Magnificent Magic (OMM).

The Clerics of Amun perceived the worship of lesser gods as an insult to the Great Amun-Re, and established a coalition to end the worship of lesser gods, called the AMA, (Allopathic Masters of Amun) which has, over the past century, nearly driven the other schools of worship to extinction.

It must be noted, however, that divine prophecy, as so written in the Holy Runes of Ishtar, stated that such a persecution would happen, and that, regardless of the antagonism between the Clerics of Amun and those that worship the lesser gods, Thoth, Sobek, Osiris, and the most exalted Amun-Re would one day combine their forces to extinguish the evil presence of Seth and drive the murderous god of Lies from the mortal plane forever.

Wow

I also heard DO's were only qualified to pull farmers heads out of cows arses. IS this true. It was my mom's friends brother who, during an affair with my mom stated that after smoking a blunt she read in the clouds this was ABSOLUTE FACT!

Shinken said:

john did you make all that up or is it a casual reference to some fantasy book I never read??

beastmaster said:
john did you make all that up or is it a casual reference to some fantasy book I never read??

Egyptian mythology. :thumbup: (Which is not mythology because it is 100% true.)

Acknowledge your true Lord, Osiris, Master of the Underworld, or face the wrath of the abyss, heathen! :thumbdown:

Hmm, and all this time I was waiting to learn how to treat other animals, like dogs and cats. I thought that since this was wholistic, that I would learn to treat all life forms...

Imagine my amazement when I started my OB rotation in the Backwoods, and not once did we even enter the barn...I thought that it was reserved for senior residents or fellows to deliver horses and chickens, and learned one night while on call that I was written up for leaving the labor and delivery floor...

Oh well. I think I'll just finish these four years learning how to treat humans. No more learning for me! lol

Dies Irae said:
You people should not be making asinine assumptions about DOs before understanding our unique tumultuous history. Here is a brief synopsis:

Whereas M.D. is an abbreviation for “Medicinae Doctor,” Latin for “Doctor of Medicine,” the title of D.O. is an abbreviation for “Devotee of Osiris.”

Since its conception nearly four hundred years ago, the title “MD” has been a front for a secret Draconic society dedicated to the worship of the god, Re (often referred to as Amun-Re, the grand creator of all things). This is why the decoder rings worn by all MDs all have the symbol of the Eye of Re, along with the MD’s respective alma mater.

By invoking the divine presence of Re, MDs (in ancient times called the high Clerics of Amun) are able to conjure powerful healing energies said to be physical manifestations of their Most Blessed Re, that counteractively vanquished the evil energies of Seth, the dark god of storms and destruction, which cause disease and the imbalance of humors in all living things. It is rumored that the battle between the Amun-Re and Seth has been at a standstill since the beginning of Time, as neither god could gain precedence over the other in the plane we know as the mortal demesne. The Clerics of Amun survived the fall of Egypt (1567 B.C. to 1085 B.C) and the consequent domination of the Western world by Christianity by maintaining hyper-secretive sects throughout Europe. It is a common misconception that “Western medicine” is based upon the philosophies championed by the Corpus Hippocraticum, which is actually a loose translation of the Holy Runes of Ishtar, as Hippocrates himself was known to be a high priest of a Grecian sect of Clerics of Amun.

Realizing that a Pagan sect could not survive much longer in the late Medieval Era, the great leaders of the Clerics of Amun organized a meeting, (exact date unknown) in which they declared that they would reintegrate into the socio-political climate by labeling each of their clerics “Medicinae Doctor,” (MD) who follows a purportedly “allopathic” regimen of medical diagnosis. All the while, the Clerics of Amun continued to evoke the divine energies of their god and attributed all clinical success to a “scientific model.”

The Nineteenth Century in Western medicine saw the emergence of the worship of lesser gods. The emergence of Sectarian medicine followed the precedent set forth by allopaths, in which the worship of other, lesser, gods were likewise disguised by supposed approaches to healing. This included, but was not limited to the worship of: Horus, ruler of the sky (Homeopathy), Thoth, god of wisdom (hydropathy), Sobek, the crocodile god (Eclectic medicine), and finally, Osiris, god of the underworld (osteopathy).

Those that worshipped the lesser gods would likewise evoke the powers of their deities to administer healing, not unlike the way in which the Clerics of Amun had treated disease for thousands of years. DOs, or the Devotees of Osiris, for example, conjure Osiris through the hallowed ritual of Osiris’s Magnificent Magic (OMM).

The Clerics of Amun perceived the worship of lesser gods as an insult to the Great Amun-Re, and established a coalition to end the worship of lesser gods, called the AMA, (Allopathic Masters of Amun) which has, over the past century, nearly driven the other schools of worship to extinction.

It must be noted, however, that divine prophecy, as so written in the Holy Runes of Ishtar, stated that such a persecution would happen, and that, regardless of the antagonism between the Clerics of Amun and those that worship the lesser gods, Thoth, Sobek, Osiris, and the most exalted Amun-Re would one day combine their forces to extinguish the evil presence of Seth and drive the murderous god of Lies from the mortal plane forever.

WOW. I'm speechless. :eek:

Dies Irae said:
Craziness

You should turn this all into some crazy Da Vinci Code-ish book :laugh:.

Dies Irae said:

oh..my bad...i thought something more like:

"EARTH!" "FIRE!" "WIND!" "WATER!" "HEART!"

"By your powers combined, I am Captain Planet!"
"Go Planet!"

Captain Planet, he's our hero
Gonna take pollution down to zero
He's our powers magnified
And he's fighting on the planet's side

Gonna help him put asunder
Bad guys who like to loot and plunder
"You'll pay for this Captain Planet!"

We're the Planeteers
You can be one too
'Cause saving our planet is the thing to do!
Looting and polluting is not the way
Hear what Captain Planet has to say!
"The Power is Yours!"

HPL_roflmao-thumb.jpg

GqDocStar said:
oh..my bad...i thought something more like:

"EARTH!" "FIRE!" "WIND!" "WATER!" "HEART!"

"By your powers combined, I am Captain Planet!"
"Go Planet!"

He's our powers magnified
And he's fighting on the planet's side

Gonna help him put asunder
Bad guys who like to loot and plunder
"You'll pay for this Captain Planet!"

We're the Planeteers
You can be one too
'Cause saving our planet is the thing to do!
Looting and polluting is not the way
Hear what Captain Planet has to say!
"The Power is Yours!"

Was that from memory?

Shinken said:

Press Release Archive Baltimore, MD

DR. HATEM ABDO, DIRECTOR OF NEUROSURGERY ASSOCIATES, ANNOUNCES THE ADDITION
OF TWO NEW SURGEONS

Neurosurgery Associates at Mercy Welcomes Drs. Aflatoon, Iuliano

As part of The Neurosurgery Associates'continuing efforts to serve patient needs, neurosurgeon Dr. Hatem Abdo, director of the program, has announced the addition of two new physicians to his staff: Drs. Kamran Aflatoon and Brian A. Iuliano, both are residents of Baltimore City.

Dr. Aflatoon recently completed his orthopedic spine fellowship at Johns Hopkins Medical Center, and a fellowship in orthopedic oncology at Johns Hopkins and Sinai Medical Centers. Dr. Aflatoon earned his medical degree at the Kirksville College of Osteopathic Medicine in Kirksville, Missouri. He has numerous publications and presentations to his credit on such topics as treatment of osteoporotic bone and the management of hip fractures.

Dr. Iuliano joins Mercy after completing his residence in Neurosurgery at the Mayo Graduate School of Medicine in Rochester, Minnesota. He earned his medical degree from the Mayo Medical School and has completed his fellowship in neurosurgical research in the Department of Neurologic Surgery, Mayo Graduate School of Medicine.

Dr. Iuliano also has authored many clinical publications and presentations on a variety of neurosurgical related disorders.

"I am extremely pleased to welcome two surgeons of the caliber of Drs. Iuliano and Aflatoon to the Neurosurgery Associates at Mercy. Mercy offers comprehensive neurosurgical services that adhere to the highest standards of skill and expertise. The addition of Drs. Iuliano and Aflatoon is indicative of our continuing efforts to deliver the best in medical care to our patients," Dr. Abdo said.

jhubiophysics said:
Press Release Archive Baltimore, MD

DR. HATEM ABDO, DIRECTOR OF NEUROSURGERY ASSOCIATES, ANNOUNCES THE ADDITION
OF TWO NEW SURGEONS

Neurosurgery Associates at Mercy Welcomes Drs. Aflatoon, Iuliano

As part of The Neurosurgery Associates'continuing efforts to serve patient needs, neurosurgeon Dr. Hatem Abdo, director of the program, has announced the addition of two new physicians to his staff: Drs. Kamran Aflatoon and Brian A. Iuliano, both are residents of Baltimore City.

Dr. Aflatoon recently completed his orthopedic spine fellowship at Johns Hopkins Medical Center, and a fellowship in orthopedic oncology at Johns Hopkins and Sinai Medical Centers. Dr. Aflatoon earned his medical degree at the Kirksville College of Osteopathic Medicine in Kirksville, Missouri. He has numerous publications and presentations to his credit on such topics as treatment of osteoporotic bone and the management of hip fractures.

Dr. Iuliano joins Mercy after completing his residence in Neurosurgery at the Mayo Graduate School of Medicine in Rochester, Minnesota. He earned his medical degree from the Mayo Medical School and has completed his fellowship in neurosurgical research in the Department of Neurologic Surgery, Mayo Graduate School of Medicine.

Dr. Iuliano also has authored many clinical publications and presentations on a variety of neurosurgical related disorders.

"I am extremely pleased to welcome two surgeons of the caliber of Drs. Iuliano and Aflatoon to the Neurosurgery Associates at Mercy. Mercy offers comprehensive neurosurgical services that adhere to the highest standards of skill and expertise. The addition of Drs. Iuliano and Aflatoon is indicative of our continuing efforts to deliver the best in medical care to our patients," Dr. Abdo said.

This thread was created for the purpose of making fun of ignorant pre-meds. Please refrain from taking it seriously. :thumbup:

Mike MacKinnon said:
Wow

I also heard DO's were only qualified to pull farmers heads out of cows arses. IS this true. It was my mom's friends brother who, during an affair with my mom stated that after smoking a blunt she read in the clouds this was ABSOLUTE FACT!

no, no I think DO's can only pull fingers - what is this abc thing people are talking about???

Our DO school has finally stepped up to the plate, in regards to the true philosophy of osteopathy.....

We replaced our pathology course with small group readings of the Harry Potter series and replaced our pharmacology text with The Complete Idiot's Guide(R) to Voodoo (Paperback) by Shannon R Turlington, That one word conjures up exotic, bewitching images: Zombies shuffling through a graveyard at night; pins stuck in crudely fashioned dolls as an enemy..."

Anatomy has been replace with scientology, so we can simply transcend our bodies and look at ourselves. No more stinky cadavers.

Finally!!

Congrats, Globus P! Your school is the best.

Pathology is truly an asinine subject. I mean, come on! "Germs" causing disease? Insane. People don't realize that it's a Germ THEORY. Like the Theory of Relativity or the Theory of Evolution. Until you prove it, it's not true. Disease is caused by somatic dysfunction of the bones, joints and muscles and the innervation and vascularity thereof. Until the allopathic medical community accepts this fact, they're going to continue their drug-induced and surgery-induced genocide.

(Read this line with your best Tom Cruise voice impersonation) You don't know the history of Pathology. I do.

endAIDScom said:
It is fascinating how humor is completely lost on some people.

Truly nice work :D

Funniest thing I've read on these forums in quite some time!

LabMonster said:
Truly nice work :D

Funniest thing I've read on these forums in quite some time!

93_1024.ts1123126290906.jpg

It all makes sense now. I was wondering why my wife asks me to introduce myself to her folks as an Amway distributor after mentioning something about "...a more respectable profession..."