Help I need your advice- 31 yr old RDH thinking of Dental School..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rdh777

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im a 31 year old Dental Hygienist practiced as RDH for 3 years and Burnt out! Need more of a challenge, and tired of routine Perio cleanings. My initial goal was to go straight into Dental School but got married and had children. I now have a 7 year old, 1 year old and 3 month old. I'm actually on maternity leave and due to go back in 3 weeks! The thought of going back to that office and continuing my job as a Dental Hygienist honestly, depresses me!:confused:

I have been in the Dental field as a DA and then a RDA since age 19- worked at several practices, different specialties and know a wide array of info and am knowledgeable in the Dental field. I am constantly envisioning myself owning my own practice, making a bigger difference in peoples lives, volunteering as a DDS in third world- underprivileged countries, and perhaps earning more money to secure a better future for my children.

I am currently in about 70K debt from Hygiene school and expect to be in even more debt after DDS school- perhaps 300K to 400K.

My dilemma- hear me out and let me know what you think!:D

A. Do I stick with the RDH position earning 90k+ a year, not being happy with what I do, but securing a future for my children as I save money from the DH career? By the way I feel I will REGRET not taking this opportunity as Im in my early 30's and still have the energy to go back to school.

OR

B. Should I stay home and depend on my husbands "decent" salary and go back to school for Pre-reqs, and spend more time with my children at home and hope to apply to Dental School in about 2 or 3 years from now? Children will be a little older in this case. Apply for Dental School 2013- 2014 and hope to become a DDS by age 38 or so?

If I choose plan B that is- pursuing Dental School, I may be struggling financially as my husbands income will only make ends meet and not more than that. I will have to learn to cut ends and budget a bit better and possibly not be able to give my children everything they want for a while. Does that make me a greedy parent? Also my husband seems supportive but I just dont know how stressful DDS School is- Im hoping it wouldn't cause me problems in my marriage- high stress levels?

If I chose plan A and go back to Hygiene forever- I know I will regret it in the future and always say "I wish I would have went for it".

Its a tough situation for me and I need to make a decision fast. I must let my employer know if I will be returning to my DH position soon! Let me know what you think is the more realistic plan?

I hope to be able to make a decision soon so I can have peace of mind again! My heart tells me to go for Dental School but reality is telling me to PASS on my wants and settle with DH.

What do you think? Thanks for your time!:)

Members don't see this ad.

If you're only going back to school to take your pre-requisites, you can work part time. There are many people out there who work full time with a full courseload, part time with a full course load..you'll essentially be doing part-time with a part-time job. You can do it.

I agree with working part time, lessening the stress on your husband and family until you get to Dental school. I think its clear you want it, you seem mature, and I think you should go for it. Clearly you are not satisfied being a DH, so go for it, even if you end up with all the debt and might have to live life stressed out for 4-6 years, at the end, you will be significantly happier you accomplished your dream.

Have you ever taken any pre-reqs before? If not, do you plan on taking them at a 4-year or a Community college? how familiar are you with the process? Do you have a bachelors degree?

Members don't see this ad :)
I do have an Associates in Bio, I would now need to take upper level Bio and Math courses- pre reqs for Dental School and of course make sure I do well with High GPA.

I agree and thank you for your opinion- if I am not as successful at the end, at least I will know I went for it and fulfilled my dream. Its sorta like a Gambling game huh It seems. I could work as a DH full time and make a nice living/income for my family. Or I can become an even more successful Dentist. Its a Big risk when you have dependents.

Okay so as far as working Part time- I thought about that too...Work Part time and go to school Part or Full Time and raising 3 kids, now that sounds a bit stressful! So I thought of another option with young kids- hear me out. I'm against people that ask for financial help AKA- social services better knows as "welfare" but I know that I can receive financial assistance plus Health Insurance and decreased "low income rent" if I apply for AID. So I was actually thinking of applying for AID for the kids which would allow me to live half way decent. Aid plus my husbands income would probably be equivalent as to if I went back to work Part time. This way I wouldn't have the stress of working.

I have not applied for AID or "welfare" and not sure If Ill be accepted or how it works, and actually never thought I would come across this road, but I am a mother who wants to better my future and secure a better future for my children and wants to go back to school and in turn have a more significant impact on the world/economy in need of temporary help ie; welfare, raising my children while going back to school. This way I can spend more quality time raising my children as well.

I hate to be absent from their lives at such a young age if I work PT and go to school- I probably will have higher stress levels, lower grades, and also not be able to spend time with my children.

Only a BIG problem now is that my office manager calls me this morning leaving a message that I need to call her back giving her my "return to work" date. I have not applied for "welfare" yet and dont know if I will qualify or how much they will actually be able to help me. And Im not sure my DDS will hold my position for me another month so I can trial it out.

Im thinking of asking my office to hold my job as a temp continues to hold my position for another month and see if I can get any AID. If not, and all fails I guess I will have to take on the extra load of work+school+ raising kids which will be very challenging.

My only hope is that when I call my manager today will she be willing to hold my position while I try this other alternative? Reason I cant work while applying for AID is that if I have any type of income- I can not apply for assistance.

I am trying to avoid financial hardship and stress on my husband as well- because I know of some relationships and marriages going down the drain during financial struggles.

What do you think I should do now???

Thanks so much for your input it has really helped put some pieces together!! I think Im getting closer to a final decision! I just need a bit more advice!:confused:

You shouldn't apply for welfare. It's just not right for you to take money that should go to people who needs it more - people who don't have much job prospects or they are down on their luck. You have a guarenteed 90k job waiting for you and instead you would choose to apply for welfare AND take out a 300k+ loan at the same time so you can go to a professional school? That's just not right.

Im a 31 year old Dental Hygienist practiced as RDH for 3 years and Burnt out! Need more of a challenge, and tired of routine Perio cleanings. My initial goal was to go straight into Dental School but got married and had children. I now have a 7 year old, 1 year old and 3 month old. I'm actually on maternity leave and due to go back in 3 weeks! The thought of going back to that office and continuing my job as a Dental Hygienist honestly, depresses me!:confused:

I have been in the Dental field as a DA and then a RDA since age 19- worked at several practices, different specialties and know a wide array of info and am knowledgeable in the Dental field. I am constantly envisioning myself owning my own practice, making a bigger difference in peoples lives, volunteering as a DDS in third world- underprivileged countries, and perhaps earning more money to secure a better future for my children.

I am currently in about 70K debt from Hygiene school and expect to be in even more debt after DDS school- perhaps 300K to 400K.

A. Do I stick with the RDH position earning 90k+ a year, not being happy with what I do, but securing a future for my children as I save money from the DH career? By the way I feel I will REGRET not taking this opportunity as Im in my early 30's and still have the energy to go back to school.

OR

B. Should I stay home and depend on my husbands "decent" salary and go back to school for Pre-reqs, and spend more time with my children at home and hope to apply to Dental School in about 2 or 3 years from now? Children will be a little older in this case. Apply for Dental School 2013- 2014 and hope to become a DDS by age 38 or so?

If I choose plan B that is- pursuing Dental School, I may be struggling financially as my husbands income will only make ends meet and not more than that. I will have to learn to cut ends and budget a bit better and possibly not be able to give my children everything they want for a while. Does that make me a greedy parent? Also my husband seems supportive but I just dont know how stressful DDS School is- Im hoping it wouldn't cause me problems in my marriage- high stress levels?

If I chose plan A and go back to Hygiene forever- I know I will regret it in the future and always say "I wish I would have went for it".

Its a tough situation for me and I need to make a decision fast. I must let my employer know if I will be returning to my DH position soon! Let me know what you think is the more realistic plan?

I hope to be able to make a decision soon so I can have peace of mind again! My heart tells me to go for Dental School but reality is telling me to PASS on my wants and settle with DH.

I was in a similar situation back in '06. My choices were
a) forget dentistry
b) quit fulltime job (I was making good $$$ in I.T) and go after dentistry
c) stay at fulltime job and go part-time college to finish pre-reqs.

I did option C. option B was impossible, I needed to support myself..... Took me a long time to get through the pre-reqs (sucks being part-time student) but the advantage of all that is............... I'll be starting dental school in 2 months.

If I was in your shoes, I wouldn't quit my job. Spend at least 1 to 1.5 years being part-time student and feel yourself out.

I went back to school two years ago. I'm married and have two little girls- 3 y/o and 5 y/o. Being in school with children is stressful, but rewarding. My life is now chaos, but I'm happy and the family is doing fine. You don't have to make a decision today. I suggest you go back to work and stockpile some serious money. Try living off your husband's salary and saving your paycheck. You can live on less. No more restaurants, the kids don't need a new toy every time you go to the store, cut the cable bill, etc. Try it out for 6 months or a year and see if you can swing the change financially.

Personally I don't think I could have done well in school with a new baby. I was too sleep deprived to be able to concentrate and think clearly (my second woke up every 2-3 hours for months). Many students work while going to school full time, but its not feasible if you're a parent (unless your spouse will take on 95% of the parenting duties). I can't study while my kids are awake. I study while they are in daycare or early in the morning/late at night while they are sleeping.

Maybe you could eventually cut back on your hours and just take one class to see if its really what you want to do before you give up a good job in this economy.

Good luck!

Boredom doesn't exactly qualify as a good reason to switch careers.

Hello and thank you so so much for your advice! The different perspectives def helps a lot!

As to going on "welfare" to help raise my children I understand that there are people that may need it more and Im sure that those people will receive the help they need. Whether or not I get help will not affect them. My help would only be temporary, although there are people that go into it long term and are just purely lazy and unmotivated. I am not one of them that is for sure.

However I must add that If I did not have dependents, "welfare" or any type of financial assistance would be the last thing on my mind. I have 3 young children that depend on me, yes that is true, but I also can not go back to Hygiene feeling the guilt that "why didn't I try for Dental School" when I'm in my 40's. I don't feel that having children should totally eliminate the possibility of fulfilling one's dreams or desires if it is possible. Do you?

Its not only about being "Bored" with DH. Yes it is rewarding in that I am interacting with people, it is rewarding that as a DH we are educating patients and improving/ possibly curing and reversing Perio Disease. Dont get me wrong- Dental Hygienists are Professional Clinicians making a great difference in peoples lives and I value this, but I need challenge, I would like to make more of a change in peoples lives- above and beyond Perio Health. To be able to makeover a patients' oral health both Periodontally and Cosmetically is what I am after.

I know I have it in me to be a great Dentist and make a bigger change and of course, I must admit I don't want to work for a Dentist anymore. I would like to be my own boss, run my own practice. If he can do it, why cant I? Yes 3 children sets me back a bit but I need to find a way even if it takes me 10+ years to do it, or I feel I will have regrets later in life.

Im not sure exactly why I feel so passionate about Dentistry these days. i always knew I wanted to be a Dentist but I m just not sure why I am so driven to go for it especially the past 6 months I would say?...

To - you know the drill- mom of 2 young children, your story gives me more power and your advice is great! It shows me there is hope even with children. I am considering going back to work PT but I know it will be even more challenging and going Part time I will not be able to afford Health insurance for my Children =( This is why I was looking into not working at all and perhaps I would qualify for Medi- cal? Going back to work- I would also have to look into Day care and that costs $$ too.

Gosh....its so much more difficult with dependents.

Maybe I should work and take one class just to feel it out like you said? Gosh...here I go again becoming more confused. Im literally in a crisis and its because I have my job waiting for me....I must get back to them or they will replace me.

Thanks again!!:confused:

Thank you great advice! =))) Appreciate your time

Hello and thank you so so much for your advice! The different perspectives def helps a lot!

As to going on "welfare" to help raise my children I understand that there are people that may need it more and Im sure that those people will receive the help they need. Whether or not I get help will not affect them. My help would only be temporary, although there are people that go into it long term and are just purely lazy and unmotivated. I am not one of them that is for sure.

However I must add that If I did not have dependents, "welfare" or any type of financial assistance would be the last thing on my mind. I have 3 young children that depend on me, yes that is true, but I also can not go back to Hygiene feeling the guilt that "why didn't I try for Dental School" when I'm in my 40's. I don't feel that having children should totally eliminate the possibility of fulfilling one's dreams or desires if it is possible. Do you?

Its not only about being "Bored" with DH. Yes it is rewarding in that I am interacting with people, it is rewarding that as a DH we are educating patients and improving/ possibly curing and reversing Perio Disease. Dont get me wrong- Dental Hygienists are Professional Clinicians making a great difference in peoples lives and I value this, but I need challenge, I would like to make more of a change in peoples lives- above and beyond Perio Health. To be able to makeover a patients' oral health both Periodontally and Cosmetically is what I am after.

I know I have it in me to be a great Dentist and make a bigger change and of course, I must admit I don't want to work for a Dentist anymore. I would like to be my own boss, run my own practice. If he can do it, why cant I? Yes 3 children sets me back a bit but I need to find a way even if it takes me 10+ years to do it, or I feel I will have regrets later in life.

Im not sure exactly why I feel so passionate about Dentistry these days. i always knew I wanted to be a Dentist but I m just not sure why I am so driven to go for it especially the past 6 months I would say?...

To - you know the drill- mom of 2 young children, your story gives me more power and your advice is great! It shows me there is hope even with children. I am considering going back to work PT but I know it will be even more challenging and going Part time I will not be able to afford Health insurance for my Children =( This is why I was looking into not working at all and perhaps I would qualify for Medi- cal? Going back to work- I would also have to look into Day care and that costs $$ too.

Gosh....its so much more difficult with dependents.

Maybe I should work and take one class just to feel it out like you said? Gosh...here I go again becoming more confused. Im literally in a crisis and its because I have my job waiting for me....I must get back to them or they will replace me.

Thanks again!!:confused:

First of all... you don't know any of us any explanation as to WHY you want dentistry. Your reasons are your own, this forum helps people GET INTO professional education (via advice or talking to others who had your same situation, etc). Wer not here to evaluate your interest, ignore any comment that makes it seem that way.

Second of all... it seems to me you don't have a very strong reason to quit your job now (aside from you being unhappy in it ~ but thats a different story). IMO, older perspective applicants need to start part-time college, I imagine you've been out of the college life for a while now, so its best to start light and see how you handle science courses. If a year later you see yourself doing very well, this gives you stronger ground to quit your job and become fulltime pre-dent student.

just my 0.02

Dental works- you are right. I can not believe how helpful your comments and the other ppl here have been! I posted my message last night and I have received quite a few responses which was just ENOUGH for me to make a decision! Thank you so much! =)

So heres what I have decided- I decided to call my office manager today and I told her I will be back PT. I will work as a DH 3 days. My husband has agreed to take 2 days off to watch the kids and my mom will take on the third day. I am also going to meet with my College counselor and I will take on 1 Science class for now.

I figure I can always "quit" my job, but its tough to find a job nowadays. I figure I take school slow this first semester and see how things go as hopefully new "doors" open for me by the following semester. I suppose a few months wont sent me behind that much.

I hope to be able to take on more classes by early next year and transfer to UNI so I can take a few upper division classes and complete my BS.

I hope to one day come into this forum and talk to you about Dental School! Wow that would be great!

Thank you so much! A sigh of relief'''aahhhhh..... finally lol.:laugh:
I cant begin to tell you how much I have been stressing about this situation past few months I must have aged ten years past few months!

By the way do you feel the Biology major is best for Dental School Application? Are you in Dental School? If yes, where and how is it?

Thanks again! :thumbup:

Well, there are two questions you need to answer:

Are you willing to go back to school on a long journey into dentistry?

Do you have the scholastic ability to go through this journey?

It sounds as though you are motivated and willing to go back. So you are good here.

It may not be so easy to return to school after years of being away from an academic environment. I am a nontraditional applicant myself and it was very difficult and frustrating to return to school as my memory is not what it used to be. Thus, while my classmates could learn and memorize something in 1 hr, it would take 2-3 hrs for me to do so. Thus I had to work 2-3 times harder than anyone else and slept a lot less hours. People tell me that I've aged rapidly over these past two years even though I have "young looking" genes in my DNA.

I would test the waters first by taking a science course or two during the night at a 4-year college (CC courses are not a good indicator) while keeping your day job.

Members don't see this ad :)

OR

I continue to be inspired here at SDN and with others that despite what might seem impossible they still follow their dream.
I too am an RDH who regrets not going to dental school. I am 39:eek: married with 2 young boys. I plan to apply to dental school summer of 2012.

I started out just retaking College Algebra to get my feet wet and because it had been 20 years since I took it. I then took Gen Chem 1 as a litmus test to see if I could handle it, it was not easy but I got my A.
This summer I'm taking Chem 2 and I enrolled at a 4 year school full time to get my degree and finish prerequisites. I had to reduce my hours at work (the money is hard to give up, I know). The great thing about hygiene is I can always work Saturdays and temp whenever I'm off and during semester breaks.
I am very nervous but in my mind I have no choice but to keep going. I can no longer live with regret!

I couldn't do it without my supportive husband and family.

I also repeat this mantra......"I'll be 45 no matter what, I can remain an RDH or be 45 and be a dentist"

It is better to have tried and failed then to not try at all.

Go for it!

Last edited:
Dental works- you are right. I can not believe how helpful your comments and the other ppl here have been! I posted my message last night and I have received quite a few responses which was just ENOUGH for me to make a decision! Thank you so much! =)

So heres what I have decided- I decided to call my office manager today and I told her I will be back PT. I will work as a DH 3 days. My husband has agreed to take 2 days off to watch the kids and my mom will take on the third day. I am also going to meet with my College counselor and I will take on 1 Science class for now.

I figure I can always "quit" my job, but its tough to find a job nowadays. I figure I take school slow this first semester and see how things go as hopefully new "doors" open for me by the following semester. I suppose a few months wont sent me behind that much.

I hope to be able to take on more classes by early next year and transfer to UNI so I can take a few upper division classes and complete my BS.

I hope to one day come into this forum and talk to you about Dental School! Wow that would be great!

Thank you so much! A sigh of relief'''aahhhhh..... finally lol.:laugh:
I cant begin to tell you how much I have been stressing about this situation past few months I must have aged ten years past few months!

By the way do you feel the Biology major is best for Dental School Application? Are you in Dental School? If yes, where and how is it?

Thanks again! :thumbup:

Definitely a wise decision! In regards to your prereqs, I'd advise to take only a few at CC. The sooner you are enrolled at a 4yr, the more competitive your application will be.

My advice is to plan your prerequisite coursework before you make any big changes with your job. How easy is it to get in to your local 4 year school? When are the classes offered (don't forget lab)? When will you be taking the DAT?

I worked during my first quarter of taking prereqs but after that only during breaks. It's not easy to schedule work around classes at a university because most of the lectures are during the day. So, unless you find an office that's open at night or is REALLY flexible, good luck keeping a hygiene gig while in school.

I say do it, though, you're obviously passionate and it's certainly possible. I'm 32, a mom, and applying this cycle.

biology is not necessarily the best major, you can major in anything, just make sure you take all the pre-reqs and a few recommended upper level bios and you will be fine ( i have a BA in economics). You should prob take 2 classes if you can, Chemistry 1 and bio 1. if you cant take 2, then go ahead for General Chemistry 1 because you need that for General Chemistry 2, and you need Both those general chemistry classes for Organic chem 1 and 2 also. It must be taken in that order ( for the most part).

major in pyschology. that's what I did and it worked out fine for me. I balance science classes with psych classes, so my psych classes are my "fun" ones. Just take the prereqs you need and major in ANYTHING you want. No stress if you come outta college with a "non-science" degree and apply to d-school

Go for it girl! I know exactly how you are feeling. I went to hygiene school for one sem and knew i wanted to me a dentist after i finished my first semester. My DH histology professor told me that if i felt so strongly about it i should go to dental school and not stay in hygiene. I switched and finished my degree in liberal arts, graduated early (it wudve takne me two more years had i stuck with hygiene) and the plan was to finish my pre-reqs and apply but I too had kids. One with Cystic fibrosis. I went back to school two years ago and applied 10 days ago:) It was tough, financially becuz i wasnt working at all and we depended entirely on a single income and i had to pay for school out of pocket without any loans. Which was tough but it worked out. You have hygiene to help you through financially even if you work part time and you can totally take your pre-reqs at the same time. Healthy children are a blessing and you should take advantage of that. I think i had it harder becuz my daughter's disease made me feel more guilty. How many times did i tell myself i should just "pass" becuz the chance has passed me but uknow what? Applying was the sweetest feeling. And you can do it much better than me. Sometimes i wish i had finished hygiene cuz then atleast i would have partime work with a decent living but i think everything happens for a reason. I was depressed during hygiene and knew i wanted dental school. This was 7 years ago. If you thi nk you can do it, then do it. And you wont know you can till you start. I startred with one class then two (becuz i only had my pre-reqs) and i took some at CC. All that doesnt matter though in my opinion. You should make good grades wherever you are and ill tell you right now, i did much better in my classes now becuz i actually wanted to learn. and being older helps. And having kids helps more. I think god just makes you smarter or something. Anyway you should talk to the counselor at your school and tell them straight up that you need real advice. That youa re investing alot and you have a family and you will be surprised how nice they are once they hear you out. I dont know if i will get in anywhere but i almost dont even need that anymore..just the challenge has humbled me tremendously. Dont worry about not being able to do it, you can and you will.If your husband is supportive then you have it made!

Also, bing12 mentioned that you need chem 1 and 2 befor eyou take organic 1 and 2. IT wasnt true for me though. I took chem 1 in the spring, bio 2 in the fall and organic 1 and gen chem 2 together and it was fine. I dont think i necessarily needed the knowledge from gen chem 2 for organic 1 and i did fine. It hink it just depends on what you think you can handle but for sure you cant take gen chem 2 before having taken gen chem 1. I dont think they would even let you enroll. I thin k you shoudl stick to a general series but organic is totally different from gen chem. And bio 2 is totally unrelated to bio 1 in my opinion. SO do whatever you can handle.

Amya and everyone else here WOW! Your posts are amazing and I am so happy that I found this Forum! I am so so appreciative to have read these posts and to have received such great responses! AMya my heart goes out to you and god bless you for working so hard! I totally wish you the best and I know you will get into a Dental School, its just a matter of time! Yes you are right that healthy children are TRULY a blessing. We are blessed and I feel that my 3 sons make me a stronger Individual, we tend to have more of a PURPOSE to work hard academically. I know personally, I am more driven and motivated knowing that I can make a difference in my childrens future. And I'm sure you feel the same. All the nest to you and thank you so much for your motivation! Keep me posted on your progress and Im so glad you went for Dental School its your dream, same as mine and it seems we will only find peace within ourselves if we give it our all and TRY. Otherwise we will only feel guilt later in life. Youve done well, its just a matter of time! =)

Yes so I will be meeting with a counselor tomorrow and I will start with one or two classes and hope to transfer to UNI next year and take upper division classes. yes you are right DH salary is great that you can manage working PT.

Our spouses need to be very supportive and it seems mine is! =) hopefully but I know when stress levels get high, FINALS, papers deadlines etc...thats when our spouses are put to the test, I know I went through alot during DH school, it was tough! So yes s strong relationship, marriage is very important and lots of patience!

When did you take your DATS? Can you take the DATS before you complete all your pre-reqs? Im thinking to major in Psych rather than Bio. Im not sure what do you think?

Thanks again! Good luck to everyone your all amazing =)

My advice is to plan your prerequisite coursework before you make any big changes with your job. How easy is it to get in to your local 4 year school? When are the classes offered (don't forget lab)? When will you be taking the DAT?

I worked during my first quarter of taking prereqs but after that only during breaks. It's not easy to schedule work around classes at a university because most of the lectures are during the day. So, unless you find an office that's open at night or is REALLY flexible, good luck keeping a hygiene gig while in school.

I say do it, though, you're obviously passionate and it's certainly possible. I'm 32, a mom, and applying this cycle.

Thank you! Yes my office is flexible but only in days- not the hours. So I will have to try and work it out with them as I take more classes. Im planning to start with 1 or 2 classes this upcoming semester.

Im thinking I will take DAT a semester before I complete my BA is that okay? oOr should I take it sooner? When did you take it?:confused:

major in pyschology. that's what I did and it worked out fine for me. I balance science classes with psych classes, so my psych classes are my "fun" ones. Just take the prereqs you need and major in ANYTHING you want. No stress if you come outta college with a "non-science" degree and apply to d-school

Thanks for your advice! Yes Im thinking of changing my major to PSych I will look into this when I meet with the counselor. Boy I hope to come in here one day and discuss DATs and Dental School apps with everyone!! I truly wish. Good luck to you!

I continue to be inspired here at SDN and with others that despite what might seem impossible they still follow their dream.
I too am an RDH who regrets not going to dental school. I am 39:eek: married with 2 young boys. I plan to apply to dental school summer of 2012.

I started out just retaking College Algebra to get my feet wet and because it had been 20 years since I took it. I then took Gen Chem 1 as a litmus test to see if I could handle it, it was not easy but I got my A.
This summer I'm taking Chem 2 and I enrolled at a 4 year school full time to get my degree and finish prerequisites. I had to reduce my hours at work (the money is hard to give up, I know). The great thing about hygiene is I can always work Saturdays and temp whenever I'm off and during semester breaks.
I am very nervous but in my mind I have no choice but to keep going. I can no longer live with regret!

I couldn't do it without my supportive husband and family.

I also repeat this mantra......"I'll be 45 no matter what, I can remain an RDH or be 45 and be a dentist"

It is better to have tried and failed then to not try at all.

Go for it!

Thank you for your motivation! Yes you are so right I too figure worst case you always have DH to fall back on! Good for you! ALl the best to you!! Hey at 45...youll still have 20+ years to work as a DDS thats a long time! Enough time to pay off any debt and secure a good future for your children, also the gratification of being a Doctor and hopefully having your own practice. Its a huge accomplishment, a sense of self gratification. Thats what I strive for. I also tell myself, I give myself 9 years MAX worst case scenario- Ill be 40. I dont plan on retiring until 65 or 70. I look forward to 30 years of Dentistry. =) why not!

All the best to you! Keep me posted!

I went back to school two years ago. I'm married and have two little girls- 3 y/o and 5 y/o. Being in school with children is stressful, but rewarding. My life is now chaos, but I'm happy and the family is doing fine. You don't have to make a decision today. I suggest you go back to work and stockpile some serious money. Try living off your husband's salary and saving your paycheck. You can live on less. No more restaurants, the kids don't need a new toy every time you go to the store, cut the cable bill, etc. Try it out for 6 months or a year and see if you can swing the change financially.

Personally I don't think I could have done well in school with a new baby. I was too sleep deprived to be able to concentrate and think clearly (my second woke up every 2-3 hours for months). Many students work while going to school full time, but its not feasible if you're a parent (unless your spouse will take on 95% of the parenting duties). I can't study while my kids are awake. I study while they are in daycare or early in the morning/late at night while they are sleeping.

Maybe you could eventually cut back on your hours and just take one class to see if its really what you want to do before you give up a good job in this economy.

Good luck!

YOUr POST TOTALLY HELPED ME MAKE THAT FINAL DECISION TO GO BACK TO WORK PT AND START SCHOOL PT!! THANK YOU!!! YOU ARE SO RIGHT. YOU PUT THINGD IN PERSPECTIVE, THANK YOU!

All the best to you and your family! You know exactly how I feel coming from a mom with young children yes its not easy! Ill prob be up early mornings or late nights just like yourself.

Hey
Well i took my DATs this past january and i did not have all my pre-reqs done either. I had gen chem 1 and 2 bio 1 and 2 (but i took bio 1 a very long time ago i think 7 years) and organic 1. I taught myself orgo 2 and it wasnt so bad cuz i had a great teacher for orgo 1. I took a semester off to do DAT's.I did not want to risk taking classes, volunteering, kids and then coming around to April and realizing i need more time. SO i just took that sem off which helped me collect money for the next sem as well, and took it that way. In hindsight though, it wouldve been better to take all my organics and microbio especially before DAT. I thi nk you just bring more to the table that way and dont have to teach yourself stuff. Some might think it is too early but you can start practicing DAT math and PAT now. You really just need practice in those, no one class can teach you that. I made 19/19/22 but i am satisfied enough not to take it again! PM me anytime if you need any advice, or are feeling overwhelmed or anything. Its really not as scary going back to school either. Kind of like a working vacation (atleast for me:)) And you are right about hygiene school being tough, i had one sem but man i remmeber how hard i studied. I had to really sweat for those grades:) I majored in a liberal arts becuz i was good at it and it helped. SO i guess any degree you like really. Undergrad should really be about what you like becuz that knowledge pays off in so many ways later, since you know it so well. Pick something you really enjoy and dont mind taking more classes on, you'll know its right when you are excited about the work assigned for it:)

Thank you for your motivation! Yes you are so right I too figure worst case you always have DH to fall back on! Good for you! ALl the best to you!! Hey at 45...youll still have 20+ years to work as a DDS thats a long time! Enough time to pay off any debt and secure a good future for your children, also the gratification of being a Doctor and hopefully having your own practice. Its a huge accomplishment, a sense of self gratification. Thats what I strive for. I also tell myself, I give myself 9 years MAX worst case scenario- Ill be 40. I dont plan on retiring until 65 or 70. I look forward to 30 years of Dentistry. =) why not!

All the best to you! Keep me posted!

THe thing is I don't imagine retiring 100% from dentistry. Even if I physically am done with the hands on clinical aspect I will want to keep active in the profession. If that means becoming a professor on the side or clinic instructor then that's all fine with me. I love dentistry too much to retire completely from it.
I work with 2 doctors that have been practicing 30 years now. Neither one of them are looking to retire yet. One of them wants to cut down a bit so he can vacation more but he still wants to work.

Yes that's true many dentists I know do not want to retire. :)

You say that you can do this, and still get by financially. If you want to follow your dream, if you want to be your own boss, then do it.

"Live like no one else so that later you may live like no one else."

Just scrape by, live on less than you do now, then when you are done you will be able to live like royalty.