help in choosing the right job while i build my EC for future application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ghgirl

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all. thank you for taking time to read my long post. I will appreciate every advice and input.

i am a graduate with Bsc in Biology ( 2014). Started a postbac prog this summer with hopes to apply in 2018. I need the classes to improve my GPA and advance level sciences. below are some background info;
married- no children
work experience- biochemist for 16 months
volunteer in the ER- about 80hrs and plan on doing more if time permits
current job- med tech at a fertility clinic
cGPA-3.3, sGPA- 3.1

please i need help in choosing between two jobs,

so my current job is a med tech at a fertility clinic. i do like my job because it is flexible, little to no supervision, gives me patient contact during IVF cycles and semen analysis and also fulfills my clinical experience requirement for medical application in the future (2018 for me). I also get to shadow the physician at the some time. During down times ( out of IVF cycle ) i get some free time to study for school, do my homework and stuffs. However I recently found out that what the manager talked to me about in terms of benefits and pay as a full time employee before I accepted the offer does not start until after one year. The contract is not as clear as I understood. I went to her with some questions about the contract but her responses were very cheeky and unprofessional. Also their benefit package is very bad considering i plan to start a family before i go to school. No pay for medical, leave, personal time off, family leave etc aside that what i am actually being paid now is lesser than what i was getting for my previous job.

my problem is i left a good paying contract job which has very good benefits if hired as a permanent worker (i was very close to being converted from contract to full time) but i accepted this current med tech job because it is medically related, however the disappointment of poor employee treatment is making me lose interest in the job.

if i leave this job for one as a lab tech or scientist with good pay, benefits (because i plan to have a child before school and will need paid medical leave and other goodies that comes with full time position to sustain myself and sch), will my total hours of about 700hrs of clinical experience and ~40- 50 hours of doctor shadowing be good enough to fulfill that requirement supposing i do not get the time to volunteer again before my application.

Any input will be appreciated. thanks to everyone.

Members don't see this ad.

gotta do what you gotta do to get that money honey

I would try to get more hours in, but I would hope you could despite ditching this BS for the better job

gotta do what you gotta do to get that money honey

I would try to get more hours in, but I would hope you could despite ditching this BS for the better job
thank very much for you advice @Crayola227 . In terms of more hours, how many would you say is enough.

Members don't see this ad :)
thank very much for you advice @Crayola227 . In terms of more hours, how many would you say is enough.

for that you want @Goro @gonnif @LizzyM off the top of my head, and this time I'll try to remember what they say is the number of hours so I don't have to tag them again for this

Reactions: 1 user
yes, more than enough. I do suggest that you get some experience with sick people though, and Primary Care providers (if you haven't seen the latter). And yes, this is still doable with a full time job.

if i leave this job for one as a lab tech or scientist with good pay, benefits (because i plan to have a child before school and will need paid medical leave and other goodies that comes with full time position to sustain myself and sch), will my total hours of about 700hrs of clinical experience and ~40- 50 hours of doctor shadowing be good enough to fulfill that requirement supposing i do not get the time to volunteer again before my application.

Any input will be appreciated. thanks to everyone.[/QUOTE]

yes, more than enough. I do suggest that you get some experience with sick people though, and Primary Care providers (if you haven't seen the latter). And yes, this is still doable with a full time job.

Any input will be appreciated. thanks to everyone.
[/QUOTE]
Thank you Goro, for your time and advice. I will work on finding a primary care physician to shadow. I tried before but no luck. Will additional volunteer hour that gives me contact with sick patients be good? Finding a doctor to shadow in my city is very difficult.

Frankly, I'd be much more worried about your GPA than your work experience.
Hi LizzyM, thanks for your generous input. I am currently enrolled in a postbac prog( started this summer) which allows me to take advance and graduate science classes since i already have my pre-reqs done. I am doing my best to improve my GPA.

Reactions: 1 user