Help in deciding the order of activities in preparation for re-application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premed23456

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Per the thread I created here earlier, I have decided to skip a cycle before re-applying, to put my best foot forward: https://forums.studentdoctor.net/th...d-advisor-and-gap-year.1243295/#post-18655580

SO, now I'm trying to decide the order of activities that I will do during the 2017-2018 year and then during my re-application year which is 2018-2019. I've determined that the things I need to work on most are my sGPA and cGPA (sGPA needs more work than cGPA) and low healthcare exposure hours. To address these issues, I plan on being certified as a CNA/MA/etc in order to do a year of patient-related work, and I also plan on taking a year to do an academic enhancement program of some sort. The question is, which order should I do these in?

If I do the healthcare activity first, then medical schools will know that I have a well-informed idea of why I am applying to medical school which is great, and I can also get a new LOR from a clinical setting. However, this leaves me to do the academic enhancement second, which might put me at a disadvantage because schools may hold my application until fall grades come in, making my app late (right?). On the other hand if I do the academic activity first, then I wouldn't run into this issue and I would be able to get an academic LOR. However, this poses the issue of medical schools being unable to see that I have a clear idea of why I'm entering medicine, because I'd just be completing my healthcare experience during the time I apply.

Do you all have any thoughts on which order I should do these activities in, given these pros and cons? Please let me know, and thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Are you doing the CNA because you need a job? If not, then ditch that idea and just volunteer at a local hospital. It's less about what you do and more about the exposure. Lots of programs are 4 hours/week commitments. Remember you're going to have to write about the experience.