help in study methods

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr.serotonin

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know asking something like this sounds stupid. but I am having a great difficulty sitting still and studying. every time I gets distracted from my study. sometimes I get lost even with in a paragraph and then after few moments I can't find the exact line where I was. this is so disgusting. I have a strong desire to study and I get everything that I study. the only limiting factor is giving effective time. plz help me to cope with this problem. I'll be greatfull to you guys. thanx

Members don't see this ad.

Try studying in chunks. Start trying to study 15 minutes without stopping, then 30 minutes a few days later, then 1 hour, etc. Take a 5 minute break between 15 minute study periods, then a 10 minute break between 30 minute study periods, then a 15 minute break every 1 hour of straight studying. Training your mind to stay focused is like training for a marathon; you cannot expect to study a whole day straight without working up to it.

Turn off/put away anything that distracts you, and make it inconvenient to regain access to it. I sometimes turn my cellphone off all the way bc if I wanted to get onto it I would have to sit and wait for it to boot back up.

When you need to take a long break, say for lunch/dinner, TAKE A LONG BREAK! I sometimes give myself 1 hour and 30 minutes for lunch or dinner. Also, try to give yourself 1 day off per week where you do NO STUDYING! I would usually take a day to do real-life stuff like laundry, cleaning, etc.

If you are reading a textbook with chapter objectives, try to write out the answers to the objectives as you read! It makes reading like a treasure hunt (I know lame, but you get it).

Vary your study methods. Try flashcards for a while, then textbook, then Qbank/textbook questions.

GET EXERCISE! Nothing is better than a nice run/bike/swim/sports game after a full day of studying. This will lower your stress and make you feel like you are accomplishing something outside of the library (getting in shape, being healthy, etc.)

That's all I got. Best of luck!

P.S.
Quotes from Bruce Lee in SDN forum signatures are also a source of inspiration.

thankyou very much for such a detailed reply. the points you have mentioned will definitely work. I am working on it. I hope to get over it soon. Thanx again

Reactions: 1 user
Honestly if this is how you are normally... I see no reason why you have to be super focused.

Usually when I study I make it through 1-2 full length movies in a given day... that's just what works for me.

If it isn't broke don't fix it :cat: