Help...Info. on Western/COMP needed!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
O

Osteo4sure

I'm currently scheduled for an interview at Western in the near future. According to this website, there seems to be some very conflicting views about the nature of the institution. Can someone (current student or one who has already interviewed there) please provide their HONEST opinion of the school. I'm especially interested in knowing about the local reputation of the school as well as the students perforamce on COMLEX. The Pros and Cons of attending the school would also be of great interest to me. Any info. would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Osteo4sure

First of all, congrats on your interview! I am sorry to hear that you have some concern over the conflicting views raised on this thread and this forum for that matter. However, I would like to shed some light on that subject just for a minute. Out of a class of about 180 people, there will always be some individuals who are not happy with their current situation. And those individuals are usually the ones that voice their opinion in regards to how unhappy they are, yet they refuse to do anything about making a change. I, on the other hand and perfectly happy with my decision to be at COMP, and although I do get frustrated at times with some of the policies, not once have I regretted my decision to attend here. I have many friends at other medical schools, both allopathic and osteopathic programs, and they have their gripes about their schools as much as everyone else does.

My point is, (if there is one!) go to the interview and find out for yourself what you think. Not every school is for everyone, but just go with your gut instinct and ask yourself if you picture yourself at that particular institution.

Make a list of the things you are looking for in a school and take that list with you on the interview. Take that list with you to your other interviews. Ask students questions while you are there. Talk to faculty. That is what I did and here I am in good ole Pomona! I love my class and I don't think I could've had it any other way at another school.

Basically, what it boils down to is this...I am happy here, I know I am going to get a great education when I graduate here, and most importantly, I will get into a great residency program. Our match results for last year were quite impressive!

I am sure you will make the right decision and if you have any more questions, we are all here to answer them!

By the way, when is your interview? I am one of the tour guides for the interviewees/applicants, so maybe I will see you around!

Hope this hepled,
Kira, MSII
COMP Legendary Class of 2004!

Again, congrats on the interview. I believe in most of Kira's comments; every medical school in the United States has problems. There are pro's and con's to any school. I think medical students lose the fact that we are fortunate to be in an US medical school.
As far as COMP, I am happy with my education. Things are rough at COMP right now. New curriculum, new faculty, new dean, new rotations, many changes, etc. As always, people will be happy and unhappy with change.
I'm doing rotations in Los Angeles, and I can tell you that there are weaknesses in COMP's curriculum. Pediatrics and Ob/GYN are poorly taught in the curriculum, and we are behind the 8 ball here on rotations. The COMLEX is a tough test and COMP students are around the mean compared to the other 20 DO schools. Some of my preceptors have told me that some of our students are more knowledgeable and have better clinical skills compared to local allopathic schools in LA.
The bottom line is this: you make what you put in. Study hard for classes, read journals and books on rotations, and be the best you can be.
Hard work will get you to good residencies. Good luck to you, and hope you like COMP.

Jon, MSIII

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone, I will be interviewing there on the 31st(Thursday). To the tour guides, I wwould love to talk with you if you would have the chance. I am scheduled with 3 other people for the interview so at least it will not be too crowded. Hope to see you all there in a few days!
Anthony

Jon- Thanks for providing a little insight from someone who is on rotations right now. I'm always curious to hear how our students feel after being thrust into rotations from the sanctuary of our classrooms.. heh. That being said, I completely agree with you.. for the most part, I feel like I get what I put into my med school career. 'Course, that could change in the future, but it seems to work so far.

Maxim- Congrats on your upcoming interview.. I'm sure you'll do just fine. I remember my interview at COMP (my first interview) was extremely laid back.. definitely a good starter. Thursday might be kind of empty depending on when you tour around because we have a day off to study before our big gross anatomy final (head and neck). There should be quite a few students in the gross lab that day so you could probably stop by and check it out. Hope you enjoy it here!

Kira and Jon:

Thankyou for being honest and sincere in your advice. I truly appreciate the wise words you both have shared with me, and will definantly take them to heart. With that said I will surely attend my interview at Western (on feb. 8) with an open mind, and prepared to judge for myself whether or not Western is the place for me. And again, thanks for the advice and keep up the good work!!