You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
I guess everyone is on reddit.
Started by TwoDogMed
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
MeningiomaAndCoffee
Full Member
We don't celebrate. We move on.
IF we need to vent we go to reddit
IF we need to vent we go to reddit
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
D
deleted610572
Are there experienced adcom members/residents/fellows/attendings there to offer good advice? SDN was awesome 10 years ago because it offered multi tiered experienced recommendations so good advice was given. My worry would be if it’s only other premeds/medstudents then it would be an echo chamber.We don't celebrate. We move on.
IF we need to vent we go to reddit
Reddit is 100% an echo chamber. It’s inherent to their upvote, downvote system.Are there experienced adcom members/residents/fellows/attendings there to offer good advice? SDN was awesome 10 years ago because it offered multi tiered experienced recommendations so good advice was given. My worry would be if it’s only other premeds/medstudents then it would be an echo chamber.
D
deleted610572
Well that’s not helpful to actually problem solve or be given advice on how to plan your strategy from people that have actually walked the walkReddit is 100% an echo chamber. It’s inherent to their upvote, downvote system.
Are there experienced adcom members/residents/fellows/attendings there to offer good advice? SDN was awesome 10 years ago because it offered multi tiered experienced recommendations so good advice was given. My worry would be if it’s only other premeds/medstudents then it would be an echo chamber
Yes, there are experienced residents/fellows/attendings/PDs on the med school sub and the residency sub. It's definitely an echo chamber though. There's a lot of good advice there, but there's also some garbage. Just gotta be able to sort through it, just like on here.
Sdn will tell a premed or med student the truth about a garbage app. Reddit will tell that same pre med with a 487 mcat or a board failure to apply to Harvard or ENT because “You never know.” Anything else gets downvoted. I’m exaggerating for effect, but not much.Well that’s not helpful to actually problem solve or be given advice on how to plan your strategy from people that have actually walked the walk
People want to be told what they want to hear. Those pre meds and med students flock to Reddit. The few experienced people who stay get tired of arguing with trainees who think they know better.
Lol this. I had a premed tell me that even though DO plastics applicants faced a lot of bias, neurosurgery was far more meritocratic and if a DO had the same scores and research they got the same opportunities.Sdn will tell a premed or med student the truth about a garbage app. Reddit will tell that same pre med with a 487 mcat or a board failure to apply to Harvard or ENT because “You never know.” Anything else gets downvoted. I’m exaggerating for effect, but not much.
People want to be told what they want to hear. Those pre meds and med students flock to Reddit. The few experienced people who stay get tired of arguing with trainees who think they know better.
I wonder how we get the professionally minded reddit posters to "discover" us if they haven't done so. If you have ideas, let us know. 🙂
I wonder how we get the professionally minded reddit posters to "discover" us if they haven't done so. If you have ideas, let us know. 🙂
Everyone hates sdn hardcore on there. Half of em think it's just for premeds based on what they remember from premed days.
MeningiomaAndCoffee
Full Member
One limited observation:I wonder how we get the professionally minded reddit posters to "discover" us if they haven't done so. If you have ideas, let us know. 🙂
I think people moved to reddit willingly. I've been lurking on sdn since 2014 or so when it was a much busier place.
There was definitely a draw that pulled me away from lurking around here.
I think it's the wild-west feeling of reddit. Weak moderation. People could say or do anything.
Whereas here, things were more professional - required to be professional and the threshold for getting in trouble was low
There was definitely a stronger sense of hierarchy here than out in the wild fields of reddit. And I think people liked that.
Reddit thread organization is better.
sdn still follows the old "forum"/message board style, which in all mainstream forms of media, has lost its popularity from between the 90's - 2010's or so. There used to be so many forums/message boards for gaming and more, but now reddit has sucked them all dry. It's a consolidation of many small platforms into one large platform.
There's also the possibility that reddit has the support of some very powerful backers that manipulate ads, search results, etc to favor the utilization of reddit.
D
deleted610572
Yeah, but that’s exactly it. You can’t leave a bunch of Premed and med students to govern themselves lol it is the fact that medicine is a hierarchy that stops a bunch of interns from killing their patients July 1. there is definitely problems with the hierarchy. Don’t get me wrong as we have all taken abuse from it, but there are still reasons for it.One limited observation:
I think people moved to reddit willingly. I've been lurking on sdn since 2014 or so when it was a much busier place.
There was definitely a draw that pulled me away from lurking around here.
I think it's the wild-west feeling of reddit. Weak moderation. People could say or do anything.
Whereas here, things were more professional - required to be professional and the threshold for getting in trouble was low
There was definitely a stronger sense of hierarchy here than out in the wild fields of reddit. And I think people liked that.
Reddit thread organization is better.
sdn still follows the old "forum"/message board style, which in all mainstream forms of media, has lost its popularity from between the 90's - 2010's or so. There used to be so many forums/message boards for gaming and more, but now reddit has sucked them all dry. It's a consolidation of many small platforms into one large platform.
There's also the possibility that reddit has the support of some very powerful backers that manipulate ads, search results, etc to favor the utilization of reddit.
D
deleted610572
With how quick of a drop off with the activity these days, they might not be wrong anymore lol. I don’t really get anything out of sdn anymore nowadays other than helping those when I can. My specialty forum is dead and a non-existent subspecialty forumEveryone hates sdn hardcore on there. Half of em think it's just for premeds based on what they remember from premed days.
We know social media and technology change over time, and I'm sure that for the right-minded people, we are still good. Some miss the early days where SDN was more like reddit is today, but everyone has their own podcast channel to rant about now.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
D
deleted610572
Exactly! I still enjoy my Facebook acct!We know social media and technology change over time, and I'm sure that for the right-minded people, we are still good. Some miss the early days where SDN was more like reddit is today, but everyone has their own podcast channel to rant about now.
I definitely try to provide advice, especially in the residency sub.Are there experienced adcom members/residents/fellows/attendings there to offer good advice? SDN was awesome 10 years ago because it offered multi tiered experienced recommendations so good advice was given. My worry would be if it’s only other premeds/medstudents then it would be an echo chamber.
I’ve largely drifted away from SDN despite being super active here in the past since the only real active forums here are premed and med school and I am now 10 years out from applying to med school and graduated 5 years ago AND im done with residency.
EEqualsRx2
Full Member
from my experience (as an inexperienced pre-med who is starting med school this summer, has been active on SDN for 9-10 months, reddit for longer but very occasional lurker on pre-med until 9-10 months ago) they both have their place. SDN absolutely provides something reddit does not: mainly verified professional advice, school specific threads, and great organization, all things i don't trust reddit for. reddit however does provide a better "social media" platform that is more entertainment to me than professional, but does sometimes have beneficial and/or unique experiences, stories, and advice for various things.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 2
- Views
- 1K