soccerscholar

2+ Year Member
Mar 25, 2017
Status
  1. Medical Student (Accepted)
Anyone have experience with double applying in categorical + combined programs like Med/Peds, EM/IM, Med/Derm, Med/Psych + Peds/Psych, etc have advice for me? Thank you!!

I'm in a bit of a dilemma. I applied into both categorical peds and combined med/peds programs at a residency program that I am VERY interested in and would rank at the top of my list. I am interviewing for both programs. Obviously the med peds ranking meeting will include the pediatrics program director who will obviously see that I double applied. The reasons were that I 1) definitely want to prioritize matching at that institution 2) I am interested in transitions of care for pediatric patients with chronic complex care needs and I feel that either residency can help me get experience to work in this niche (with peds providing more depth and elective time to learn how to care for children with complex care needs, and med peds providing more breadth to actually be able to continue caring for patients after they turn 18). I highlighted this interest in both of my personal statements.
  1. Did I just shoot myself in the foot or convey that I am wishy-washy by double applying at the same institution?
  2. Should I tell them before the interview that I am double applying for full disclosure and my reasons for doing so?

forncroj

Med-Peds Program Director
May 9, 2003
Upper Midwest
Status
  1. Attending Physician
I'm a Med-Peds PD. I can't speak for everyone, but unless we're worried that Med-Peds is a back up plan, we'd probably rank you just the same. I believe our peds program looks at it similarily.

Reactions: WheezyBaby
Jun 9, 2016
Status
  1. Attending Physician
I'm a Med-Peds PD. I can't speak for everyone, but unless we're worried that Med-Peds is a back up plan, we'd probably rank you just the same. I believe our peds program looks at it similarily.

I expect there's going to be PD variance on this, but FWIW my PD also did not look at applicants co-applying to categorical programs negatively

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads