HELP Interviewing for Categorical and Combined Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

soccerscholar

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
n

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm a Med-Peds PD. I can't speak for everyone, but unless we're worried that Med-Peds is a back up plan, we'd probably rank you just the same. I believe our peds program looks at it similarily.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm a Med-Peds PD. I can't speak for everyone, but unless we're worried that Med-Peds is a back up plan, we'd probably rank you just the same. I believe our peds program looks at it similarily.

I expect there's going to be PD variance on this, but FWIW my PD also did not look at applicants co-applying to categorical programs negatively

I'm EM/IM; there's so few programs it's expected you're applying to one or the other categorical programs, and most of the categorical programs interviewed us the same day as the combined interview. I got asked why EM/IM at every interview (including the EM categorical ones - they all wanted to know why I'd waste 2 extra years) and had an answer prepared. Sounds like you have a good answer/reason for applying both. I wouldn't specifically tell them - they're gonna see it anyway, and they're gonna ask you your reasons for applying one or both specialties, so just be ready with a genuine answer.