1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Help! Iowa State vs Kansas State

Discussion in 'Pre-Veterinary' started by FriskyPony, May 16, 2007.

1. FriskyPony

2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    I've been lucky enough to be accepted (off waitlists) at Iowa State and Kansas State.
    To give a bit of background, I'm out of state at both (from upstate NY), and I think cost will be approximately the same (but I don't know about my financial aid yet).
    I (right now) want to do equine vet med (ambulatory, I think). I'm also interested in behavior, and a bit interested in microbio/public-health/research.
    I've been to KSU, but not ISU (I've never even been to the state of Iowa).
    Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had any positives and negatives about these two schools!
    I'd also like to hear about caseloads by species, what the new facilites at ISU will have (especially as it relates to equine stuff), "specialties"/what the schools are "known" for, what people think about graduates, NAVLE pass rate, and anything else!
    Thanks in advance!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. zygote

zygote Class of 2011
    2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    At the botton of the front page of the KSU CVM website it says that the NAVLE pass rate is 95%, I don't know about Iowa state.

4. FriskyPony

2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
  5. chris03333

chris03333 Veterinarian
    7+ Year Member

6. FriskyPony

2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    Thanks, you are awesome!

7. deadvet

7+ Year Member

Post Doc
    Information about Iowa State University College of Veterinary Medicine

New facilities at ISU (completion Fall 2008) will include production animal and equine facilities and an outdoor covered exercise arena for horses. Webcam can be found at: http://www.fpm.iastate.edu/webcam/vetmed/
    New addition will have 2 equine bays, surgery and treatment areas and an isolation area. Entire addition will be adjacent to the new diagnostic imaging area which will include a CT scan, digital radiography, ultrasound and a top of the line MRI.

There are two ambulatory veterinarians and approximately 7 in-house equine clinicians, residents and interns. Entire VTH caseload for 2005-06 was approximately 14,500. In house equine cases were 4,238; ambulatory caseload was 921. Equine caseloads tend to be seasonal (which is the case with many CVMs). Students can be involved with equine cases as early as their VM-1 year by being involved with foal ICU. AAEP student organizations sponsor several wet labs and a trip to Rood and Riddle in KY. In the Class of 2007, seven graduates took jobs in equine.

Results from the NAVLE taken in Fall 2006:
    NAVLE scores: 93 students took the test, 85 passed, 91% pass rate, 1%
    above the national average.

VM-4 students have the option to participate in a behavior rotation at University of Minnesota CVM as part of their clinical rotation. ISU CVM also has a small animal clinician who is working towards board certification in behavior.

Public health-opportunities exist to pursue an MPH. The most popular program is the MPH that is earned through the agreement ISU CVM has with the University of Iowa (yes two different schools). Contact is Dr. Danelle Bickett-Weddle ([email protected]). The MPH program allows to apply dual listed courses to the degree and the tuition is VERY,VERY cheap for this program.

Students have opportunity to participate in research during the summers with the Summer Scholars program. See link below.
    http://www.vetmed.iastate.edu/research/summerscholars/

Tuition (no fees) in 2006-07:
    KSU: $34,720
    ISU: $34,972

Another FYI:
    Last year the emergency service at ISU saw over 1,500 emergencies. Also, the Intensive Care Unit provided over 20,000 hours of patient care. The ICU staff has grown and now includes 5 technicians, 9 technician assistants, four interns, one resident and one criticalist.

Hope this helps.:)

8. philomycus

philomycus The Tree Rat
    7+ Year Member

Veterinarian
    Wow deadvet! Sounds awesome....wish I was going to iowa :)

9. FriskyPony

2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    Wow, thanks deadvet--that was so helpful!!!!!

10. cubs11

2+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    friskypony, have you been able to make your decision yet? these are two schools i hope to apply to, so i'm interested to see which you decide to attend. this thread has produced a lot of interesting information from those who attend both schools. what a tough decision, but at least either way it seems that you win! :D good luck to you as you weigh the pros and cons of each and try to come to a conclusion!

11. deadvet

7+ Year Member

Post Doc
    Info on ISU CVM Caseloads (July 2006-April 2007)

Small animal medicine 1,664
    Cardiology 128
    Dermatology 427
    Oncology 498
    Neurology (including acupuncture) 684
    Soft tissue surgery 956
    Small animal orthopedics 1,422
    Ophthalmology 921
    Community Practice 2,391
    Rehabilitation 370
    Intensive care 1,188
    Large animal theriogenology 222