VMCVM vs. UPenn vs. Iowa State vs. Michigan State

Started by deleted1223541
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

D

deleted1223541

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello everyone,

I was fortunately accepted to Virginia-Maryland this cycle and was waitlisted at the following programs: UPenn, Iowa State, and Michigan State. I’m trying to decide if I should commit to VMCVM or wait to potentially hear back from one of these other schools. I am a New York resident, so tuition for all of these programs would be out-of-state. Also, I’m not sure if this matters, but I’m hoping to specialize in small animal surgery (although I’m sure there will be other specialties that catch my interest in vet school, so this may change 🙂). Thank you in advance!
 
The real question is do any of these schools even start calling waitlisters before the April 15th deadline. Some schools do, some schools don’t and will wait to make any waitlist calls until after April 15. If these are schools that don’t call before April 15, then you should just go ahead and accept VMCVM then start thinking on whether you’d want to “eat” that deposit and change your mind should you get off the waitlist. I’d read old threads or ask current students in the schools threads to see what usually happens. If these schools DO start calling before April 15’s decision deadline, then I’d just wait until much closer until April 15 and see what happens. I know it’s a very exciting time and people just want to have a plan, but there’s not really any benefit to committing early when your spot is guaranteed until April 15. How much is the VMCVM deposit/how much would you potentially be losing if you were called off the waitlist somewhere else and decided to change your mind?

All those schools are going to give you an adequate foundation in small animal and for a surgery residency. I’d prioritize cost.
 
Hello everyone,

I was fortunately accepted to Virginia-Maryland this cycle and was waitlisted at the following programs: UPenn, Iowa State, and Michigan State. I’m trying to decide if I should commit to VMCVM or wait to potentially hear back from one of these other schools. I am a New York resident, so tuition for all of these programs would be out-of-state. Also, I’m not sure if this matters, but I’m hoping to specialize in small animal surgery (although I’m sure there will be other specialties that catch my interest in vet school, so this may change 🙂). Thank you in advance!
As someone who went to Michigan State for undergrad, I am personally a little nervous about their program right now. They've been going through a lot of changes recently and have had NAVLE pass rates on the lower end. This being said, I know they are trying to remedy this by moving things around, so it may not even be an issue anymore. But it's something I would definitely look into a little bit more and chat to current students about.

I also completely agree with Jayna. Sometimes they say in the email they sent you if they only start taking people off the waitlist after April 15th. You can also look at last year's threads for each school and see when the waitlist started moving.

I know it is a huge decision deciding where to go, but just remember that no matter where you go, you will be able to become a Veterinarian and thats the most important thing!
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The real question is do any of these schools even start calling waitlisters before the April 15th deadline. Some schools do, some schools don’t and will wait to make any waitlist calls until after April 15. If these are schools that don’t call before April 15, then you should just go ahead and accept VMCVM then start thinking on whether you’d want to “eat” that deposit and change your mind should you get off the waitlist. I’d read old threads or ask current students in the schools threads to see what usually happens. If these schools DO start calling before April 15’s decision deadline, then I’d just wait until much closer until April 15 and see what happens. I know it’s a very exciting time and people just want to have a plan, but there’s not really any benefit to committing early when your spot is guaranteed until April 15. How much is the VMCVM deposit/how much would you potentially be losing if you were called off the waitlist somewhere else and decided to change your mind?

All those schools are going to give you an adequate foundation in small animal and for a surgery residency. I’d prioritize cost.
That all makes sense. I’m leaning towards VMCVM as it seems like one of the more cost-effective options, and I don’t believe there is a deposit for them? I may just wait until the end of March because by then I will know my waitlist rankings for Penn and Iowa, and I’ll know if it’s worth it to stay on them. Thanks!
 
As someone who went to Michigan State for undergrad, I am personally a little nervous about their program right now. They've been going through a lot of changes recently and have had NAVLE pass rates on the lower end. This being said, I know they are trying to remedy this by moving things around, so it may not even be an issue for the incoming class. But it's something I would definitely look into a little bit more and chat to current students about.

I also completely agree with Jayna. Sometimes they say in the email they sent you if they only start taking people off the waitlist after April 15th. You can also look at last year's threads for each school and see when the waitlist started moving.

I know it is a huge decision deciding where to go, but just remember that no matter where you go, you will be able to become a Veterinarian and thats the most important thing!
Yes, I’m also a bit hesitant about Michigan for that reason. And I will do a bit more research into when schools’ waitlists start moving. Thank you!
 
Yes, I’m also a bit hesitant about Michigan for that reason. And I will do a bit more research into when schools’ waitlists start moving. Thank you!
Hey so none of that is true anymore! Our NAVLE scores are back to normal, and the curriculum is doing its best with the changes. It has its growing pains but that’s the same with every curriculum. My opinion is Michigan State is just as good as a vet school as everyone else.
 
Hey so none of that is true anymore! Our NAVLE scores are back to normal, and the curriculum is doing its best with the changes. It has its growing pains but that’s the same with every curriculum. My opinion is Michigan State is just as good as a vet school as everyone else.
Oh that’s good to hear! I hadn’t seen the updated NAVLE scores. I know a couple of vets that have gone there and are great doctors; I just wasn’t sure how the program was adjusting to the changes. Thanks for letting me know!