Help: Iowa State vs Kansas State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FriskyPony

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know you guys have better things to do than answer questions from people who have only just been accepted to vet school, but I've been lucky enough to be accepted (off waitlists) at Iowa State and Kansas State, and now I need to decide between them.
To give a bit of background, I'm out of state at both (from upstate NY), and I think cost will be approximately the same (but I don't know about my financial aid yet).
I (right now) want to do equine vet med (ambulatory, I think). I'm also interested in behavior, and a bit interested in microbio/public-health/research.
I've been to KSU (but I didn't see the equine/large animal facilities), but not ISU (I've never even been to the state of Iowa).
Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had any positives and negatives about these two schools!
I'd also like to hear about caseloads by species, what the new facilites at ISU will have (especially as it relates to equine stuff), "specialties"/what the schools are "known" for, what people think about graduates, NAVLE pass rate, and anything else!
Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I know you guys have better things to do than answer questions from people who have only just been accepted to vet school, but I've been lucky enough to be accepted (off waitlists) at Iowa State and Kansas State, and now I need to decide between them.
To give a bit of background, I'm out of state at both (from upstate NY), and I think cost will be approximately the same (but I don't know about my financial aid yet).
I (right now) want to do equine vet med (ambulatory, I think). I'm also interested in behavior, and a bit interested in microbio/public-health/research.
I've been to KSU (but I didn't see the equine/large animal facilities), but not ISU (I've never even been to the state of Iowa).
Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had any positives and negatives about these two schools!
I'd also like to hear about caseloads by species, what the new facilites at ISU will have (especially as it relates to equine stuff), "specialties"/what the schools are "known" for, what people think about graduates, NAVLE pass rate, and anything else!
Thanks in advance!

I think you can find the case load info on the vet school web sites. I liked K State when I visited. Do not know anything about Iowa (accept they are good for learning pigs)...Maybe you should fly out to Iowa and see it.

Yeah, I do want to fly and see it, but I'm graduating on Sunday (5/20), so I can't go before that, so I just wanted to see others' perspectives since I have to decide soon!
Thanks for the info!