Housing for Out of State Externships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CatsareRad

Reaction score
Any tips on finding housing for off-campus rotations? Currently have no friends or family in the area I'm looking in, which would have been ideal. Wondering if anyone has had good luck with finding an affordable option on a particular forum or website. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I have no idea if it’s still active but there used to be a Facebook group called Savma Externship Housing Locator or something. But I did several out of state externships and I found housing mostly by word of mouth and asking people if they had any leads. Once I was at a party and asked the group if anyone knew anyone around Fort Collins that I could stay with. A friend of a friend (whom I had never met before that day) said she’d babysat for a couple during undergrad in California and she thought they’d just relocated to that area of Colorado. She asked them if they’d house me. I stayed in their basement for three weeks and even got to take my dog. I tired giving them money and they refused it…just told me to pay it forward someday. When I went to Florida, I stayed with the clinicians I was working with. When I went to Michigan I was going to stay with the people I was working with but they had a house emergency (basement I was supposed to stay in flooded) so I had to stay in a sketchy extended stay motel. Airbnb is expensive but also an option. I know of people who have stayed with friends they made here on SDN too.

Reactions: 1 user
I’ve used Externship Housing Locator group on Facebook. It’s very possible to not get any replies regarding leads on housing through the group but Ive seen plenty of posts that individuals do find somewhere to stay. So it’s possible

Reactions: 1 user