HELP! Is Kaplan BS too easy compared to the real MCAT BS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fneverforget

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have done a lot of kaplan BS tests and I have scored 11-13s on all of them. However on AAMC BS I only score 9-11. Is kaplan BS more similar to the real thing or is AAMC in terms of topics covered on the actual MCAT? I know everyone says AAMC is more similar to the actual MCAT, but some of the older AAMCs BS sections cover material that was never emphasized in my prep books. In kaplan I have seen more genetics topics, more evolutionary things (things that my intro bio class in college covered A LOT), but in the AAMC exams I have seen very little genetics and evolutionary topics... Which one is a better indicator of test day? I tend to miss a lot less questions in Kaplan BS than I do in AAMC BS. Half the time AAMC pulls things that I have never seen.......

Take the test in a week.

Members don't see this ad.

AAMC, because you have to be able to work with questions and topics you've never seen before. And because it's AAMC.

Its hard to say anything reassuring because the MCAT can literally pull anything out and you'll have to contend with it. You might see a whole passage on genetics, one on evolution, a lot of system physio, or no system physio and a lot of organic. In terms of question difficulty, AAMC is closer than Kaplan, but in terms of what they can bring out and test you on, its really just up in the air.

Kaplan's curve is slightly more generous from what I've heard. They're good practice tests but it only makes sense that their practice tests completely reflect their prep materials. AAMC pulls out questions which I can't find the answer to (a specific anatomy discrete) in 3 prep books (TPR, TBR, and EK). They have to put those questions in there though. If there was an official AAMC Biology book, they couldn't really expand their questions.