Help! Is this a good idea?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tripe23

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

I live in Texas and applied to medical schools last year. I got into Southwestern, which is a great school, but I really had my heart set on Baylor, where I was waitlisted and then rejected.

I had a 8 V, 14 P, 11 B on my MCAT and I think I did not get in because of my verbal score. I am set to go to SW right now but I am having serious doubts and really want to go to Baylor.

It is a long shot ... but I was toying with the idea of taking the MCAT in August and re-applying to Baylor. Then, for this year I would try to find some research at some university or program in the US.

Is this something I should seriously consider or am I just being dumb? Could I defer my enrollment into Southwestern one year and still apply to Baylor during that year? Could I submit my application this year with current MCAT scores and then add on the new ones when I get them? Would I have to re-write my PS? Please give me some advice!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I think there are some threads regarding the accepted but reapplying issue in the pre-allo forum. From what I have read, adcoms do not look favorably on someone who has been accepted and then reapplies (unless it is for some profound reason....NOT just because you want to go to a diff school). I would advise you to search there.....best of luck with your decision.

Cheers.

Tripe23 - don't take this as rude, but are you insane??? I had my heart set on a specific school, but since I got rejected there, I'm making the most of going to a different school - med school is ultimately what you make of it. Ask yourself why you have your heart set on Baylor - I wouldn't be sad about going to one of the best schools in TX! My two cents (since you asked...) ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
I say go to Southwestern. I agree that med school is definitely what you make of it. Southwestern is a great school...unless you know that you will HATE being there for all four years.

I think it's a bad idea.

If it was me , I would go with what I'm sure of...I want to be a MD and I have a school to go to. Also, maybe you've forgotten about the torture of the MCAT and application process. Congratulations on getting in! Just my thoughts. Good luck.

A bird in hand...

tripe23 said:
Hey,

I live in Texas and applied to medical schools last year. I got into Southwestern, which is a great school, but I really had my heart set on Baylor, where I was waitlisted and then rejected.

I had a 8 V, 14 P, 11 B on my MCAT and I think I did not get in because of my verbal score. I am set to go to SW right now but I am having serious doubts and really want to go to Baylor.

It is a long shot ... but I was toying with the idea of taking the MCAT in August and re-applying to Baylor. Then, for this year I would try to find some research at some university or program in the US.

Is this something I should seriously consider or am I just being dumb? Could I defer my enrollment into Southwestern one year and still apply to Baylor during that year? Could I submit my application this year with current MCAT scores and then add on the new ones when I get them? Would I have to re-write my PS? Please give me some advice!!!

Hm...have you thought about going to Southwestern and then seeing if you could possibly transfer to Baylor? I have heard of students transferring due to location. And who knows...after spending a year at southwestern, it may become your "dream" school.

tripe23 said:
Hey,

I think you'd be an idiot to turn down Southwestern. It's a great school and Baylor is extra competetive. I work at Baylor and their application process is very random. I have two friends that interviewed at Baylor and didn't get in. One had a 4.0 and a 33 MCAT and the other had a 3.7 and a 33 MCAT. They both had great ECs and they didn't get in at Baylor, they got into Southwestern. To turn down Southwestern just for the hopes of making into Baylor's random med school process wouldn't make any sense. At the end of the day, med school is med school. Go where you got in and make the best of it.

Can you really do that? I think I have heard about it but I believe you can only do it between your classroom and clinical years.

I think you guys are right though. It would be dumb to pass up southwestern like that but I just cant help thinking about what could have been :(

I'm just applying myself. Accidently came to this page and found your post.
The reality is there is no guarantee that reapplying will get you into Baylor.
Go for the sure thing. Sometimes its the things we don't plan or want that turn out to be the best things to have happened...

I think you'd be an idiot to turn down Southwestern.
well written appraisal of the OPs idea.

tripe23 said:
It would be dumb to pass up southwestern like that but I just cant help thinking about what could have been :(

I would say focus your energy on fixing that problem: the problem of comparing your pretty cool situation to what you imagine Baylor would be like. Because that's what's making you unhappy at a time you deserve to be doing an embarrassing happy dance in your living room. Throw yourself into Southwestern; start deciding where you'll live. See if the admissions office will put you in touch with current students to get advice on where to live, which books to buy and not to buy, etc. Imagine your white coat ceremony at Southwestern. Imagine yourself getting close to your new colleagues at Southwestern and wondering, a year from now, why you ever wanted to go anywhere else.

And feel free to imagine the other Baylor students as stuck-up prigs whom you wouldn't like, anyway. They'll never know you're thinking that and it may help you flip the switch on this feeling of regret. You deserve to be happy. You got into med school!

You will graduate from a fantastic med school with very little debt.
You will get to go to school in Dallas, where there is lots to do.
You will get another chance at Baylor when you apply for residency.