HELP! LOOK AT MY STATS please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zen-yatta5

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Want to apply to med school May 2019.

My stats as follows:
4 years in California CC, 3 years UC.

Took a lot of extra classes I did not need/care about and in turn, I got really bad grades. Did not know what I wanted to do and tbh only took classes to pass for fin-aid.

I did not get my **** together in time and after inputting all my grades into excel sheet that calculates AMCAS GPA, I have a 2.8 undergrad GPA and 2.9 BCPM GPA (since AMCAS takes into account every single class)

first 2 years in community college: ~1.8-2.3 range each semester
last 2 years: increased to cumulative GPA of 3.0

transfer: Graduating with 3.76 cumulative GPA in Bio/Chem
most of my prerequisite classes for med school completed in UC.
I only took a few non-science courses, so most of the GPA consists of bio, chem and physics classes.

MCAT 504 (doubted myself the entire time, Plan to retake and increase to 515)
Bio- 129
Every other section 125.

URM, 26 yo. CA resident

Work/volunteer: worked as ER scribe for past 2.5 years (plan to continue), tutored for upper div and lower div bio courses, 100 hours of volunteering in homeless shelter, 80-100 hours volunteering in student senate, 2 years of wet lab experience in chem lab (1 pub in the works & includes volunteer and paid work), 1 Summer research experience.

No shadowing (no plans on actually shadowing physician.?). Plan to volunteer in hospice soon.
LORs from faculty, doctors and volunteer coordinator.

Questions:

1. What are my chances for MD? DO? Will I be screened out?

2. Recommend SMP or Masters? something else?

3. What do I do about GPA? I took way to many classes in CC and concerned for no change in GPA

Members don't see this ad.

I had a *similar* start so I figured I can try to answer some of these questions.

1,2 , and 3. Just answering all in one larger answer. Based on your post, you have a good upward trend which seemingly means a lot. Your poor grades certainly won't be ignored but an upward trend is a great start. Without reaching a 3.0, you will most certainly be screened out by some schools (maybe most schools? - not absolutely sure on that one). To answer #1 with a black and white type answer, I assume your chances are essentially 0% for MD. Maybe some DO schools who *may not* screen you out for 3.0 may consider you, but again, many may screen so I'd assume your chances are more bad than good. This is where #2 comes in. I think a good option for you is a SMP. My answer is a little biased because I'm a supporter of SMPs (that's what likely got me into school) but given the fact that a PB will probably do you little good (not increase you above 3.0), I believe a SMP is the way to go. I would look through available programs and get in contact with their directors to inquire as to whether they would look past your cumulative AMCAS GPA and take you without the 3.0 - I'm sure many will do so. Also, pick a SMP with a school you could see yourself going to. SMPs hold the most weight at the granting institution, so don't do a SMP at X school if you wouldn't attend X school for your MD/DO. Lastly, you'll certainly want to do fairly (read - really) well when there. Shoot for as close to 4.0 as you can.

As far as MCAT, a higher score will certainly help you. 515 is a good goal but don't *limit* yourself to a 515. Shoot for as close to 528 as you can. Prepare well with a little content review and many practice exams/questions. I wish you the best of luck.

No comment on your ECs because I really just don't have anything to say. I just figured I may be able to advise with regard to academics.

As an aside, I'd try to speak with some MD/DO admissions since even if you 4.0 the SMP, your UG will still be sub-3.0. I'm not sure if at that time, you'd still be screened out. I'm really not sure how that works personally.

Good luck with whatever you decide! Hope I at least helped a little! I'm sure some others on SDN who are much more qualified than myself will also be able to advise you.

Reactions: 1 user
You need to shadow. You have a shot at some DO's and Caribbean, if you increase your MCAT to 510 ish you should definitely get into some DO's if you interview well. I would apply to the top caribbean schools as backup.

Members don't see this ad :)
You need to shadow. You have a shot at some DO's and Caribbean, if you increase your MCAT to 510 ish you should definitely get into some DO's if you interview well. I would apply to the top caribbean schools as backup.

Don't do this. Don't go Caribbean. I didn't even read the OP just don't do that.

Reactions: 7 users
Mhmm not sure if DOs screen for GPA, but I think MD is definitely out of the question with a 2.9 GPA, although the reinvention is impressive. MCAT is definitely good for DO. You MAY be able to get into DO SOMEWHERE with current stats. Also don't apply Caribbean until you fail 1 cycle

Do not know anything about SMP's or Master programs really, other people can give better advice on that, but your GPA is definitely the weakest aspect, so devoting a year to one of those programs would be the best bet.

Honestly your only shot is DO. Also if you want to do something like FM/community IM/Anesthesiology/Radiology you may want to just consider a Caribbean school and save what sounds like another 1-2 painful years as a pre-med (and a lost 400-600k earning potential). Hoping for a 11 point MCAT bump is wishful and your graduate GPA counts but your incredibly underwhelming undergrad GPA’s still a factor even for DO schools moving towards no longer taking grade replacement.

I know this is an unpopular opinion but here me out It’s true that it’s a bit of a risk. The thing though is that the SMP itself is a risk where if you don’t do well, you’ve paid 50K and weakened your application. Compare that to enrolling in a Caribbean school NOW and studying your ass off (just like you would at an SMP). Yes, the stakes are higher but you’re already 26 and if you’re as good as you think you are (515 mcat, etc.) why not give the Caribbean approach a try. You have to understand that at some point you have to stop listening to SDN’s conventional wisdom. That advice might make your CV look the best to academic physicians, but most likely not what’s in the best interest for your personal and financial goals. Also, keep in mind the whole DO >>>>>>>>>> Caribbean thing is overblown. DOs overall can be more competitive and generally match better, but it’s not as huge a difference as many like claim it is. Many DO students on SDN perpetuate that to validate their decision to go DO vs. Caribbean (something anyone can do). Again though, those people who went DO over Caribbean had DO in hand and didn’t have to spend a year at an SMP trying to attain it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
What URM group do you belong to?

According to AAMC DATA as is you have a 30% chance of getting at least one MD acceptance. This number is probably slightly higher considering that AAMC only has data for Hispanic applicants and not one just for the Mexican/Puerto Rican URM group. If you are African American then according to AAMC DATA you have a 49% chance of getting at least one MD acceptance (most likely at the historically black colleges - Howard, Meharry, and Morehouse).

It's hard to know how your GPA will look to AMCAS since the way you described it you essentially have 7 years of undergrad. My bet is you would have a chance at lower tier MD schools with your current app since you have such a large upward trend.

I'd suggest:

Drexel
Georgetown
George Washington
Drew/UCLA
Rosalind Franklin
Quinnipiac
NYMC
Tulane
Tufts
Geisinger
University of Miami
Wake Forest
Loyola Chicago
If you are African American add: Howard, Meharry, and Morehouse

You should also throw in around 8 DO schools as well

@Goro and @Faha could give you a better list.

If you retake the MCAT and score much higher come back and we can reevaluate.

Want to apply to med school May 2019.
My stats as follows:
4 years in California CC, 3 years UC.
Took a lot of extra classes I did not need/care about and in turn, I got really bad grades. Did not know what I wanted to do and tbh only took classes to pass for fin-aid.
I did not get my **** together in time and after inputting all my grades into excel sheet that calculates AMCAS GPA, I have a 2.8 undergrad GPA and 2.9 BCPM GPA (since AMCAS takes into account every single class)
first 2 years in community college: ~1.8-2.3 range each semester
last 2 years: increased to cumulative GPA of 3.0
transfer: Graduating with 3.76 cumulative GPA in Bio/Chem
most of my prerequisite classes for med school completed in UC.
I only took a few non-science courses, so most of the GPA consists of bio, chem and physics classes.

MCAT 504 (doubted myself the entire time, Plan to retake and increase to 515)
Bio- 129
Every other section 125.
URM, 26 yo. CA resident

Work/volunteer: worked as ER scribe for past 2.5 years (plan to continue), tutored for upper div and lower div bio courses, 100 hours of volunteering in homeless shelter, 80-100 hours volunteering in student senate, 2 years of wet lab experience in chem lab (1 pub in the works & includes volunteer and paid work), 1 Summer research experience.

No shadowing (no plans on actually shadowing physician.?). Plan to volunteer in hospice soon.
LORs from faculty, doctors and volunteer coordinator.

Questions:

1. What are my chances for MD? DO? Will I be screened out?

2. Recommend SMP or Masters? something else?

3. What do I do about GPA? I took way to many classes in CC and concerned for no change in GPA

At this point in time, it's not about raising the GPAs, but showing the you of now is not the you of then.
Read this:
Goro's advice for pre-meds who need reinvention

According to AAMC DATA as is you have a 30% chance of getting at least one MD acceptance. This number is probably slightly higher considering that AAMC only has data for Hispanic applicants and not one just for the Mexican/Puerto Rican URM group. If you are African American then according to AAMC DATA you have a 49% chance of getting at least one MD acceptance (most likely at the historically black colleges - Howard, Meharry, and Morehouse).

It's hard to know how your GPA will look to AMCAS since the way you described it you essentially have 7 years of undergrad. My bet is you would have a chance at lower tier MD schools with your current app since you have such a large upward trend.

I'd suggest:

Drexel
Georgetown
George Washington
Drew/UCLA
Rosalind Franklin
Quinnipiac
NYMC
Tulane
Tufts
Geisinger
University of Miami
Wake Forest
Loyola Chicago

I'm Mexican American so I don't know how much that percentage will change

I will keep you posted about Mcat when it comes closer and upload slightly different stats!
Thank you for the advice and list
I made my own list and those are some of the schools I put on there.

Honestly your only shot is DO. Also if you want to do something like FM/community IM/Anesthesiology/Radiology you may want to just consider a Caribbean school and save what sounds like another 1-2 painful years as a pre-med (and a lost 400-600k earning potential). Hoping for a 11 point MCAT bump is wishful and your graduate GPA counts but your incredibly underwhelming undergrad GPA’s still a factor even for DO schools moving towards no longer taking grade replacement.

I know this is an unpopular opinion but here me out It’s true that it’s a bit of a risk. The thing though is that the SMP itself is a risk where if you don’t do well, you’ve paid 50K and weakened your application. Compare that to enrolling in a Caribbean school NOW and studying your ass off (just like you would at an SMP). Yes, the stakes are higher but you’re already 26 and if you’re as good as you think you are (515 mcat, etc.) why not give the Caribbean approach a try. You have to understand that at some point you have to stop listening to SDN’s conventional wisdom. That advice might make your CV look the best to academic physicians, but most likely not what’s in the best interest for your personal and financial goals. Also, keep in mind the whole DO >>>>>>>>>> Caribbean thing is overblown. DOs overall can be more competitive and generally match better, but it’s not as huge a difference as many like claim it is. Many DO students on SDN perpetuate that to validate their decision to go DO vs. Caribbean (something anyone can do). Again though, those people who went DO over Caribbean had DO in hand and didn’t have to spend a year at an SMP trying to attain it.
Thanks for the advice!

DO NOT apply to any Caribbean schools unless you have gone through two application cycles applying to some MD and many DO schools. And even then maybe rethink your career plans. Caribbean isn’t a good choice.

I wouldn't go with Caribbean. Definitely retake your MCAT if you're confident. If it goes up drastically, you'll have a better chance in getting into low-end MD schools, and definitely DO's.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm Mexican American so I don't know how much that percentage will change

I will keep you posted about Mcat when it comes closer and upload slightly different stats!
Thank you for the advice and list
I made my own list and those are some of the schools I put on there.

As long as you have Mexican heritage you are a URM and it will help your chances.

You do not need to retake the MCAT. You will most likely get an acceptance if you apply this upcoming cycle (again apply to both MD and DO schools) Add the new California MD that opened up recently to your list.

When looking at @Goro 's guide since you are URM things are shifted a bit:

510+ : MD schools (can potentially consider a few Top 20 depending on the rest of your app)

505+: your state MD school and any DO school (can consider a few lower tier MD schools)

500+: any DO School

Do not even consider Caribbean Medical School. They are designed to have most of their students fail out and even after that have a 54% match rate after taking 200k in loans.

Reactions: 3 users
DO NOT apply to any Caribbean schools unless you have gone through two application cycles applying to some MD and many DO schools. And even then maybe rethink your career plans. Caribbean isn’t a good choice.

OP is already 26 and if he takes your advice and gets into a DO school at 28 that’s atleast 400K of lost salary. Even if he does the best he can at a DO school, he’s done at 32 and it’s not like Ortho/ENT/Rad-Onc/Ophtho are going to be within reach with upcoming merger ..If OP goes Caribbean now he’s done at 30 and can do FM/IM hospitalist which he would probably do anyways coming out of a DO school and he’s an attending with his 30s still ahead of him. Yes, it may not look as good at your friends going to US schools, but your post-residency self will thank you...so again, I highly recommend you draw the line at what point you’d consider conventional SDN advice useful. I just read a thread about a 86% match rate at non-Big 4 Caribbean school. Low key, that’s the pre-SOAP match rate for some US MD places. OP should get clarification on the CATEGORICAL match rate for his Caribbean program and if it’s somewhere in the 80s I think the Caribbean is a no-brainer for OP.

DO averages are now like 28-30 MCAT/3.5 GPA which isn’t great but OP is like 10 points below that...idk who you guys are trying to kid...URM or not.

Last edited:
And OP has a 2.8cGPA and a 2.9 sGPA! Do you really think OP will be successful at an off shore school? Or will he be one of over 50% who fail out or aren’t allowed to take Step 1? Either way, are we being fair encouraging him to apply to any med school? Not everyone who wants to be a doctor gets to be one. OP is going to have lots of debt and possibly no way to pay it back. Oh, and many med students are in their late twenties. Being 28 when he matriculates isn’t really a big deal. I could go on about no shadowing and no plans to shadow and maybe just starting clinical experiences and no mention of non clinical experiences. But whatever...

It really feels like you guys are missing the point. For the last 3 years OP has maintained a 3.76 (which include many of the premed requirements). Med schools (both MD and DO) are not as heartless as most people make them out to be.

URM + 3.76 last 3 years (where most were upper level science courses) + Strong upward trend + 504 MCAT + 2.5 years as a ER Scribe + 100 hr of volunteering at homeless shelter + over 2 years of wet lab experience which includes 1 publication = pretty good f***ing chance at least at DO schools and some lower tier MD schools.

OP is more than qualified to be a physician and as such has a chance to get into both DO and MD schools.

Reactions: 2 users

I'd suggest:

Drexel
Georgetown
George Washington
Drew/UCLA
Rosalind Franklin
Quinnipiac
NYMC
Tulane
Tufts
Geisinger
University of Miami
Wake Forest
Loyola Chicago

Thanks for the advice Dr. Meliodas. I am holding onto this list

I will try MD DO before Caribbean schools thanks!

OP is already 26 and if he takes your advice and gets into a DO school at 28 that’s atleast 400K of lost salary. Even if he does the best he can at a DO school, he’s done at 32 and it’s not like Ortho/ENT/Rad-Onc/Ophtho are going to be within reach with upcoming merger ..If OP goes Caribbean now he’s done at 30 and can do FM/IM hospitalist which he would probably do anyways coming out of a DO school and he’s an attending with his 30s still ahead of him. Yes, it may not look as good at your friends going to US schools, but your post-residency self will thank you...so again, I highly recommend you draw the line at what point you’d consider conventional SDN advice useful. I just read a thread about a 86% match rate at non-Big 4 Caribbean school. Low key, that’s the pre-SOAP match rate for some US MD places. OP should get clarification on the CATEGORICAL match rate for his Caribbean program and if it’s somewhere in the 80s I think the Caribbean is a no-brainer for OP.

DO averages are now like 28-30 MCAT/3.5 GPA which isn’t great but OP like 10 points below that...idk who you guys are trying to kid...URM or not.

I dont feel like I am too old for medical school even if I start at 28? if a person has a goal, they should try to accomplish it no matter what age. Thanks for the advice though! im considering everyones thoughts.

It really feels like you guys are missing the point. For the last 3 years OP has maintained a 3.76 (which include many of the premed requirements). Med schools (both MD and DO) are not as heartless as most people make them out to be.

URM + 3.76 last 3 years (where most were upper level science courses) + Strong upward trend + 504 MCAT + 2.5 years as a ER Scribe + 100 hr of volunteering at homeless shelter + over 2 years of wet lab experience which includes 1 publication = pretty good f***ing chance at least at DO schools and some lower tier MD schools.

OP is more than qualified to be a physician and as such has a chance to get into both DO and MD schools.
Thanks again for this. I hope admissions will see past my screw ups. I am working hard to make up for my mistakes!

And OP has a 2.8cGPA and a 2.9 sGPA! Do you really think OP will be successful at an off shore school? Or will he be one of over 50% who fail out or aren’t allowed to take Step 1? Either way, are we being fair encouraging him to apply to any med school? Not everyone who wants to be a doctor gets to be one. OP is going to have lots of debt and possibly no way to pay it back. Oh, and many med students are in their late twenties. Being 28 when he matriculates isn’t really a big deal. I could go on about no shadowing and no plans to shadow and maybe just starting clinical experiences and no mention of non clinical experiences. But whatever...

candbgirl I agree with you not everyone becomes a doctor, but its something I know id work hard for here on out.

Do you feel gpa dictates the type of doctor/ successful person one will become? its all subjective but I agree that there needs to be standards people must reach in order to get into medical school

and everyone is medical school has debt right? are you saying if I got to Caribbean I won't be able to pay it back? dont understand

I agree and disagree with portions of what you’re each saying. OP’s ability is NOW at the 3.7 level and those grad courses will absolutely help with medical school so I disagree with CandBgirl there. In regards to Meliodas, the 2.9 GPA is still around and is what will be looked at.

Last edited:
I dont feel like I am too old for medical school even if I start at 28? if a person has a goal, they should try to accomplish it no matter what age. Thanks for the advice though! im considering everyones thoughts.

Alright, first of all, sorry. We all have different priorities and I can genuinely see how my posts implied that. I’m trying to put my goals into yours and at the end of the day that’s poor form in terms of giving advice. That being said, the point still stands even if you were 21. Waste 2 years pursuing DO vs. going Caribbean with the ceilings being approximately equal in terms of access to competitive fields (which is the real value in choosing US MD over DO) seems like a waste of time, but that’s my opinion. Like I said above, you have a new 3.7 GPA and have been exposed to presumably medical material given you a head start. That’s why I think Caribbean would be a smart route.

Last edited:
I agree and disagree with portions of what you’re each saying. OP’s ability is NOW at the 3.7 level and those grad courses will absolutely help with medical school so I disagree with CandBgirl there. In regards to Meliodas, the 2.9 GPA is still around and is what will be looked at.

OP's 3.7 is not from Grad courses they are from undergrad courses. As for OP's 2.9 I agree completely it is still around but the thing is that schools do not JUST look at the number especially for URMs and this is particularly true for many of the schools I suggested on my list including: Drexel, George Washington, Drew/UCLA, and Rosalind Franklin ( based on my experience with these schools, and talking with faculty and current medical students there). This is why I think OP has a good chance of getting at least one acceptance this coming cycle.

The concept of Reinvention is very much a thing that medical schools look at even more so for URM.

Alright, first of all, sorry. We all have different priorities and I can genuinely see how my posts implied that. I’m trying to put my goals into yours and at the end of the day that’s poor form in terms of giving advice. That being said, the point still stands even if you were 21. Waste 2 years pursuing DO vs. going Caribbean with the ceilings being approximately equal in terms of access to competitive fields (which is the real value in choosing US MD over DO) seems like a waste of time, but that’s my opinion. Like I said above, you have a new 3.7 GPA and have been exposed to presumably medical material given you a head start. That’s why I think Caribbean would be a smart route.
The Carib and DO do not provide approximately equal opportunities, stop spreading hor****

OP's 3.7 is not from Grad courses they are from undergrad courses. As for OP's 2.9 I agree completely it is still around but the thing is that schools do not JUST look at the number especially for URMs and this is particularly true for many of the schools I suggested on my list including: Drexel, George Washington, Drew/UCLA, and Rosalind Franklin ( based on my experience with these schools, and talking with faculty and current medical students there). This is why I think OP has a good chance of getting at least one acceptance this coming cycle.

The concept of Reinvention is very much a thing that medical schools look at even more so for URM.

Thanks Dr. Meliodas I am staying hopeful thanks to your posts. I will really consider the school list! also I will be applying next year to continue to work on EC. Should I be taking community college classes such as micro and physiology this upcoming year then? I read the Goro post btw and it recommends that.

Last edited:
Ive read that it is harder to get residency spots from Caribbean schools , let alone clerkships right?
Its probably about a 50/50 proposition from M1 to match from what I have read. To me, thats a ridiculous risk to stake years of hard work and hundreds of thousands on

Its probably about a 50/50 proposition from M1 to match from what I have read. To me, thats a ridiculous risk to stake years of hard work and hundreds of thousands on
yeah it is definitely risky thanks for your opinion

The Carib and DO do not provide approximately equal opportunities, stop spreading hor****

DOs probably match better overall, but stop puppetting SDN mantras blindly. Caribbean students and DOs both get residencies in similar fields. Every year you do see a few DOs break a mold and match somewhere impressive at a frequency than a Caribbean student. If you put this into context of OP’s situation, the option is to start NOW vs wait 1 if not 2 years to end up at a D.O. school where the vast majority match primary care (Peds/IM/FM/EM). Some will match Gen Surg and surgical subspecialties but it’s less common. Besides EM, what field would make taking an additional year worth it for OP? Now if OP had a DO spot vs. a Caribbean spot, that’s a different situation and obviously OP should take the DO spot and run.

Say it’s a a 50/50 risk, you have to realize a major factor that you can attribute that to is the quality of candidates they select on AVERAGE...OP has graduate level course work under his belt with a decent GPA with clinical experience and research which will boost his competence and future application respectively. He’s not the typical person applying to the Caribbean. I’m just saying maybe there’s a silver lining in doing so though.

DOs probably match better overall, but stop puppetting SDN mantras blindly. Caribbean students and DOs both get residencies in similar fields. Every year you do see a few DOs break a mold and match somewhere impressive at a frequency than a Caribbean student. If you put this into context of OP’s situation, the option is to start NOW vs wait 1 if not 2 years to end up at a D.O. school where the vast majority match primary care (Peds/IM/FM/EM). Some will match Gen Surg and surgical subspecialties but it’s less common. Besides EM, what field would make taking an additional year worth it for OP? Now if OP had a DO spot vs. a Caribbean spot, that’s a different situation and obviously OP should take the DO spot and run.

primary care is something I am looking to get into. but I would like as many options as possible and do not want to be limited... I am considering your advice though so thank you

Say it’s a a 50/50 risk, you have to realize a major factor that you can attribute that to is the quality of candidates they select on AVERAGE...OP has graduate level course work under his belt with a decent GPA with clinical experience and research which will boost his competence and future application respectively. He’s not the typical person applying to the Caribbean. I’m just saying maybe there’s a silver lining in doing so though.

For the second time. OP has no graduate level course work. His course work is all undergrad.

Anywhooo...don’t think I’m helping here. OP bump this thread and let us know where you end up. I guess apply everywhere the first time and then on reapplication apply broader and take Caribbean the second time like others are saying.

Anywhooo...don’t think I’m helping here. OP bump this thread and let us know where you end up. I guess apply everywhere the first time and then on reapplication apply broader and take Caribbean the second time like others are saying.

sounds good. But how do I bump a post? sorry never bumped in the past

OP

Applying to Caribbean schools should never be an option. You are a good candidate for some SMPs. Apply to some of the well known ones. Do your best to get into a medical school (DO or MD) in the US.

OP

Applying to Caribbean schools should never be an option. You are a good candidate for some SMPs. Apply to some of the well known ones. Do your best to get into a medical school (DO or MD) in the US.

Any recommendations on well known SMPs?

Exit this thread, scroll down and go to the Post-baccalaureate forum. Look at the sticky threads at the top and click on GPA enhancement programs.

Whoa. Some of the advice here is out of this world and simply terrible. Wow, I really think this should be the one forum that requires some sort of qualification to post advice. OP, I’m so sorry that you have have to wade through the terrible advice you’ve been given to get to the good info. Dr. Meliodas is on point 1000% as well as every statement that says to avoid the off shore schools (I've really only seen that recommended by experts after 3 failed app cycles). Also, your MCAT isn’t the issue AT ALL. It's perfectly fine for MD, per your racial group. Your gpa is low, but reinvention is key. If you can boost it to 3.0 that would be awesome, but if not refer back to what Dr. M said.

Reactions: 4 users
@Dr. Meliodas is spot-on here as is @OchemOficionado

And 28 is not old.

Caribbean is a completely bonkers idea.

And I don't think an SMP is needed at this point but OP that depends if you'd rather try a cycle not get in and then do an SMP or do a potentially unnecessary SMP first. A lot of SMPs are very expensive and not all have loans/aid available so be careful OP.

Whoa. Some of the advice here is out of this world and simply terrible. Wow, I really think this should be the one forum that requires some sort of qualification to post advice. OP, I’m so sorry that you have have to wade through the terrible advice you’ve been given to get to the good info. Dr. Meliodas is on point 1000% as well as every statement that says to avoid the off shore schools (I've really only seen that recommended by experts after 3 failed app cycles). Also, your MCAT isn’t the issue AT ALL. It's perfectly fine for MD, per your racial group. Your gpa is low, but reinvention is key. If you can boost it to 3.0 that would be awesome, but if not refer back to what Dr. M said.

I think reinvention means to completely change my stats in a way that is 180 from where I was. I need to prove that im up to par, Which I feel can be shown by a better MCAT score . Although I do come from a disadvantaged upbringing, I want to do well in at least one aspect of my app. Thanks for the advice. I just can't believe that the mistakes I made in the past would bring up so many issues with applying. I hope admissions will see past the horrible first few years. Also I mean its a UC- university compared to a CC. Its crazy to think they are weighed the same but ill keep trying.. Thanks again!

Last edited:
@Dr. Meliodas is spot-on here as is @OchemOficionado

And 28 is not old.

Caribbean is a completely bonkers idea.

And I don't think an SMP is needed at this point but OP that depends if you'd rather try a cycle not get in and then do an SMP or do a potentially unnecessary SMP first. A lot of SMPs are very expensive and not all have loans/aid available so be careful OP.
Thanks precisiongraphic I am trying to figure that out on my gap year now. I was hoping to apply next June. Would you recommend taking more classes at CC this upcoming school year?

I think reinvention means to completely change my stats in a way that is 180 from where I was. I need to prove that im up to par, Which I feel can be shown by a better MCAT score . Although I do come from a disadvantaged upbringing, I want to do well in at least one aspect of my app. Thanks for the advice. I just can't believe that the mistakes I made in the past would bring up so many issues with applying. I hope admissions will see past the horrible first few years. Also I mean its a UC- university compared to a CC. Its crazy to think they are weighed the same but ill keep trying.. Thanks again!

URM and applying disadvantaged are two different things. To see if you should self-designate yourself as disadvantage when applying look at the 2018 AMCAS Applicant Guide and search for the word dissadvantaged:
https://aamc-orange.global.ssl.fast...da78e/2018_amcas_applicant_guide_web-tags.pdf

Being disadvantaged will also help your app. The most recent AAMC information categorized an applicants social economic status as "Medium Importance".

Again as is you have a decent chance of getting an acceptance at DO an lower tier MD schools. If you want to delay applying until you feel more confident in yourself that is perfectly fine. If you plan on taking the MCAT again you need to make sure you do several points higher than your current score. Retaking the MCAT and scoring lower or the same will negatively affect your chances. Also since you have already maintained a 3.76 at a UC, personally I don't think taking additional community courses would help much. An SMP is probably overkill, and if you don't do well (like >3.6 ) it will be very detrimental to your app (from what I have heard). SMPs are also very expensive. If you want to continue strengthening your app the weaker points would be your MCAT and non-clinical volunteering. Keep volunteering at homeless shelters, or start tutoring kids from disadvantaged backgrounds. Or you can volunteer with refugees. What ever volunteering you do it would best be spent with those less fortunate.

And in reference to one of your comments earlier. Yes medical school admissions committees give more weight to coursework at UC compared to that completed at a CC.

One more important note - when you apply make sure you apply early submit your primary day 1 and start working on pre-writting your secondaries now (if you are applying this cycle). You can find the secondary prompts in the school specific threads here on SDN. Applying early is extremely important.

I wish you the best of luck in whatever you decide to do. Hope you come back to this thread and share some good news in a years time.

Thanks precisiongraphic I am trying to figure that out on my gap year now. I was hoping to apply next June. Would you recommend taking more classes at CC this upcoming school year?
No, I think you're good to apply as is.

Status
Not open for further replies.