HELP- Looking for Vet Experience in Philly

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zensurg

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, my wife and I are living in Philadelphia for a year while I do my medical internship before we move to Michigan. She hopes to apply to vet school in the next year or so, and is hoping to gain some experience here in Philadelphia. We've been looking for jobs, research and volunteer opportunities, but feel limited since we don't know the area (Texans) and she doesn't have tech certification.

Can anyone offer any ideas with experience that they've had? Good vets to contact in the area?

Thanks for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all, my wife and I are living in Philadelphia for a year while I do my medical internship before we move to Michigan. She hopes to apply to vet school in the next year or so, and is hoping to gain some experience here in Philadelphia. We've been looking for jobs, research and volunteer opportunities, but feel limited since we don't know the area (Texans) and she doesn't have tech certification.

Can anyone offer any ideas with experience that they've had? Good vets to contact in the area?

Thanks for your help.

i can tell you to avoid Narberth Animal Hospital with all your heart and soul. as i lived in Narberth for two years, i'm more familiar with the area just west of the city, but there were plenty of places that would take non-licensed techs, as far as i was aware.

Metropolitan www.metro-vet.com
Haverford www.haverfordah.com
Ardmore www.ardmoreah.com
Cats only, also in Haverford www.gentlecatdr.com

i'm not sure how difficult it is to get a job at VHUP, but she could obviously give that a try, or the large animal facility is a drive away, but would be an invaluable experience. they also take volunteer foal sitters from january to june, and a midnight shift or two a week is doable while maintaining another job. hope that helps some.

The Emergency department at VHUP (small animal) takes volunteers throughout the year for 8 hour per week committments. As for New Bolton (Penn's large animal hospital) they take on volunteers regularly as nursing assistants. From time to time, they may have openings for paid nursing assistants. It's about an hour during normal traffic conditions from downtown Philly.

I haven't been there in years, so I don't know what the current climate is like, but the Delaware Humane Society in Wilmington (just south of Philly) was an invaluable learning experience for me. They have a small hospital with a small staff and low funding so I got a whole lot of responsibility very quickly. They wouldn't turn away a willing volunteer, and they used to hire un-licensed techs if she's got some experience. (They've changed directorship since I've been there and seem to have expanded a bit. So they may be slightly less desperate for help and therefore more restrictive on their volunteers and tech qualifications.)

Getting experience at Penn would probably be great for her application, so definitely call and check out what she'd be able to do there. For that matter... She should call the admissions office at Penn, or maybe the undergrad pre-vet advising office on the main campus, and ask them for the names of clinics and shelters in the area that have been particularly open to pre-vets looking to gain experience in the past.