Help....low Ug Gpa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

neuroscienceguy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I need some advice. I have my heart set on one of the D.O. programs. I have always admired there holistic approach to medicine. The problem is that my UG gpa is 2.8 cum and 2.75 science. I have, however entered a masters program in BIO at Western Michigan University and I am currently at a 3.78. I have also worked as an ER tech for a year, volunteered at big brothers and big sister for 2 years, I have been doing research and will hopefully have publishable work this summer, I TA anatomy, and I am a member of the APS and have published abstracts at a few conferences. I am getting ready to take the MCAT this summer and hope to score well. As a MI resident I would really like to go to MSUCOM but I really just want to be a doctor. DO I STAND A CHANCE?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,
I need some advice. I have my heart set on one of the D.O. programs. I have always admired there holistic approach to medicine. The problem is that my UG gpa is 2.8 cum and 2.75 science. I have, however entered a masters program in BIO at Western Michigan University and I am currently at a 3.78. I have also worked as an ER tech for a year, volunteered at big brothers and big sister for 2 years, I have been doing research and will hopefully have publishable work this summer, I TA anatomy, and I am a member of the APS and have published abstracts at a few conferences. I am getting ready to take the MCAT this summer and hope to score well. As a MI resident I would really like to go to MSUCOM but I really just want to be a doctor. DO I STAND A CHANCE?

You deffinetly stand a chance, and a good one at that. Dont let anyone tell you otherwise. Just prepair for the mcats and do your best. Even though u had a bit of a lower gpa you show an up word trend in your grad degree and passion for what you do in all the research and er work. Apply to a few DO schools you will get in somewhere

**Disclaimer: I have no real clue how MSU works**

I hate to be the realist here, but you are going to have a few problems. First, your 2.8 GPA is a 2.8 w/ a ton of credits. 3.78 Master has probably 16-20 credits?? Not nearly enough to offset a GPA that far below the 3.0 cutoff for many schools. This is not to mention that some masters programs (I know nothing of yours) are not known for being difficult academically.

All that being said...I think you might have a shot at MSUCOM just b/c I have heard some crazy stories about people being accepted w/out interviews. Bottomline is that you are going to have an uphill stuggle all the way. Apply broadly & you may have a chance.

You could also reconsider re-taking courses that dropped you GPA significantly b/c AACOMAS REPLACES grades & that may help you over that GPA hurdle.

Members don't see this ad :)
you'll be okay.
i know people who got accepted into D.O. schools this year with undergrad gpa's between 2.8-3.0, and no masters work.
With a masters degree you should be okay. On the other hand, people that get into med school with lower gpa's usually have some super stellar extracurrics and other things. i say retake some courses you messed up in undergrad - you should be able to do some of them online from home, through a community college or other university. the courses you repeat don't even have to be from your undergrad, as long as it's the same class. retake a couple C's and yank your undergrad to close to a 3, and use your grad work to push it over the 3.0 mark, and with a mid 20's or higher MCAT you should stand a chance at most D.O. schools (*given the rest of your application, such as letters, extracurrics, essay, etc, is stellar )
good luck.

you'll be okay.
i know people who got accepted into D.O. schools this year with undergrad gpa's between 2.8-3.0, and no masters work.

He makes a good point here - I think you stand a chance. From my view of this whole med school application process is that it's a GIANT gamble. You throw your dice out on the table, and hope that it gets you to the right spot - you could be the PERFECT (High GPA, good letters of recc, great score on the MCAT) candidate and not get into a school, while a mediocre candidate gets in. You stand a chance, like I said. We're close to the same boat with a rocky BCPM gpa and nearly identical extra curriculars. If you don't get in your first try, figure out how to get in on your second. Make some connections, network - talk to some docs or current medical students. I've found some of my greatest advice come not just on here on SDN, but talking face-to-face with a few doctors. If there's a will, there is a way. Best of luck to you.

nail your MCAT

I have a 2.8, and I got in. I have had several interviews...bottom line is nail your MCAT!

you could be the PERFECT (High GPA, good letters of recc, great score on the MCAT) candidate and not get into a school, while a mediocre candidate gets in.

This could be true, but I figure if that you need the personality as well as good grades (I didn't say perfect grades!). While the High GPA/good LORs/high MCAT score will get you the interview...if you don't present well, you really aren't any further along than a student with real bad grades.

Now for the OP. Since you've already committed yourself to the masters program (med schools want to see commitment), keep going on that end...but it would probably do you well for your UG to do as one of the posters above stated. DO schools are more forgiving and will replace lower grades for higher grades.

Best of Luck!
Stay Strong!
Krisss17