Low SMP GPA, 4.0 post-bacc

Started by azuramira
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

azuramira

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello everyone. I wanted to share my situation and hopefully get some advice. I am a non-trad premed who will be applying this year with a less than ideal GPA of about 3.0 for both cumulative and science. I graduated college many years ago but had a <3.0 GPA, mainly because I just didn't know how to study and lacked motivation and discipline. After college I still wanted to do med school and enrolled in an SMP, which did not go well. I happened to develop a health condition which was misdiagnosed for a while, leading to a failed first two semesters of the SMP. I did a lot better after diagnosis and medication, with the last 20 credits being a 3.7, but the damage was already done and I ended with a 3.0. It's a 3.4 if you factor in the repeated classes, but I know most schools don't do grade replacement anymore.

At the time, I spoke to my SMP's counselor and also to their medical school's admissions, and they said I would need to ace a post-bacc or a second SMP if I wanted to continue down this path. For financial reasons, I chose to do a DIY post-bacc. It was about 40 credits of advanced level biology classes with straight As throughout. However, only the last two semesters were full time because I was afraid to mess up again, so I started slow then added more credits as I became confident I could handle them. I've been working as a scribe ever since then and am currently studying for the MCAT, which I will take soon. By the time I apply I will have accumulated over 4,000 scribing hours from my current and old jobs, but I don't have many volunteering hours. My ECs include 100 hours of shadowing an MD, 150 hours volunteering with disabled patients, and 50 hours of additional clinical volunteering. These activities were years ago, but I more recently have 150 hours as a mentor with Big Brothers Big Sisters and 150 hours at a homeless shelter over the past two years. Both activities are ongoing so hours will be slightly more by the time I submit my application.

Do you think my upward trend in the SMP followed by the 4.0 post-bacc remedies my earlier academic performance? Please note I am only interested in DO schools and will be applying to DO only. I spoke to several DO admissions staff who all encouraged me to ace the MCAT and apply, but I am getting anxious as we approach the beginning of the cycle. I just want to know if I am on the right track here and how my application would come off. I do understand the low SMP GPA is a huge red flag, but I also don't think it should define me as it was majorly caused by something out of my control. I am hoping that I proved myself with the post-bacc, but I'm not sure if it is enough. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!
 
I am applying this summer and have read through quite a few threads.

I think the common consensus is:

(1) don't harp on medical issues too much, because it could be a red flag for continued success

(2) rock the MCAT and someone will take you

(3) regain confidence, premed advisors don't always give the best advice (remember they are on the outside looking in, IMHO many times just shooting in the dark).

BOL my friend you got this!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Your SMP performance doesn't sound horrible. Can you clarify how badly you performed on an SMP and why their counselors suggest doing another SMP? Did you tell those advisors you were looking at DO programs?
Hi, thank you for the response! So I didn't start off the SMP well and had D grades as well as a C+. D is not considered passing so I had to retake those classes and got B's. Then from there onwards I took an additional 7 classes and got a mix of A's (4 classes) and B+'s (3 classes). But it was mathematically impossible to come back from the earlier bad grades, so my overall SMP GPA is a 3.0 as will be calculated by AACOMAS. On my actual transcript the GPA is a 3.4 because of retakes. Also, the SMP was at a DO school, RowanSOM. They didn't think I had demonstrated that I could handle medical school classes, which is why they encouraged additional graduate or undergraduate upper level science courses. I got similar feedback from PCOM as well prior to starting my post-bacc.
 
I am applying this summer and have read through quite a few threads.

I think the common consensus is:

(1) don't harp on medical issues too much, because it could be a red flag for continued success

(2) rock the MCAT and someone will take you

(3) regain confidence, premed advisors don't always give the best advice (remember they are on the outside looking in, IMHO many times just shooting in the dark).

BOL my friend you got this!
Thank you so much for the advice and encouragement, I truly appreciate it!! I don't plan on mentioning my health beyond a brief explanation of what happened in the SMP and how I dealt with it. Also, your third point is honestly so important, my best grades only came after I started believing in myself and not listening to those who said I couldn't do it. Thanks again and best of luck to you as well!
 
Come back when you get MCAT score that will be the deciding factor.
That seems to be the consensus. Thanks for your input!
Where is your state of residence? You should receive DO interviews as long as your MCAT is 500+. Post your MCAT score here when available and I will suggest schools.
I'm a NJ resident. My MCAT diagnostic score was a little over 500 so that's good to know! Will report back once I have my actual score, thank you so much!
 
Hello everyone. I wanted to share my situation and hopefully get some advice. I am a non-trad premed who will be applying this year with a less than ideal GPA of about 3.0 for both cumulative and science. I graduated college many years ago but had a <3.0 GPA, mainly because I just didn't know how to study and lacked motivation and discipline. After college I still wanted to do med school and enrolled in an SMP, which did not go well. I happened to develop a health condition which was misdiagnosed for a while, leading to a failed first two semesters of the SMP. I did a lot better after diagnosis and medication, with the last 20 credits being a 3.7, but the damage was already done and I ended with a 3.0. It's a 3.4 if you factor in the repeated classes, but I know most schools don't do grade replacement anymore.

At the time, I spoke to my SMP's counselor and also to their medical school's admissions, and they said I would need to ace a post-bacc or a second SMP if I wanted to continue down this path. For financial reasons, I chose to do a DIY post-bacc. It was about 40 credits of advanced level biology classes with straight As throughout. However, only the last two semesters were full time because I was afraid to mess up again, so I started slow then added more credits as I became confident I could handle them. I've been working as a scribe ever since then and am currently studying for the MCAT, which I will take soon. By the time I apply I will have accumulated over 4,000 scribing hours from my current and old jobs, but I don't have many volunteering hours. My ECs include 100 hours of shadowing an MD, 150 hours volunteering with disabled patients, and 50 hours of additional clinical volunteering. These activities were years ago, but I more recently have 150 hours as a mentor with Big Brothers Big Sisters and 150 hours at a homeless shelter over the past two years. Both activities are ongoing so hours will be slightly more by the time I submit my application.

Do you think my upward trend in the SMP followed by the 4.0 post-bacc remedies my earlier academic performance? Please note I am only interested in DO schools and will be applying to DO only. I spoke to several DO admissions staff who all encouraged me to ace the MCAT and apply, but I am getting anxious as we approach the beginning of the cycle. I just want to know if I am on the right track here and how my application would come off. I do understand the low SMP GPA is a huge red flag, but I also don't think it should define me as it was majorly caused by something out of my control. I am hoping that I proved myself with the post-bacc, but I'm not sure if it is enough. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!
You have successfully reinvented yourself, showing the you of now is not the you of then.

Ace the MCAT and not only are DO schools in pkay, but so are a fair number of MD schools as well.
 
You have successfully reinvented yourself, showing the you of now is not the you of then.

Ace the MCAT and not only are DO schools in pkay, but so are a fair number of MD schools as well.
Oh wow, I never thought I'd hear this ever! I've been very worried about my stats and chances of acceptance, but that is very encouraging and is truly appreciated. Thank you for your feedback!!