Help making school list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

freedoctor17

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Your state schools and any of the top ~25 programs that you could see yourself attending.

Reactions: 1 users
Frankly, you can apply anywhere you wish provided that you meet residency requirement and/or school mission. Aim for some of the top 20 research schools if you like research and want to pursue it in med school (some schools require that students complete a project as a requirement for graduation) but consider what you want in a medical school, your learning style, your geographic preferences because, frankly, you are in the driver's seat here.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't really know much about the different type of med schools. I've never really cared about rank so I'm trying to consider other things. I have heard some schools have done away with grades and exams and make things more interactive and hands on. I'd definitely love a program like that. I'm interested in research but nothing as full blown as an MD/PhD. Should I just go ahead and buy the MSAR now then? Do they have information on the specifics of the programs?

Last edited:
All of the top research powerhouses, except Penn, have switched to fully Pass/Fail curriculum in preclinical years. The majority of them are also now abridged preclinical (most often 1.5 years, a few 1 year). Having at least some TBL is standard too. You do not need to be MD/PhD level to benefit from the research opportunities, especially if you are interested in competitive specialties, where multiple research experiences in medical school are expected on your resume. The average debt level at these schools is also usually lower than average (unsure if that data is still shown in the MSAR like it used to be) due to their larger financial aid budgets.

School websites are the best place to find info on the programs/curriculums, but the MSAR is a good purchase for various other pieces of information. Usually the most important info is the stats ranges, but as a 4.0/37 you're good to go everywhere in that regard.

All of the top research powerhouses, except Penn, have switched to fully Pass/Fail curriculum in preclinical years. The majority of them are also now abridged preclinical (most often 1.5 years, a few 1 year). Having at least some TBL is standard too. You do not need to be MD/PhD level to benefit from the research opportunities, especially if you are interested in competitive specialties, where multiple research experiences in medical school are expected on your resume. The average debt level at these schools is also usually lower than average (unsure if that data is still shown in the MSAR like it used to be) due to their larger financial aid budgets.

School websites are the best place to find info on the programs/curriculums, but the MSAR is a good purchase for various other pieces of information. Usually the most important info is the stats ranges, but as a 4.0/37 you're good to go everywhere in that regard.

Wow that's awesome! I wasn't aware of that. I heard from Friends of schools they were interested in because of the fact that there were no grades or exams. Didn't realize it was a lot more than just a couple. Thanks! definitely just gonna start combing through their websites then and making my own list of interesting ones.

One program I discovered during the application process was the Columbia-Bassett program through Columbia - if you are interested in focusing on longitudinal care (but not necessarily primary care), the program sounds really amazing. I have no hope of getting an interview there, but you might have some success with your stats and ECs. One thing that really helped me during the application process was answering the question, “Why this school?” Take the time to really look into each school and imagine asking yourself the same and writing an essay about it. This also helps you focus your research on each school (and you’ll find that some schools websites are super helpful and others leave something to be desired). Answering that question will help you determine what you are looking for in a school and you may find that your preferences change a little.

Iirc Columbia-Bassett is specifically created for rural underserved. Hence why it's out in a town of 2000 people. Probs not what OP has in mind!

One program I discovered during the application process was the Columbia-Bassett program through Columbia - if you are interested in focusing on longitudinal care (but not necessarily primary care), the program sounds really amazing. I have no hope of getting an interview there, but you might have some success with your stats and ECs. One thing that really helped me during the application process was answering the question, “Why this school?” Take the time to really look into each school and imagine asking yourself the same and writing an essay about it. This also helps you focus your research on each school (and you’ll find that some schools websites are super helpful and others leave something to be desired). Answering that question will help you determine what you are looking for in a school and you may find that your preferences change a little.

That does look amazing. They only take 12 students though from what their class pcitures show! That's gotta be crazy competitive. I'll have to look into it more. Thanks!

Iirc Columbia-Bassett is specifically created for rural underserved. Hence why it's out in a town of 2000 people. Probs not what OP has in mind!

I really haven't decided on anything yet so don't even know what I have in mind yet lol. I didn't know much about the variety of programs out there so doing this research now will hopefully help me figure it out before application time.

I really haven't decided on anything yet so don't even know what I have in mind yet lol. I didn't know much about the variety of programs out there so doing this research now will hopefully help me figure it out before application time.
To get into C-B I think you'd need a background/app narrative that was very oriented towards their rural bent. They only take about a dozen people and they all automatically get 30k merit scholarships + need aid. Very niche.

Honestly you learn a little from the websites, but a ton more from interviewing (or second look). I'd apply to most of the high-stats/"top" places and wait to pick favorites until after interviewing.

Our extended family has a house in Cooperstown and I have yet to really understand why it’s called “rural.” On the other hand, I grew up in a city that used to be the same way, so maybe it just feels like home.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Our extended family has a house in Cooperstown and I have yet to really understand why it’s called “rural.” On the other hand, I grew up in a city that used to be the same way, so maybe it just feels like home.

What city had 2000 residents during our lifetime ??

What city had 2000 residents during our lifetime ??

It’s only 2000 residents if you take a very small portion of it - official city limits, don’t include township, etc. it’s 1000 person/sq mi population density, meaning the city limits included are 2 sq miles - so I’m not sure official population is a good metric for gauging the area. Heck, my college town is almost that small and was not much denser when I was there. The area I grew up in had less than 10,000 residents in the city limits with the same population density, just larger city limits. Heck, we are just slightly more dense now. And we also qualify for Ag loans for housing, which I guess means we are rural. I just don’t see it that way.

When I drive through that area of New York I never get the feeling that I don’t have access to anything I need within thirty minutes. When I think rural, I think South Dakota where you drive for three hours without seeing a gas station. I guess it’s just a matter of perspective.

On the other hand, that can be quite the shock for people used to living in even moderately large cities, so I understand why they call it rural. And it’s a different from similar programs with an urban focus.

That does look amazing. They only take 12 students though from what their class pcitures show! That's gotta be crazy competitive. I'll have to look into it more. Thanks!

I was just thinking of some other special programs at various schools that I discovered along the way as well. I really wish I had known more about them when I started the application process, so look into any additional programs and you may find some you love!

Edit: found exactly what I was looking for! Harvard, Johns Hopkins and University of Michigan all have a masters in medical education program you can do and I'm gonna continue searching for more.

Last edited:
My list so far (please help me narrow this down from 27 to 15-20, would like to apply to 4 or 5 of my state schools and 10 to 15 of non state ones)

My State Schools:
-University of Cincinnati
-OSU
-University of Toledo
-CWRU
-Wright State University
-NEOMED

Non state schools
-Baylor
-Boston University
-Columbia University
-Drexel