India and South Asia Help!!! Manipal.. Canada... USMLE's..aaah!

Started by Blubber
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Blubber

Junior Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello everyone!

I am also a Canadian citizen. In second year of my E&B engineering program at MAC. So far 3.80, research experience and a couple of leadership positions. I have decided that I would like to go to India to study medicine because I think I will burn out with the crazy course load if I keep on this route and it's too late for me to change my program... I dont wanna waste any more years. There is also no guarantee I will get into medicine here. So, I have made up my mind... me--> India.

I understand the education system there because I studied up till grade 9 under CBSE so I am not going to be shocked by anything. I have been thinking of going to Manipal or any university in Hyderabad and surrounding areas.

I have a few questions about everything
-> When can I apply?
-> Is it possible to get financial aid or scholarships based on academic merit?
-> How is an academic year like? Duration of summer holidays?
-> Would I able to do part time or summer research with a prof?
-> Would I be able to take part in sports.. soccer?
-> Is there a student government/union/assembly of any sort?
-> I know theres 4 1/2 years and then 1 year of rotations. Is it possible to do the rotations in Canada or US?
-> When would I have to write the USMLE's?..I would eventually like to work in the United States.
-> After writing the USMLE's is there a waiting period of a year?

this is it for now... will ask more
please help me out.. thankyou
 
Ok first thing you should do, is stop blubbering :laugh: , if you think getting through second year is tough, wait till you get to medschool. Anyways, you made your choice, which is good. But you have to decide where you want to end up in the future (which country). I'm sure you know the status of IMGs in Canada, and even in Ontario. If you're heading to India, and don't want to practise there, then your best chance is coming to the States, not Canada (because of the limited spots to write the examination). Plus, coming from an international school, you'd be placed in the second round of CARMS, not the first, which means you'd be stuck with a specialty that you won't enjoy (most likely). Anyways, as for the USMLEs, I'm sure you know that there are three parts (as there are for the Canadian Boards). I don't know about Mannipal, but after you complete your basic sciences, you sit for the USMLE Part1. Then you go for your clinical rotations. You can choose where you want to do the rotations, you just have to talk to the hospitals about that to see if they have any affiliations.

That's all the help I can give you.. but as for info on Mannipal, we got a lot of people here who know much more than myself. Try a search first, which might help.
 
hey thanks for the swift reply...

My first choice of practising medicine would be somewhere warm like southern United States. Forget about CARMS and Ontario... I would just go for USMLE's straight up. I know a computer engineering from Queen's who told me he's finding med school at MAC easier than his engineering.. 😱. So, I hope med school wouldn't be so hard on me but it's not about that. I go through 4 years of hard labour and still no guarantee of getting in. That is one of the reason why I dont wanna stay here 😡
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
🙁 I know you are out there Manipalians. paleeaase help!!!

Hey! 30 views no replies 😱
 
the correct term is KMC'ites ... yes we are here.

I would say that Indian medicine is more stressful and tougher than undergrad, so if you are stressed out now, that won't change by going to Manipal. Although compared to engineering, medicine is just memorization, and there are no trick questions on exams. I think you should stick it out at McMaster or McGill (that's Mac, right?). Only consider India if you can't get into a Canadian School. As Sunny says, esp. in Canada you will be limited in your specialty choices when you come back. Most do FP. If that is what you want, then it's fine. Even for the US, anything other than non-competitive specialties are difficult (but possible to get). At this point, you probably don't know what you want to do. Staying in Canada leaves more options open.

OK, so you want to go to India. Yes, if you did well on the CBSE, you will do fine in the Indian system.
When can you apply? Any time. Manipal (and most schools) start only once a year in July/Aug. They have a twinning program with Malaysia which starts every 6 months. I assume you have looked at www.manipal.edu They might have more specifics there. If I remember right, there was an application to fill out, they wanted your transcripts from high school and college if you had done any. Maybe a copy of your diploma(s).

Can you get a scholarship? Not as an NRI. You could get Stafford loans from the US, but I don't know about from the Canadian govt. Nice thing about Manipal is you pay your tuition yearly, as opposed to other schools where you pay all at once. I had a classmate who did undergrad at UC-Berkley, and flunked out of Manipal. They gave her most of her 1 year's tuition back. The following year she got into UCSF (who said India was easy?).

Summer holidays????? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
OK, it may have changed by now, but basically, you got off 6 national holidays (one day each) and in I MBBS, we got off 1 month after your first term, and one month after the third term (end of I MBBS exams). Now, I MB is only 1 year (not 1.5) so I don't know how they do it. Then the frequency of your holidays decrease. We still got off maybe 1 or 2 holidays of about a month before we graduated, but that was it. You do get some time after your II MB, Final MB part I, and Final MB part II exams while awaiting results. Many go home then for ~2-4 weeks. Remember, college meets Mon-Sat. Sat was a half day the first semester, but after that, they love to schedule your complete day from 8-5 (or later). Attendance is mandatory to take the exams, and they are strict about that rule (80% or something like that). So some students used to extend their breaks by missing class ... but if they didn't make attendance, they couldn't sit their exams.

Student Union???? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Maybe it has changed since I was there ... in the past there was one, but it was disbanded by the Dean when they tried to protest something. We tried to start one up when I was there, but again disbanded. There is a new Dean now, so maybe it will come. KMC M'lore has one.

No summer breaks, so no time for research. No one (almost no one) in Manipal does research. The profs just teach or see patients.

Intramural and intercollegiate sports do exist. Manipal B-ball and football (soccer) was quite good.

Yes, you can do all but 3 months of your internship in the US or Canada (but easier said than done). And you can do 1 month as a final year student in a US hospital as a 4th year elective clerkship.

Yes, you have to write your USMLE or the Canadian equivalent

Most people do lose at least 1 year between graduating (completing internship) and starting residency. It is faster to go to the UK, but jobs there are hard to come by these days.

Again, my advice, stay and try to get in a med school here. India is pretty darn stresfull. Your entire year rests in the hands of one exam. If you are sick that day, or whatever ... gone. You will fail and have to repeat for 6 months. Whatever you decide, good luck!
 
Thankyou very much for the response KMC'ite retro. 😀

The reason why I said was stressed out is because I am in a difficult program with no guarantees of getting admission here, though it is a good backup. It is very difficult to manage the school work with the extra curriculars that are essential for med school.

And im in McMaster :luck:.. not sure if McGillian's call themselves MAC students. By the way E&B = Electrical and Biomedical engineering... we work with circuit boards & microelectronic devices in one class and with cadavers in another 😀.

I know I can handle the coursework and I am willing to work super hard to become a super good doctor... I am willing apply amla hair oil and eat chyavanprash everyday :laugh:. I would have no problems mixing with the locals.

OK, it may have changed by now, but basically, you got off 6 national holidays (one day each) and in I MBBS, we got off 1 month after your first term, and one month after the third term (end of I MBBS exams). Now, I MB is only 1 year (not 1.5) so I don't know how they do it. Then the frequency of your holidays decrease. We still got off maybe 1 or 2 holidays of about a month before we graduated, but that was it. You do get some time after your II MB, Final MB part I, and Final MB part II exams while awaiting results. Many go home then for ~2-4 weeks. Remember, college meets Mon-Sat. Sat was a half day the first semester, but after that, they love to schedule your complete day from 8-5 (or later). Attendance is mandatory to take the exams, and they are strict about that rule (80% or something like that). So some students used to extend their breaks by missing class ... but if they didn't make attendance, they couldn't sit their exams.
I dont mind going on Saturday's. Do they accomodate muslim students... allowing them to go for friday prayers?

Student Union???? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Maybe it has changed since I was there ... in the past there was one, but it was disbanded by the Dean when they tried to protest something. We tried to start one up when I was there, but again disbanded. There is a new Dean now, so maybe it will come. KMC M'lore has one.

Ok if there isnt one... will try yet once again. 😀

No summer breaks, so no time for research. No one (almost no one) in Manipal does research. The profs just teach or see patients.
Say that I want to get Neurosurgery residency in the U.S. Don't I have to show some aptitude for it like in the form of research? How would I be able to get good references for a residency in specialities such as it? Can you tell me your experiences in getting a residency? like how you came about getting reference letters and preparing for USMLE's and what not.

Intramural and intercollegiate sports do exist. Manipal B-ball and football (soccer) was quite good.
👍

Most people do lose at least 1 year between graduating (completing internship) and starting residency. It is faster to go to the UK, but jobs there are hard to come by these days.
Can you describe me a situation where it could be possible do it without the gap?
Again, my advice, stay and try to get in a med school here. India is pretty darn stresfull. Your entire year rests in the hands of one exam. If you are sick that day, or whatever ... gone. You will fail and have to repeat for 6 months. Whatever you decide, good luck!
I am guessing that if most people can do it without failing. I can do it.
I love India and have lots of relatives in AP. I got to India every two years. I have a cousin there at KMC, she is sick in hospital 🙁 , I would get in touch with as soon as she gets well.
Once again thankyou very much retro
 
about applications in Manipal- i can´t help you- i don´t know- but about many other things- Here you go!

No financial help for NRIs from Indian Institutes- If someone back there in Canada sponsors you- you hav to find out!

Academic years_
1st year- Anatomy, Boichemistry, Physiology, PSM,- 1 year- 2 semesters-not many leaves- one month off after the university exams of 1st yr.
2nd yr.- pathology, pharmacology, forensic medicine, microbiology- with clinical postings! 1.5 years- 3 semesters- 1 uni exam! relatively relaxed time of life
3rd yr.- medicine, surgery, Ob Gy, Subspecialities and all clinicals! 2 years- 4 semesters- 2 uni exams. with concurrent clinical postings- most stressful part!
this makes the 4.5 years and then 1 year of Clinical Rotations- called Internship

You can get internship in anyplace in the world at a recognized hospital by taking a prior permission from your college for 6 months- some colleges allow upto 9 months- but the draw back is that you don´t get paid a buck if you get these internship anywhere else then your own college hospital!! usually atleast 3 months and someplaces 6 months are compulsory to be done at the college hospital!

No professors here do any Summer research you can help in usually- except at some good institutes- and you can help them with that for development of yur career- but if you are dreamin about making some pocket money by getting paid for assisting research- go fish!

Sports- yes- there is some spoorts in indian medical college! I repeat- SOME!!

Student unions in Medical colleges usually don´t survive- there are some at many colleges- but they don´t have much to say or do except organizing annual function and putting up a board with the names of the office bearers!

If you want to work in USA and have studied in Ìndia- you HAVE to do write USMLE all 3 parts! and even after that you can land upon Internal medicine or Anesthesiology usually- not surgical branches! and yes- you have to wait for the left over seats!

LAST WORDs-- DON´T EVEN DREAM THAT MEDICINE IN INDIA IS EASIER THING TO DO THAN ENGINEERING IN ANY CORNER OF THE WORLD!!!
Medicine in India is one of the most stressful study- and you wont have much time to enjoy or do other things you like- or develop your personal interests! Usually!!
 
Blubber said:
The reason why I said was stressed out is because I am in a difficult program with no guarantees of getting admission here, though it is a good backup. It is very difficult to manage the school work with the extra curriculars that are essential for med school.

I know I can handle the coursework and I am willing to work super hard to become a super good doctor...

I dont mind going on Saturday's. Do they accomodate muslim students... allowing them to go for friday prayers?

Say that I want to get Neurosurgery residency in the U.S. Don't I have to show some aptitude for it like in the form of research? How would I be able to get good references for a residency in specialities such as it? Can you tell me your experiences in getting a residency? like how you came about getting reference letters and preparing for USMLE's and what not.

Can you describe me a situation where it could be possible do it without the gap?

I am guessing that if most people can do it without failing.

OK, I still say medical school will be more stressful than what you are doing now ... but ok.

No, they don't accomadate Muslims on Friday. You can usually sneak out around lunchtime, but if you are on duty, in surgery, taking an exam or in a class, don't expect to get let out.

See, if you want neurosurg, you almost cannot go abroad for med school. You just won't get it, no matter what you do. I mean, it is tough enough for US students. Remember, realistically, your choices for residency when you come back are limited to FP, IM, Pedi, Psych, PM&R, Neuro, Path, Nuc. Medicine, and to a lesser extent Gen Surg, OB-GYN, Rads, Anaesthesia. You severely limt your choices about what you can do if you go overseas for school.

How do you do research and the like? You usually would do it after residency. You get yoursef a research job at a US med school where you would like to go and spend a couple years at it. Get published, etc.

How I got a residency? Well, first off I always wanted either pedi or IM. So I knew I didn't have to work that hard. I did rotations in the US in those specialties, impressed the attendings, and got LoR. I also got a research job working for one of those attendings. I studied and did well on my MLEs and applied. No secret to it.

The only way to avoid a year off is to take your MLE during residency, and pray you can get your ECFMG cert in time and have time to interview. If you finish your final MBBS in Dec, you can start internship in Jan. So the theoretical earliest you can finish is Jan of the next year. Only then can you get your diploma, which you need to send in to the ECFMG. They will take 2 weeks to process it and then send it out to your med school for verification. Once your med school receives it, confirms it, and sends it back, it will take another 2 weeks for the ECFMG to say you are certfied. So while you can rank programs without a cert., there is no gurantee they will rank you not knowing whether or not you will have the cert. in hand to be able to start residency. This is esp important for competitive specialties which want you to have passed steps I and II and have your cert before they even interview you.

And most people don't do it without failing. In my I MBBS class, they failed 40% of the students. It is MUCH easier to fail in the Indian system. The best way I can describe it is that in the US, the bias of the examiners is to pass you; you have to work to fail (almost no one fails in the US). In India, the bias of the examiner is to fail you; you have to work to pass. If you pass I MBBS without failing, there is a good chance you will make it through without every failing, but because it all rests on that one exam ... you are never sure. I don't want to scare you. I never failed, and plenty of people never fail, but you should walk into it with your eyes open. Most people who fail I MBBS learn their lesson and pass the next time, but they have a saying in Manipal, once a casual (one who is in the casual batch, the batch that is now out of sync with the rest of your class) always a casual. So many do fail at least one more class after that.