help? masters or post-bacc?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dreamerofdmd

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! So, I didn't get into D-School for 2007. No worries here though, I'll reapply and reapply.... someone's gotta take me!

Well, here's the deal...
TS=20
AA=20
PAT=17
I'll retake DATs in July...

I'm graduating in May with a BS in Bio... and so far I've gotten into the MBS at UMDNJ's grad school.... the Post-Bacc PreMedical program at Duquesne, and the MS in cellular and molecular biology at Tulane...
Has anyone gone through any of these programs or does anyone have any stats on how well they work to get into D-school?

GPA=3.21
Science GPA=2.98

Where do I go from here? I want to reapply for 2008... which is weird because nothing will really have changed in my app... just a few more hours of work/volunteering/research... and my Spring grades will be added.

Any advice would be priceless! Thanks guys!

Members don't see this ad.

Yikes! I think the reason you might not have gotten in is the less then stellar science GPA. If I were you, I'd pick whichever location I thought I'd be happiest. Most likely, since you weren't accepted due to a high science GPA, I'd do a grad program.

I'm not exactly sure PreMed post bac would help because I have NO idea what this is. I know quite a few people who were rejected from dental school and then reapplied with a master's and were accepted.

The key will be to increase the science GPA (ie crush your master's program), get some more shadowing hours/volunteer hours, apply when you are done with your masters....so for the 2009 cycle (ouch! I know!). And when you come back for the next cycle, APPLY EARLY! Like day it opens early! And apply to a bunch of schools.

So don't take the DAT in July or else it will expire before you apply again. So take it next summer.

Just go to whichever school you think you'd be happy at. And what is the premed post bacc?

Good luck!

okay, i was dying to know so i looked up pre-med post bacc. i'd say do a master's....looks like the post bacc is for people interested in md/do programs.

Members don't see this ad :)
the difference is that if I do a post-bacc, regardless of whether it's pre-med or not, that GPA gets factored into my undergraduate GPA... if I do a master's, my gpa stays the same... and I get a new masters gpa. But I've heard many different things... for example that a non-thesis masters is considered an easy way out while a thesis masters often takes more than one year. Also, i've heard that since doing post-bacc is like taking an extra year of undergrad classes, they're a little more difficult to get A's in. And God forbid I don't get an A... my GPA will just go down.

I'm a Stony Brook Univ. undergrad, and I have over a thousand volunteer and shadowing hours and ortho, pedo, and gpr clinics. i've also been a part-time art instructor at a private art studio for about 6 years now. Just a little about me.

Applying in 2009 scares me... it's late. Would anyone recommend applying in '08?

the difference is that if I do a post-bacc, regardless of whether it's pre-med or not, that GPA gets factored into my undergraduate GPA... if I do a master's, my gpa stays the same... and I get a new masters gpa. But I've heard many different things... for example that a non-thesis masters is considered an easy way out while a thesis masters often takes more than one year. Also, i've heard that since doing post-bacc is like taking an extra year of undergrad classes, they're a little more difficult to get A's in. And God forbid I don't get an A... my GPA will just go down.

I'm a Stony Brook Univ. undergrad, and I have over a thousand volunteer and shadowing hours and ortho, pedo, and gpr clinics. i've also been a part-time art instructor at a private art studio for about 6 years now. Just a little about me.

Applying in 2009 scares me... it's late. Would anyone recommend applying in '08?
I would. You never know until you try. I was told the same thing that I need to finish my easy-way-out master before spending my hard-earned $ on appl. fee and all other crap. But you know what, I rather spend a couple more throusand $ to buy another chance (if you're a gambler like me). Time worth more than anything right now. If you enroll in a master for Fall even summer, the school will have at least one semester of your GPA by Dec. Two of my master friends got accepted before they finished their first semester of MS. However I must say that one of them got good DAT score - 24AA 20PAT and the other one are a son of one of the dental school assistant prof.

I had it in the dental forum because i wanted feedback from those who have successfully finished their MS programs or Post-Bacc's and have either positive or negative experiences to share. sorries for the confusion!

sorry! i'm trying to delete it...but i don't know how :( this sucks mannn!

I think doing either of the programs will help.

I think the Tulane program sounds great. U do get a MS right?? But you also take first year medical/dental school classes pretty much, and they are catered towards students like you, that have a lot of potential, but GPA that holds them back. Ur DAT scores are actually really good, so post bac, or MS program will just show your determination, and will to go to d-school. I think if you can get into Toulane program go for it.

I just got into a similar program at TCOM, that is designed for premed students mainly, but I applied with my DAT scores and they accepted me. I think that proving my abbilities in first year med/dent classes will show them how capable one is... and that you can do well in those kind of classes/environment.

Good luck!!! We are in the same boat. Also don't wait untill you finish the program to apply... Toulane actually helps you apply, and if you need LORS they can help you with that too... I think it is just perfect. But expensive for out of state...