Help!!! MCAT in 10 days...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

piscean92

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

My test date is March 31st & my score is stuck at 491-492 :( Does anyone know if it's possible to drastically improve the score in 10 days or should I reschedule? Also I really can't figure out why my scores have plateaued at such a low point. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

My test date is March 31st & my score is stuck at 491-492 :( Does anyone know if it's possible to drastically improve the score in 10 days or should I reschedule? Also I really can't figure out why my scores have plateaued at such a low point. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Or, more likely, a deficiency in the type of critical reasoning required by the exam. Solid critical and experimental reasoning should get you into the 500 range. Yes, content is probably weak too, but its the exam's thinking requirements that are probably killing you. Absolutely do NOT take the exam in 10 days. Even if those are prep company FLE scores, which tend to go up, you'd need a monumental test day jump to get into even low-competitive score ranges. I'd re-evaluate what my study habits and approaches are and look toward a July/August MCAT with a detailed study system between now and then. That means you're probably applying next cycle, but you can't get in this cycle with a 495 anyway. I've seen MANY students go up by 20+ points when they do it the right way, so don't be discouraged!

Reactions: 1 user
Take a deep breath and reschedule. A score like that indicates a severe content deficiency.
Thank you. What in your opinion is best for content review? I have tried Kaplan books but they are too detailed, I can't remember much from those. I like their videos, but they don't have them on every topic.

Thank you. What in your opinion is best for content review? I have tried Kaplan books but they are too detailed, I can't remember much from those. I like their videos, but they don't have them on every topic.

I used Kaplan. If you didn't like those you can try examcrackers. Also use Khan academy videos. They were helpful. Best of luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Or, more likely, a deficiency in the type of critical reasoning required by the exam. Solid critical and experimental reasoning should get you into the 500 range. Yes, content is probably weak too, but its the exam's thinking requirements that are probably killing you. Absolutely do NOT take the exam in 10 days. Even if those are prep company FLE scores, which tend to go up, you'd need a monumental test day jump to get into even low-competitive score ranges. I'd re-evaluate what my study habits and approaches are and look toward a July/August MCAT with a detailed study system between now and then. That means you're probably applying next cycle, but you can't get in this cycle with a 495 anyway. I've seen MANY students go up by 20+ points when they do it the right way, so don't be discouraged!
Thank you. I also think I need to work on critical reasoning. Also, I have heard Altius practice tests are more similar to the actual. Do you know if there are any discounts right now?

I used Kaplan. If you didn't like those you can try examcrackers. Also use Khan academy videos. They were helpful. Best of luck!
Thanks. That's what I think I'm going to do. However, I wish I could find videos with images/animations. That helps me remember things better.

Thank you. I also think I need to work on critical reasoning. Also, I have heard Altius practice tests are more similar to the actual. Do you know if there are any discounts right now?

Yes, they have a March Madness promotion during which all of the Altius FLEs are 50% off with a coupon code. Forum rules don't allow me to post discount codes, but if you want the codes just send me a private message. I don't think you would do this, but just in case, I should say that if you do take the exam in 10 days it would be very unwise to burn through the Altius FLEs to try to boost your score last minute. Maybe 1 or 2. I'd save those for a retake, or, I think you'd be much smarter to just postpone the exam and take all 10 slowly between now and an August exam. Good luck!

Yes, they have a March Madness promotion during which all of the Altius FLEs are 50% off with a coupon code. Forum rules don't allow me to post discount codes, but if you want the codes just send me a private message. I don't think you would do this, but just in case, I should say that if you do take the exam in 10 days it would be very unwise to burn through the Altius FLEs to try to boost your score last minute. Maybe 1 or 2. I'd save those for a retake, or, I think you'd be much smarter to just postpone the exam and take all 10 slowly between now and an August exam. Good luck!
Yea I am planning to postpone it, but only until May. I was thinking maybe if I keep going enough practice questions, I will learn the material too. I have gone over the books a couple of times. Some info is hard to remember unless I need to apply it in a question.

Yea I am planning to postpone it, but only until May. I was thinking maybe if I keep going enough practice questions, I will learn the material too. I have gone over the books a couple of times. Some info is hard to remember unless I need to apply it in a question.

Your thinking is on the right track there. There is only so much content review that can be helpful, and if you've gone through review books a couple of times doing so again won't do much. It sounds like you need to make major progress with what actually gets you points on the MCAT (and the ONLY thing that does) answering AAMC-style questions correctly. When you can tackle intense AAMC passages with comfort and confidence then you'll be ready. It really is about the reasoning, the thinking, the process you use to work through a question, etc., that makes the difference.

Your thinking is on the right track there. There is only so much content review that can be helpful, and if you've gone through review books a couple of times doing so again won't do much. It sounds like you need to make major progress with what actually gets you points on the MCAT (and the ONLY thing that does) answering AAMC-style questions correctly. When you can tackle intense AAMC passages with comfort and confidence then you'll be ready. It really is about the reasoning, the thinking, the process you use to work through a question, etc., that makes the difference.
Thank you so much! I needed to hear something like that :)

Thanks. That's what I think I'm going to do. However, I wish I could find videos with images/animations. That helps me remember things better.

Khan has animations. There is also this guy on YouTube who sings certain biochemistry concepts like the Krebs cycle and ETC. Just search in youtube.

I was really able to remember stuff after hearing it in song form. Lol

Khan has animations. There is also this guy on YouTube who sings certain biochemistry concepts like the Krebs cycle and ETC. Just search in youtube.

I was really able to remember stuff after hearing it in song form. Lol
Haha yea I've watched those. I'll check out KA vids.