Help me as newcomer to find my way out

Started by PAMH
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

PAMH

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Experts,

Hope you all are doing well. 🙂

I am not sure here is a right place to ask my question or not. If not please refer me to the right spot. :whistle:
I recently got my PhD in Veterinary Medicine overseas and immigrated to the US. I start searching to know that can I start working here in the US as junior/ assistant or not. But I could not find any good answer to my questions. I am totally confused now and need someone to help me out and show me the right way.
First I thought I need to get back to school here in the US and update my degree based on the US educational system. Since we are living in Houston, I contacted Texas A&M University and was told by admission department that since I got my degree from none US accredited university they cannot admit me in DVM program and I need to start from scratch. But as you all now, after almost 8 years it’s really hard to start from scratch and attend to Chemistry 101 again. 🙁

I came across this forum when I was browsing the web to find my answers and I feel I found the right place to find out more about my situation and the path I need to walk though. After all, here are my questions:
  • Should I really need start from scratch?
  • Does it help to start my career as junior/ assistant, if I take ECFVG exam here in the US?
  • Any thoughts and ideas to make this process smoother?
Please keep the following highlights in your mind about my situation if you decide to help me out:
  • My PhD Degree is from overseas and not from US accredited University
  • English is my second language and I never took any professional exam like TOEFL etc.
  • I am US legal resident and living in Houston and do not need any student visa
  • I already did some voluntary job at local pet clinic and gained some practical experience
Thanks for your time to help me on this issue.
Pam
 
I think you need to talk to the people who do the ECFVG exam in order to figure out more about it. There is a program for foreign graduates for qualifying called PAVE, I put the link in.

http://www.aavsb.org/PAVE/

I'm guessing you'll also need to take a TOEFL since your first language isn't English. Hope you find what you need!