Moving to Europe after graduation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

frostyram

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Has anyone here moved abroad to Europe post vet school graduation? I really like the idea of Foreign Earned Income Exclusion (FEIE) and I was planning on moving out of the U.S. at some point regardless. I likely will settle in Canada since it’s closest but I wanted to see if any vets here can share their experience in moving to Europe since that’s also a possibility? Thank you!
 
I don't know anything about the FEIE and haven't left the US (I also don't know that we have any practicing Europeans/Europe expats on here?). Generally vet salaries drop considerably outside of the US and would keep most people from being able to manage their US student loan payments. Not sure where you are at in your schooling/planning but that is something to consider as private loans become reality for nearly everyone attending vet school.

@overcastkidjuno for a better Canadian perpsective....but it seems Canadian housing is big expensive drama right now?
 
Well, Canada would probably be easier than Europe and depending on the type of practice you are in, there are generally lots of openings. But @pp9 is correct that salaries tend to be lower (moreso in Europe) and COL higher. The financial aspect of any student loans needs to be heavily considered with this. The Canadian provinces can vary quite a bit so some research into where you would want to live would be important. There are vets on the Not One More Vet Facebook page that have moved to Canada from the U.S. that I'm sure could give you more specific advice on how they went about it.

If you're a student still, I would consider some externships in the areas you want to be to get a feel for it.

My spouse and I fantasized about moving to a place in Scandinavia when we traveled there for a month but realistically the language requirements would be a big hurdle even with the countries being largely fluent in English. The U.K. has much lower pay and would be more of a struggle on that front but wouldn't have the language barrier to overcome.

Facebook vet-specific groups would probably be the best resource in finding people that made the leap.