Help me choose my interim career

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ObLaDi

Now back to the good part
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am just about to graduate from college with a degree in English literature. I have decided that medicine is my ultimate career goal, but seeing as I have not taken any pre-med classes yet, I am still a few years out from applying to any schools. I also need to do a bit of gpa repair. My gpa isn't horrific, but it isn't fantastic either.

My question is, I am currently at a loss as to what do while I am completing my pre-reqs. Not working is not an option, at least for right now. Also, I have a very sparse work history, and I am worried that this might reflect poorly when I apply to medical school.

In order to both acquire money AND create a work history, I have a few jobs that I am considering.

Option #1- Become a CNA and or Unit secretary in a hospital or nursing home. One potential drawback to this choice is that I already have 3 years of CNA experience. Would 3 plus years as a CNA be too much clinical experience? A benefit to this choice, however, is that it adds to the clinical experience I already have and at the same time gives me the flexibility I need while continuing my education. The biggest con to this option is the lack of other opportunities after quitting. I am afraid of working as a CNA for a few years, never getting into medical school, and being the worse off for it. However, this just may be the gamble I have to take to pursue medical school. This is also the cheapest, quickest option.

Option #2- Get a teaching license. Pros for this option are that it demonstrates teaching ability, ability to interact with other humans, and gives me job experience outside the clinical arena. Cons are the fact that teaching jobs are few and far between in my town, the cost and time involved in getting a teaching license, and that fact that teachers are generally needed during daylight hours. :cool:

Option #3- So this really isn't a "job" option unless you consider grad school as employment, but there is a fantastic school of public health in the town I live in. I could go there and get a MPH and then work in the public health field while completing my pre-reqs. Pros of this option are a masters degree in a health related field, and a career option with a lot of potential should my med school dreams not pan out. Cons, there are quite of few of these... One, it would be pretty expensive. Two, it would take at least two years to complete, and three, I would probably not be able to take more than one pre-requisite class at a time, extending the number of years before I apply to medical school AND cutting into my shadowing/volunteering/etc...

So these are the options I have come up with so far. Any insight or other ideas are much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

#1: There's no such thing as too much clinical experience. However, with three years under your belt already you are well past the point of diminishing return with regards to med school apps.

#3: The MPH I'm not to fond of due to the cost/time involved and the fact you could do a 5 year MD/MPH program if you really want a MPH.

If trying to get into med school on a relatively short time line is the main goal: I'd say the CNA (or teacher if the teaching license can be had quickly/inexpensively) is the best option listed.

Research jobs could be another thing to look at if you're interested in research. I'm not sure how easy it is to land a decent one with no experience/science background though (maybe another member has an idea?)

So I am just about to graduate from college with a degree in English literature. I have decided that medicine is my ultimate career goal, but seeing as I have not taken any pre-med classes yet, I am still a few years out from applying to any schools. I also need to do a bit of gpa repair. My gpa isn't horrific, but it isn't fantastic either.

My question is, I am currently at a loss as to what do while I am completing my pre-reqs. Not working is not an option, at least for right now. Also, I have a very sparse work history, and I am worried that this might reflect poorly when I apply to medical school.

In order to both acquire money AND create a work history, I have a few jobs that I am considering.

Option #1- Become a CNA and or Unit secretary in a hospital or nursing home. One potential drawback to this choice is that I already have 3 years of CNA experience. Would 3 plus years as a CNA be too much clinical experience? A benefit to this choice, however, is that it adds to the clinical experience I already have and at the same time gives me the flexibility I need while continuing my education. The biggest con to this option is the lack of other opportunities after quitting. I am afraid of working as a CNA for a few years, never getting into medical school, and being the worse off for it. However, this just may be the gamble I have to take to pursue medical school. This is also the cheapest, quickest option.

Option #2- Get a teaching license. Pros for this option are that it demonstrates teaching ability, ability to interact with other humans, and gives me job experience outside the clinical arena. Cons are the fact that teaching jobs are few and far between in my town, the cost and time involved in getting a teaching license, and that fact that teachers are generally needed during daylight hours. :cool:

Option #3- So this really isn't a "job" option unless you consider grad school as employment, but there is a fantastic school of public health in the town I live in. I could go there and get a MPH and then work in the public health field while completing my pre-reqs. Pros of this option are a masters degree in a health related field, and a career option with a lot of potential should my med school dreams not pan out. Cons, there are quite of few of these... One, it would be pretty expensive. Two, it would take at least two years to complete, and three, I would probably not be able to take more than one pre-requisite class at a time, extending the number of years before I apply to medical school AND cutting into my shadowing/volunteering/etc...

So these are the options I have come up with so far. Any insight or other ideas are much appreciated!

Maybe upgrade to an EMT-B or EMT-I and try something new as an ED Tech or CC Tech. More time as a CNA won't hurt but I'd think after 3 yrs you'd be aching to learn more. Maybe it's just me but 3 yrs as a CNA sounds painful!

Members don't see this ad :)
Travel.

See lots of places. Meet lots of people. Take chances and do interesting things. It can be done. You can volunteer, or work as you go, or get friends family to 'sponsor' you. Do it now while you can! Your career will be infinitely richer for your perspective and freedom and wisdom.

I agree with everything except the post immediately above... because of money.

If you can afford it, sure, travel or buy an island or something.

If you can't, do what you think you'd enjoy more. If EMT sounds cool, do it. And same with teaching.

A word of caution though: Don't get so much clinical experience that you become jaded. Medicine wears on people after a while, and medical school does a LOT of wearing too. Dip in a few times before you jump off the high dive.

I agree with everything except the post immediately above... because of money.

If you can afford it, sure, travel or buy an island or something.

If you can't, do what you think you'd enjoy more. If EMT sounds cool, do it. And same with teaching.

A word of caution though: Don't get so much clinical experience that you become jaded. Medicine wears on people after a while, and medical school does a LOT of wearing too. Dip in a few times before you jump off the high dive.

The cost of travel depends on how you do it. You can volunteer and/or work. Take more time, stay and live how the locals live.

I went around the world on $15 a day, 22 countries in a year this way. It changed my life in so many fantastic ways. It is not for everyone, but there is nothing like it.