Help Me Choose!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brentunc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am presently considering four different medical schools to which I have been accepted. I really like hearing what other people have to say about particular schools, so if there is anything that is really great or really bad about the following schools, please let me know. I have included what I like most/least about each school.

Pitt - great PBL format

Case Western Reserve - computer integration and pass/fail

Michigan - pass/fail and weekly quizes for first year, highly rated by residency directors

Johns Hopkins - great reputation, but bad location

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats!
I interviewed at three of your schools.
But honestly if you can be "mildly" happy at a school go to the best one that you got in to.
Hence UofM or Hopkins

Congrats on your acceptances! I've posted a few times about Hopkins -- I think it's a great place. Search for posts under "doepug" -- also feel free to e-mail me if you have any questions: [email protected].

Cheers,
doepug
(Hopkins Med '04)

Members don't see this ad :)
AHH, finally someone from Chapel Hill!! I see you are a student here. Just wondering if you applied here, or if you didnt want to go here for any reason?

How about that sucky game tonight...Just wait Duke, we'll get you back in the ACC!!

------------------
~Pegasus~

So what's the best way to narrow down the list of possible med schools to apply to. I haven't even taken the MCAT yet, but I'm trying to get an idea of where I'd like to apply, and I don't have a clue. I know you can use your stats to help you narrow the list, but what else did you all use as criteria?

Yes, the Duke-Carolina game stunk tonight.

With regards to going to med school at UNC, I have been accepted here, but I really do not want to spend eight straight years at one place. I know people will say, "But what about the cost". I have decided to do the Air Force HPSP (let's not argue why), so cost is not an object.

With regards to the schools that I choose and why, I picked Pitt because I used to live there and I was trying to help my chances of admission to a top 25 schools by applying somewhere which I had shown residency (public schools generally like to know that you'll stick around the area to practice). I choose Michigan because it is so highly rated, has great sports teams (fun to watch on your down time), and Ann Arbor is very similar to Chapel Hill. Johns Hopkins was simply a choice of mine because of its name. Lastly, I applied to Case Western Reserve because my grandfather went to engineering school there and I thought that that would help my chances of admission.

DDream4June - just remember to apply to some lower level schools. I did, but I did not list them since they are not my favorite schools. Good luck in your choices. I decided to apply to 11 schools and I picked three that I considered to be sub-par. My GPA and MCAT scores were average or better at the other eight that I applied to. Hope this helps.

If you liked Michigan's school, then go there. I'm an undergrad at Michigan, so I can't really comment on life in the medical school. That being said, Ann Arbor is a fun place to live even if the vast majority of your time is spent studying. There is always so much going on in town or in the surrounding areas. And, football games at Michigan are unmatched.

As for the quality of the medical school goes, I'v probably done the same research that you have... I dream of going there. (I got into the game after I'd done some damage to my GPA, though, so there's little chance of that....

If you have ANY questions about Ann Arbor or Michigan life (the state or the school) feel free to email me at [email protected] (Take out the 66).