help me decide? pre-pharmacy program or not?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Turtlev

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm not sure if I'm posting this on the right forum. Anyway, I just graduated from high school and I'm stuck between two colleges. (i sent my SIR to both)

I got into the 7 year pre-pharmacy program at UOP. I get my BS then go through pharmacy school. So basically, I have a guaranteed interview into their pharmacy school as long as I maintain a good GPA and write a decent essay. No PCAT/reqs/etc required. It sounds like good odds. However, there are a few negative things:

::CONS::
5 hours from home
seems like a dull location, sort of secluded
costs $3,000 more a year (not that bad)

I also got into UCSD as a pharmacological major in Revelle. I love how UCSD is just 1.5 hours from home, cheaper, and located in La Jolla! However, I would still have to apply to pharmacy school after getting my BS.. and the process seems very stressful and tedious!!

must reapply to pharmacy school (increasingly competitive?)
most likely finish in 8 years than 7

My question is::::::
Is it better to go through a pre-pharmacy program than deal with the hectic pharm school application process? Or maybe I'm just underestimating myself and thinking way too far in the future? What would you do if you were in my position?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I'm not sure if I'm posting this on the right forum. Anyway, I just graduated from high school and I'm stuck between two colleges. (i sent my SIR to both)

I got into the 7 year pre-pharmacy program at UOP. I get my BS then go through pharmacy school. So basically, I have a guaranteed interview into their pharmacy school as long as I maintain a good GPA and write a decent essay. No PCAT/reqs/etc required. It sounds like good odds. However, there are a few negative things:

5 hours from home
seems like a dull location, sort of secluded
costs $3,000 more a year (not that bad)

I also got into UCSD as a pharmacological major in Revelle. I love how UCSD is just 1.5 hours from home, cheaper, and located in La Jolla! However, I would still have to apply to pharmacy school after getting my BS.. and the process seems very stressful and tedious!!

must reapply to pharmacy school (increasingly competitive?)
most likely finish in 8 years than 7

My question is::::::
Is it better to go through a pre-pharmacy program than deal with the hectic pharm school application process? Or maybe I'm just underestimating myself and thinking way too far in the future? What would you do if you were in my position?

In my opinion, being a recent UOP graduate...I would have loved to have applied to the pre-pharm program right off the bat. As long as u get a 2.7 gpa, u r guaranteed an interview. as long as you dont screw up ur essay or interview, u r set to go into pharm school. I was not a pre-pharm and so had to go the hard way, basically even tho i go to the school they treat me like a transfer. I got an interview, but since there are so many applicants, i only got onto the wait list. So in my opinion, go into pre-pharm, but i am biased as well since i graduated there, i know all about the program. I have no idea about UCSD. If you have any questions feel free to PM me

First, the cost has to be put on hand. Are your parents willing to contribute 40x4 = 120k for undergrad?

Well, I am in the 2+3 program at UOP and starting pharm school this fall. This program is totally worth it.

You must live around LA. Because that is 5 hours from UOP and about 2 hours from SD. I know because I live in LA :).

College and high school are completely different things. I know a lot of smart high school kids who go into college and ruin their lives with tons of partying. Then there are the mediocre kids in high school who go into college getting top scores. It just depends on the person you know?

If you think you can get good grades, I think UCSD is the right place. It has a better environment compared to 'boring' Stockton.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it's a matter of how sure you are that you want to go into Pharmacy.

If you already worked in a pharmacy and know that it is indeed what you want to do, then go for the UOP program. I have a friend doing the program and she seems to enjoy it.

If you still have some other interests in mind other than pharmacy, then go for the UCSD pre-pharmacy program. It'll give you a chance to change your mind. I know a lot of people in UCSD and all of them seem to like it....which I find weird. Not one of them has said a bad thing about UCSD, other than the campus size.

7 years? Can you find a program like that in your area that'll take 6 years? Maybe going to the east coast would be beneficial for you, since we have quite a few 6-year direct entry programs (no PCAT, no interview, just if you enter as a freshman you stay in as long as you keep a required GPA, which is a 2.5 to a 3.5, depending on the school)

7 years? Can you find a program like that in your area that'll take 6 years? Maybe going to the east coast would be beneficial for you, since we have quite a few 6-year direct entry programs (no PCAT, no interview, just if you enter as a freshman you stay in as long as you keep a required GPA, which is a 2.5 to a 3.5, depending on the school)

there is a 5,6,7 year program at UOP, it mostly depends on ur grades and SAT scores