This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lucas988

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I'll just get right to the point, I'm applying for the next cycle for pharmacy school without the pcat since the schools I wanna apply to removed their pcat requirement for this cycle for whatever reason. My only dilemma that's been weighing heavy on my mind is well, I retook a few classes and have heard pharmacy schools do not do grade replacement which can really hurt my gpa given the fact that I did receive an F at one point my freshman year, and did do a pass/fail option for one of my classes when the pandemic first hit (i retook it and received a B) here are my stats:

(With grade replacement)
cumulative GPA so far: 3.3 (subject to change after winter and spring class grades are submitted)
Science gpa: 3.37
no academic citations on record, very clean.
3 1/2 years pharm tech experience
200+ hours volunteering at daycares and food drive organization
an active member of a professional health society club at my university: early 2020-present
tutoring: 2018-present

possible red flags on my transcript?
3 W's that I ended up retaking
2 F (my freshman year, did retake)
1 XE on the transcript (means I failed to show up to a final exam due to health complications and the professor did not submit a grade change form)
retook 4 classes, 2 of the 4 classes I retook twice until I got a satisfactory grade
was on academic probation (freshman year)

Most of my "red flags" were from my freshman year which was because I was fighting cancer at the same time (3 years cured now) and really tried getting everything together my sophomore year and got off probation as well. Its been stressing me out mentally for the last couple of days and wanted some professional advice on what to do/where to go from here? should I consider taking the pcat? Thanks, everyone! stay safe!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
PCAT wouldn`t help you unless you score really good on it. If they don`t require it I would never bother with it ever.

PCAT wouldn`t help you unless you score really good on it. If they don`t require it I would never bother with it ever.
so ive been told, but my question still stands on if I have a chance knowing my stats? thanks for the feedback though.

Members don't see this ad :)
When it's stated that programs do not do grade replacements, what is really meant is that grade calculations are done through the PharmCAS portal (online application pharmacy schools use to gather your information) and not directly to the program itself. So yes, PharmCAS will look at your official transcripts and automatically calculate any repeated courses as an average and not the higher grade.

On top of this, PharmCAS implements a numeric grade value for A/B & B/C grades rather than simply an A- or B+ or B- and C+. What this means is that when your sGPA and cGPA are calculated, your overall GPA will decrease compared to what your current university calculates due to including point placement accommodations for A/B - C/B grades (which overall would push your numeric grade value down).

Click the following link from PharmCAS and input your grades to get an idea of what your overall cGPA / sGPA will look like:

Calculating Your PharmCAS GPAs - Liaison (liaisonedu.com)

As for your question on whether to take the PCAT or not: If the programs you apply to do not require it, then do not take it. It will not help you. However, if you apply to the few programs that still require it or if they have it listed on their site as "optional" then it would behoove you to take it and excel to offset your red-flags on your growing transcript.

Lastly, in terms of stating if you will or will not get an interview invite: Are you getting a bachelors or doing prerequisites alone? If bachelors, then did you excel in your upper science classes? What specific classes did you retake? Regardless of sound reasoning as to your repeated courses (cancer), do you actually know the material now and show an upward trend far exceeding your first two semesters of school?

The minimum cut-off GPA for many programs has dropped from 3.3 to 3.0 to 2.75 and for few others 2.5... I would say 15+ years ago you would have an uphill battle trying to get an interview. Now though, if you cast a wide enough net and apply to some of the recently regionally accredited programs, you may end up getting a few interviews. Not enough information is given to suggest what you can do to be a stronger applicant other than to get consistent A's from here on out as much as you can. Pharmacy programs are a business, they have lowered their standards for many applicants to fill their seats and have waived the PCAT requirements. More graduates exist compared to jobs available. Yet, cast a wide enough net and you may get an interview.

Hope this helps.

When it's stated that programs do not do grade replacements, what is really meant is that grade calculations are done through the PharmCAS portal (online application pharmacy schools use to gather your information) and not directly to the program itself. So yes, PharmCAS will look at your official transcripts and automatically calculate any repeated courses as an average and not the higher grade.

On top of this, PharmCAS implements a numeric grade value for A/B & B/C grades rather than simply an A- or B+ or B- and C+. What this means is that when your sGPA and cGPA are calculated, your overall GPA will decrease compared to what your current university calculates due to including point placement accommodations for A/B - C/B grades (which overall would push your numeric grade value down).

Click the following link from PharmCAS and input your grades to get an idea of what your overall cGPA / sGPA will look like:

Calculating Your PharmCAS GPAs - Liaison (liaisonedu.com)

As for your question on whether to take the PCAT or not: If the programs you apply to do not require it, then do not take it. It will not help you. However, if you apply to the few programs that still require it or if they have it listed on their site as "optional" then it would behoove you to take it and excel to offset your red-flags on your growing transcript.

Lastly, in terms of stating if you will or will not get an interview invite: Are you getting a bachelors or doing prerequisites alone? If bachelors, then did you excel in your upper science classes? What specific classes did you retake? Regardless of sound reasoning as to your repeated courses (cancer), do you actually know the material now and show an upward trend far exceeding your first two semesters of school?

The minimum cut-off GPA for many programs has dropped from 3.3 to 3.0 to 2.75 and for few others 2.5... I would say 15+ years ago you would have an uphill battle trying to get an interview. Now though, if you cast a wide enough net and apply to some of the recently regionally accredited programs, you may end up getting a few interviews. Not enough information is given to suggest what you can do to be a stronger applicant other than to get consistent A's from here on out as much as you can. Pharmacy programs are a business, they have lowered their standards for many applicants to fill their seats and have waived the PCAT requirements. More graduates exist compared to jobs available. Yet, cast a wide enough net and you may get an interview.

Hope this helps.
I did not do a bachelors, no. the classes I retook were philosophy, psych (twice), and gen chem 1(twice) I did not retake any major upper-level courses. There is an upwards trend in my grades I went from academic probation to now receiving a GPA of 3.0+ in my semesters thus far and have made the deans list last semester. I really got my act together more after my first three semesters. I also calculated my overall science GPA and if they consider my "XE" as a failing grade, it will be a 2.86, if not it will be a 3.08. My overall cumulative GPA is a 2.86 for all attempted courses using pharmcas. The schools I was hoping to apply to did get rid of the pcat either indefinitely or for this cycle but they mentioned if your GPA or science GPA is less than a 3.0 to take the pcat but I have been told they do not mean pharmcas GPA but rather your university transcript GPA. I also was told pharmacy schools have been ridiculously easy to get into that they'll take even a 2.5 GPA as long as they are willing to open up their wallets. I'm just hoping I can at least manage to get 1 interview.

I also was told pharmacy schools have been ridiculously easy to get into that they'll take even a 2.5 GPA as long as they are willing to open up their wallets.
this is also a sign that you shouldn't go into the profession.
Have you ever worked in a retail pharmacy? There are far more graduates than jobs available...and a lot of the ones out there aren't great

Reactions: 1 users
I also was told pharmacy schools have been ridiculously easy to get into that they'll take even a 2.5 GPA as long as they are willing to open up their wallets. I'm just hoping I can at least manage to get 1 interview.

By knowing this, why would you still want to open your wallet? You should seriously look at the reason why pharmacy schools accept anyone willing to open their wallets and smart people are avoiding pharmacy like the plague.

Reactions: 2 users
By knowing this, why would you still want to open your wallet? You should seriously look at the reason why pharmacy schools accept anyone willing to open their wallets and smart people are avoiding pharmacy like the plague.
i have been looking into optometry, should I forget pharmacy and look into it??

i have been looking into optometry, should I forget pharmacy and look into it??

Yes, you should forget pharmacy. Not sure how optometry is, although it could be pretty saturated too.

Computer science or engineering would be much better choices. They offer far better job propsects and conditions, pay well, and do not require you to take out $200k+ in loans and spend an additional 4 years of your life in school.

I did not do a bachelors, no. the classes I retook were philosophy, psych (twice), and gen chem 1(twice) I did not retake any major upper-level courses. There is an upwards trend in my grades I went from academic probation to now receiving a GPA of 3.0+ in my semesters thus far and have made the deans list last semester. I really got my act together more after my first three semesters. I also calculated my overall science GPA and if they consider my "XE" as a failing grade, it will be a 2.86, if not it will be a 3.08. My overall cumulative GPA is a 2.86 for all attempted courses using pharmcas. The schools I was hoping to apply to did get rid of the pcat either indefinitely or for this cycle but they mentioned if your GPA or science GPA is less than a 3.0 to take the pcat but I have been told they do not mean pharmcas GPA but rather your university transcript GPA. I also was told pharmacy schools have been ridiculously easy to get into that they'll take even a 2.5 GPA as long as they are willing to open up their wallets. I'm just hoping I can at least manage to get 1 interview.

XE / WF will always count as a failing grade (F). If any program has modified the reasoning to take the PCAT due to GPA threshold not being met, then they're referring to your calculated GPA from PharmCAS. If it is not explicitly stated by your institute of choice or you did not cold-call each specific program, then I would presume you did not make the threshold and would indeed need to study for the PCAT.

Each program will give specifics of their requirements and cut-offs once you've signed up to use PharmCAS. Each program has a code and listing. All you have to do is see what GPA cut-offs are and what waivers are done through each of their sites that are linked through PharmCAS.

With that: If you are running to pharmacy due to no qualifications to apply to other healthcare professions, I would consider broadening your scope of interests in career choices. If you struggled this much in undergrad, pharmacy is going to be that much more challenging for you. For those who make it at the end of the student-tunnel, they quickly realize that the pay-out in working vs built up student loan debt coupled with years of sleepless nights in school simply do not add up.

With that, and now knowing how PharmCAS calculates your overall grades, log-in to their application site when the time comes. The cut-offs and requirements will start to make more sense when you see the list of programs.

See this thread. There are thousands of unemployed pharmDs and someone even set up a donation fund for them.

Bro, all of that stuff you typed was cool, but in the end you will be lucky to end up stuffing pills in a bottle for some ruthless corporation, who will eventually toss you out on your rear end. They will treat you like dirt, and pay you with it too. You will drown in debt until you retire and they yank it out of everythiong you own. OF course, i'm giving you a BEST case scenario.

Bro, all of that stuff you typed was cool, but in the end you will be lucky to end up stuffing pills in a bottle for some ruthless corporation, who will eventually toss you out on your rear end. They will treat you like dirt, and pay you with it too. You will drown in debt until you retire and they yank it out of everythiong you own. OF course, i'm giving you a BEST case scenario.
It will be interesting to see when (if) techs have enough access to automation to stuff and then release...then what? (I will be out of the biz by then)

I'm in your exact situation too with a similar GPA (but no F's). I've been wanting to become a pharmacist since I was in high school since my aunt is one and I got exposure through her. Lately I have been hearing a lot of people advise me to switch to another profession due to the saturation of the profession, but I really don't see another field I like. I currently work in a pharmacy in a well known large hospital and have gotten close to many of the pharmacists here. I'm not saying I'm guaranteed a job here, but if I were to go to pharmacy school I would most likely be able to come back and work as a pharmacist here. I'm still weighing out other options, but my gut really still wants to pursue pharmacy.

Hello everyone,
I'll just get right to the point, I'm applying for the next cycle for pharmacy school without the pcat since the schools I wanna apply to removed their pcat requirement for this cycle for whatever reason. My only dilemma that's been weighing heavy on my mind is well, I retook a few classes and have heard pharmacy schools do not do grade replacement which can really hurt my gpa given the fact that I did receive an F at one point my freshman year, and did do a pass/fail option for one of my classes when the pandemic first hit (i retook it and received a B) here are my stats:

(With grade replacement)
cumulative GPA so far: 3.3 (subject to change after winter and spring class grades are submitted)
Science gpa: 3.37
no academic citations on record, very clean.
3 1/2 years pharm tech experience
200+ hours volunteering at daycares and food drive organization
an active member of a professional health society club at my university: early 2020-present
tutoring: 2018-present

possible red flags on my transcript?
3 W's that I ended up retaking
2 F (my freshman year, did retake)
1 XE on the transcript (means I failed to show up to a final exam due to health complications and the professor did not submit a grade change form)
retook 4 classes, 2 of the 4 classes I retook twice until I got a satisfactory grade
was on academic probation (freshman year)

Most of my "red flags" were from my freshman year which was because I was fighting cancer at the same time (3 years cured now) and really tried getting everything together my sophomore year and got off probation as well. Its been stressing me out mentally for the last couple of days and wanted some professional advice on what to do/where to go from here? should I consider taking the pcat? Thanks, everyone! stay safe!
You will have no problem getting into pharmacy schools. I know people in much worse shape than you that got into many pharmacy schools. Pharmacy schools are having trouble filling all their seats due to saturation in the job marketplace and that is why " schools I wanna apply to removed their pcat requirement for this cycle for whatever reason" to make it easier to accept students. You will get into a school make sure you apply to multiple schools.

I'm not saying I'm guaranteed a job here, but if I were to go to pharmacy school I would most likely be able to come back and work as a pharmacist here.

You're putting all your eggs in one basket here. A ton can change in 4 years especially with management.

I've known some students who worked as techs, interned all 4 years, and even did most of their rotations at one hospital there only to have the door shut on them. That's 4+ years of loyalty to the hospital down the drain.

You're putting all your eggs in one basket here. A ton can change in 4 years especially with management.

I've known some students who worked as techs, interned all 4 years, and even did most of their rotations at one hospital there only to have the door shut on them. That's 4+ years of loyalty to the hospital down the drain.
There is a local supermarket chain in my area that is NOTORIOUS for telling interns they will have a job when they graduate and then ghosting them after graduation. Make the interns chase the carrot for cheap, easy labor then cut 'em lose and leave them to dry.

I'm in your exact situation too with a similar GPA (but no F's). I've been wanting to become a pharmacist since I was in high school since my aunt is one and I got exposure through her. Lately I have been hearing a lot of people advise me to switch to another profession due to the saturation of the profession, but I really don't see another field I like. I currently work in a pharmacy in a well known large hospital and have gotten close to many of the pharmacists here. I'm not saying I'm guaranteed a job here, but if I were to go to pharmacy school I would most likely be able to come back and work as a pharmacist here. I'm still weighing out other options, but my gut really still wants to pursue pharmacy.

You're going to risk $200,000+ in loans and 4 years of your life to enter a dead profession in the hopes that you'll land a job at one hospital? OMG. I thought I was taking a huge risk by buying Ethereum at 2800. To each their own I guess.

Nobody likes being a pharmacist. It pays the bills. As soon as it's time to clock out, every pharmacist has their foot out the door cause work is the last place they want to be.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users