HELP ME DECIDE! :) UCLA vs USC (Biology/Pre-med)

cqiu22

Reaction score
I am a graduating senior in highschool, and I recently have been admitted to UCLA and USC. (They are my current top choices) I was admitted to UCLA with Biology as my major, and think I want to go to medical school. For me, pricing is similar because I have received a scholarship at USC, so I am mainly considering other aspects. (detail is appreciated :))

Things I have thought about:

- UCLA has a higher ranking and is probably better regarded internationally. It also has a lower acceptance rate and generally smarted student body. It is one of the best academically.
- UCLA's prestige and name could carry a long way.
- UCLA is a big school whereas USC is smaller. Competition at UCLA could be tougher and getting attention from teachers or counselors could be harder.
- GPA deflation at UCLA. Maintaining a good gpa there could be harder
- USC Alumni Network is really good, maybe good for the future
- I have seen advice about how going to your states "flagship state school" could be bad for med school.
- Not too sure about the internship/research possibilities at either, but USC seems like it would be easier to get connected and have good opportunities
- Both school have good social scenes and I would probably fit in at both. (Am worried about the spoiled aspect of USC though)
- Both campuses are nice, but UCLA is prolly in a slightly nicer area.

Please help me decide. I have a lot of things to consider, but I am glad I have these options. Any opinions and comments are appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user

- UCLA has a higher ranking and is probably better regarded internationally. It also has a lower acceptance rate and generally smarted student body. It is one of the best academically.
- UCLA's prestige and name could carry a long way.
- UCLA is a big school whereas USC is smaller. Competition at UCLA could be tougher and getting attention from teachers or counselors could be harder.
- GPA deflation at UCLA. Maintaining a good gpa there could be harder

Ranking between both of these specific institutions is not what I would deem a pivotal point (especially this early in your career projection). Prestige will never trump overall academic success, curriculars, research, service/volunteer opportunities, and the ability to shadow across multiple disciplines.

In terms of the size of the school: how do you best learn? Do you need more accessibility to professors/TAs/Counselors? Would a larger lecture hall of multiple students seem applicable to your learning or do you prefer more of a one-on-one approach? Have you reached out to the programs to see if they have mentors for students or do you have any specific mentors in mind? How easy do you believe you could stand out in terms of getting a Letter of Reference (LOR) from a faculty member? Just a few things to consider in terms of how you best learn/grow.

As far as GPA deflation - this sentiment will echo to my aforementioned statements - this is going to be heavily on how you learn, how bad you want it, what sacrifices are you willing to make. The transition from high school to undergrad is a big step as well as the step from undergrad to professional schooling. Take your time and see how you learn and adapt your class work-load to your own capabilities.

- USC Alumni Network is really good, maybe good for the future
- I have seen advice about how going to your states "flagship state school" could be bad for med school.
- Not too sure about the internship/research possibilities at either, but USC seems like it would be easier to get connected and have good opportunities
- Both school have good social scenes and I would probably fit in at both. (Am worried about the spoiled aspect of USC though)
- Both campuses are nice, but UCLA is prolly in a slightly nicer area.

Please help me decide. I have a lot of things to consider, but I am glad I have these options. Any opinions and comments are appreciated.

Networking is a good point. This can help you branch out so long as you are willing to apply/relocate to other regions of the state/country. I would argue that prestige is not necessarily tied to networking (although it can be). Definitely keep this on the back of your mind during your studies. Research between both programs is adequate enough for you to "check off" a box under this category. Look into each program on what current research is going on - see if grants are a common theme and look into what research faculty have done (publications and who the co-authors are).

Social scene is on you - not sure what you mean by a spoiled aspect but if you feel comfortable and feel your mental health and hobbies can be met (although a bit more restricted during your studies), I say this may be considered another moot point. All in all, you cannot go wrong with either university. Just be sure you know how to study at the beginning of your courses to see if adjustments need to be made (consider course load, professor to student ratio, and mentorship).

It is ok to think you want medical school, but please be sure to take courses that cover all other aspects of healthcare ( PA, PT, NP, Dental, teaching certificates for grad work in case you decide to take another year to study for MCAT and/or become more competitive, so on and so forth).

Congrats on your accomplishments -

Reactions: 1 user