Program-Specific Info / Q's Help me decide? Widener OTD vs Temple OTD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureOTMax

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all! I got accepted into my top 2 choices- Temple and Widener for OTD. I am incredibly torn on the two options, and would greatly appreciate any insights on what people might think about the two. Here's what I have so far for my pros/cons of both

Widener

Pros: cadaver lab, inter-professional mixed classes, student run community clinic, $1,084 per credit (111 credits), automatically registers my classes (small but is a pretty cool perk imo), safer campus area.

Cons: newer program (I would be the 4th cohort all time for the program), staff with all similar clinical experience, no ADL suite, no travel abroad offered, not highly ranked (not ranked on college factual)

Temple

Pros: teachers with diversified clinical experience, state-of-the-art ADL suite, research university, higher ed teaching certification upon graduation, international clinical experiences offered, small class size (15 students roughly), ranked 33rd on college factual), in College of Public Health (so we will learn about public health measures as well as develop clinical skills)

Cons: $1,453 per credit (116 credits), no cadaver lab, campus safety concerns

I know price-wise its coming out $48k less for Widener, so I would assume people would advocate for that option, but I was able to work throughout undergrad and paid it all out of pocket, so I do not have any student loans for undergrad. Saving money would be fantastic, but I am really looking for the best environment to thrive in academically. I would love to hear everyones thoughts and if people have experience at either Widener or Temple OTD, as I really am torn. From the list I developed it seems neck-and-neck between the two programs, so I appreciate anyone's help!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello! I will not be attending Temple ( I got into my top choice beforehand), but I loved the program there and was seriously considering the program! I looked into Temple after learning about it through an occupational therapist I shadowed. She had lots of positive things to say about their program and the staff, and her experience as a student. She said she felt really well prepared going into the work force and I thought she was an amazing person to shadow - very knowledgeable and passionate about OT and seemed to have a super solid foundational education. She didn't know what area of OT she wanted to go into initially, but thought Temple did a great job at getting her experience in many different areas - She does play therapy and aquatic therapy now! She loved the Philly area as well and said that there were a lot of opportunities to work hands-on in the community.

I don't know anything about Widener, but thought I would share the information about Temple! Good luck with your decision!

Reactions: 1 user
hi! OTD student here from USC. not sure a cadaver lab option would really make much of a difference. I dont know if we have one or not but we have never even had conversations about it. I think the staff with all similar interests is a massive con becasue they will not have the expertise nor ability to really help you outside of their practice area. Also, having an ADL suite and ability to learn hands on in a setting with those materials is a huge advantage vs basically theorizing it! hope that helps :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi -

I actually put deposits down for both of these schools too! I’m leaning more towards Temple right now just because of how I felt on interview day and how the students were.

As you said there are both pros and cons to both that I thought of as well. For me, Temple’s giving back to the community and its big emphasis on field experiences is what is driving me more towards Temple.

However, these are both great options (I was back and forth especially because of how much emphasis Widener puts on interdisciplinary studies which is also important to me)

Just putting my two cents in- I'm a second year at NAU's OTD program. We do have a 'donor' lab, this was a valuable experience especially since one of the OT professors who teaches Anatomy really advocated for OTs to be allowed to dissect and participate whereas beforehand they were only allowed to observe what the Med students/PAs/PTs dissected, so my cohort was the first OTs were allowed to do that. Personally, I can't really say it added value to my own personal learning, I know classmates felt otherwise and really valued that experience, this is largely due to my learning style however and I haven't had any experience with donors before-whereas a majority of people in the lab had so it was a bit jarring to me to say the least.

As far as interdisciplinary studies...this has been my experience and I can only attest to that, but it really isn't all that it's chalked up to be. I've had a couple classes with other healthcare students (PTs, PAs, ATs, Med students) and interdisciplinary events where for one day you are with others doing a case study but it just didn't bring a lot of value to me. Sure it is great advocating for OT-which you will come to find you need to do a whole lot of that, but more than anything it's been a headache. You'll understand what I mean but since OT is more holistic we see the value in these types of opportunities, however the same cannot be said for others and typically the attitude I've come across from other students have been that it's a waste of time, which is unfortunate but the reality at least from what my experience has been.

So much of the learning you are going to do is when you are out on Fieldwork and outside the classroom. I can't say that I feel as though the interdisciplinary experience I have had has offered me any other value so far or transferable experience really, but again these are my thoughts. Good luck though in your decision and OT journey!

Reactions: 1 user