Help me decide!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jules5273

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do you think and why?

Temple vs. Penn vs. Maryland vs. Buffalo

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!!

Members don't see this ad.

Does cost matter?

considering everything. cost is a big factor but I dont want it to be the only factor. right now...buffalo, although its the cheapest, is not one of my favorites.

Members don't see this ad :)

Last edited:
If I were you and money didnt matter, I would go to Penn. I did like Philly when I went there for my Temple interview. Dont know enough about maryland or buffalo to give advice. I have a friend who grew up in maryland his whole life and he lives in Wisconsin now and he said he hated maryland. He didnt care for the people who lived around there....thats different for everyone though!

i am in a similar situation: maryland vs buffalo vs columbia

penn or temple, philly is a great town.

dude you're on crack, philly a great town? My bro goes there for med school and trust me the town is pretty rough. If I was in your position I'd go to Penn and if not there then UMD.

I feel like Buffalo is the best bang for the buck. I went there for undergrad and will be going back for dental school. Although it would be nice to live in another city for 4 years, I just can't pass up my state school. Having your own operatory 3rd and 4th year is a pretty big perk too. I've spent many hours volunteering in the clinic and like it a lot. Solid program all around.

The cheapest school. Buffalo grad here, and I was probably WNY's #1 hater by the time I graduated (I spent 10 years of my education including the 4 years for dental school in Buffalo). Five years later, it was an absolute blessing to attend such a clinically strong school and have such an affordable loan payment every month.

Last edited:
penn or temple, philly is a great town.

But your first choice is Maryland no? :rolleyes:

OP, u have to give qualities u're looking for.... or factors that matter for us to give advice :\.

All this talk about choosing the cheapest school makes it painful for me to think about the fact that no matter where I go, I'm looking at being roughly 350 in the hole.

your sarcasm meter must be defective

My advice, go over to dental town and read through some of the threads. Once you get out of school and you have that giant monkey, called debt, on your back, you'll be glad you chose the cheapest one. As soon as you get that paid off, the sooner you can get your money working for you!

Haha my apologies, and props for that, because I am one of the most sarcastic people I know, and I really didn't pick up on that. In that case, I agree totally :D

The cheapest school. Buffalo grad here, and I was probably WNY's #1 hater by the time I graduated (I spent 10 years of my education including the 4 years for dental school in Buffalo). Five years later, it was an absolute blessing to attend such a clinically strong school and have such an affordable loan payment every month.

^^^Every dentist that I've spoken to has given me the same advice as well. They all said you think 50k-100k isnt much to some till you factor in interest... they all say that if they were to do it again, they'd go to the cheapest school.

Another piece of advice that I got today from a dentist was, the money saved will be the money put toward your future practice and less time being an associate. The sooner you get your practice going, the sooner you can be your own boss. Something to think about and I hope that helps.

Last edited:
Hands down Penn
Is the bestttt school that Ive seen so far. has high ranking. best clinical. very nice student enviornment my sis goes there she abs. lovess it. :luck:
hope it helpsss.

Hands down Penn
Is the bestttt school that Ive seen so far. has high ranking. best clinical. very nice student enviornment my sis goes there she abs. lovess it. :luck:
hope it helpsss.

But it's SOOO expensive :confused:

All this talk about choosing the cheapest school makes it painful for me to think about the fact that no matter where I go, I'm looking at being roughly 350 in the hole.
same situation as well, and with price being eliminated by the virtue
"they ALL expensive"... what one suppose to do?....
I also do not think that all schools created equal- they do teach you differently and while for science one can get a book and study study study.... with clinical part you just have to be sure that school has enough people to mentor you and show you all shortcuts to learn efficient way and is current on what is considered to be best protocol of treatment now and not 20 years ago... that is if you want to be a good clinician... if you looking into research your standarts will be different....

But your first choice is Maryland no? :rolleyes:

OP, u have to give qualities u're looking for.... or factors that matter for us to give advice :\.
love philly. lived here for 3 years. rejected from temple and didn't apply to penn. got it?