Help me fill up my old school home visit physician bag!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NewYorkDoctors

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone:

I just received a gift of an old school physicians bag (the kind that the family docs 40 years ago used to carry around on their home visits)

Now while I am not serious about making home visits, I would like this opportunity to fill this bag with goodie supplies that I can use when I am not in the hospital or the office. (Wise? perhaps not, but at least I won't use it on anyone unless they are close enough to me not to sue me)

So far I have:

- Stethoscope
- Reflex hammer
- Tuning fork
- Pulse oximeter
- Magnifying glass

What else can I figure out to put in there? I might go to a costume party one day after all.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello everyone:

I just received a gift of an old school physicians bag (the kind that the family docs 40 years ago used to carry around on their home visits)

Now while I am not serious about making home visits, I would like this opportunity to fill this bag with goodie supplies that I can use when I am not in the hospital or the office. (Wise? perhaps not, but at least I won't use it on anyone unless they are close enough to me not to sue me)

So far I have:

- Stethoscope
- Reflex hammer
- Tuning fork
- Pulse oximeter
- Magnifying glass

What else can I figure out to put in there? I might go to a costume party one day after all.
A big pile of liability waivers.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm thinking demerol would be better. I mean patients LOVE that stuff. They'd have you coming over to give them "a little shot" every day!!

BP cuffs
monofiliments
lancets
Accucheck
retractable tape measure
etc etc
basically everything in your exam room that you can cram into a bag

What is the old school combination? Ether plus something else that you put in a soiled rag?

Obviously this has become a joke thread!

But in all seriousness, I just plan on bringing this bag while in the hospital because sometimes I may not be able to obtain a particular tool on the floors when I need to do a certain bedside exam.

Case in point, anoscopy... called general surgery to try to get one... they misinterpreted it as a consult to do a rectal exam and told me off essentially.

Anoscopy in the privacy of ones own home.... you may be onto something there. Pack some of those small wine or liquor bottles as well.

Some leather boots and a whip and you have a lucrative new job.

Reactions: 1 user