Help me finalize my school list PLEASE!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

angldrps

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
These are my stats: cum GPA=3.26 and science GPA =3.24 (hopefully won't change after verification
MCAT: 32M
Average ECs (2 years research, 100+ hours clinical hours, 70 hours non clinical( tutoring), 50+ hours shadowing DO (got a LOR) and MD, and few more things)
CA resident.

I am hoping to get advise so I can save money by not applying to schools with regional bias. Please provide me your feedback

Are there any schools you guys recommend I add to my list
Also, do you guys think I should add the newer schools as my safety schools?

CCOM
-Western
-Des Moines
-NSU
-KCUMB
-Touro-NV
-KCOM
-Touro-NY
-Touro-CA
AZCOM
LECOM Erie
Lecom Bradenton
UMDNJ
NYCOM

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey guys,
These are my stats: science and cum GPA: 3.2 (hopefully won't change after verification
Average ECs (2 years research, 100+ hours clinical hours, 70 hours non clinical( tutoring), 50+ hours shadowing DO (got a LOR) and MD, and few more things)
CA resident.

I am hoping to get advise so I can save money by not applying to schools with regional bias. Please provide me your feedback

CCOM
-Western
-Des Moines
-NSU
-KCUMB
-Touro-NV
-KCOM
-Touro-NY
-Touro-CA
AZCOM
LECOM Erie
Lecom Bradenton
UMDNJ
NYCOM

I was told UMDNJ has a regional bias.

I think the 32 will sway a lot of schools into considering you, so applying to 14 schools seems to be a lot (You listed UMDNJ twice). Maybe add one of the 3 new schools as safety and shave off a school like DMU or KCUMB since their average GPA is really high and their MCAT is high too. Western might be a long shot too.

:( My stats are about the same as the OP and I thought I had a good chance at DMU/KCUMB.

I think the 32 will sway a lot of schools into considering you, so applying to 14 schools seems to be a lot (You listed UMDNJ twice). Maybe add one of the 3 new schools as safety and shave off a school like DMU or KCUMB since their average GPA is really high and their MCAT is high too. Western might be a long shot too.

i thought DMU and KCUMB MCAT average was 28-29 . Am I wrong?

Members don't see this ad :)
I was told UMDNJ has a regional bias.

:( My stats are about the same as the OP and I thought I had a good chance at DMU/KCUMB.

this makes me a bit sad too because i have read a lot of good things about these schools,especially DMU.:(

this makes me a bit sad too because i have read a lot of good things about these schools,especially DMU.:(

I think you have a shot at DMU if you apply early (which you are I'm assuming). Go for it. Hopefully I'll see you next year. :)

statistics on the UD thread say that MCAT average at KCUMB and DMU for the recent class is 27.

I think you have a shot at DMU if you apply early (which you are I'm assuming). Go for it. Hopefully I'll see you next year. :)

will be submitting my app by tomorrow! i know SDN posters say apply as soon as app opens, but you don't think applying late june really makes a big difference, right?

statistics on the UD thread say that MCAT average at KCUMB and DMU for the recent class is 27.

That sounds about right. The average stats are probably posted on the website. But I think you have a good shot assuming your ECs are good (which I think they are if I remember correctly).

will be submitting my app by tomorrow! i know SDN posters say apply as soon as app opens, but you don't think applying late june really makes a big difference, right?

Nope.

Edit: I mean, yes you're right.

Hey guys,
These are my stats: science and cum GPA: 3.2 (hopefully won't change after verification
CA resident.

CCOM
-Western
-Des Moines
-NSU
-KCUMB
-Touro-NV
-KCOM
-Touro-NY
-Touro-CA
AZCOM
LECOM Erie
Lecom Bradenton
UMDNJ
NYCOM

I'm pretty sure KCUMB needs 3.25...so close

I'm pretty sure KCUMB needs 3.25...so close

This is true. KCUMB says they screen <3.25 and <25 (I think it's 25) for secondaries. Take the chance.. it'll only cost you $35.

But you're a native american.

i thought DMU and KCUMB MCAT average was 28-29 . Am I wrong?
That's correct, but their GPA is also around 3.6, so whatever MCAT advantage you have, is lost by the GPA. I'm not saying it's for sure that you won't get in. I'm just saying that out of the schools you listed those might be the ones to consider shaving off.

This is true. KCUMB says they screen <3.25 and <25 (I think it's 25) for secondaries. Take the chance.. it'll only cost you $35.

is the 3.25 requirement for cumulative or science GPA ? My AACOMAS calculated/
pre-verification cum GPA=3.26 and science GPA =3.24. (i'll edit this into my first post)

Members don't see this ad :)
But you're a native american.

That's correct, but their GPA is also around 3.6, so whatever MCAT advantage you have, is lost by the GPA. I'm not saying it's for sure that you won't get in. I'm just saying that out of the schools you listed those might be the ones to consider shaving off.

thanks for your input. Since I am 5 points above their MCAT average, I think I'll just apply and hope for the best. :xf:

is the 3.25 requirement for cumulative or science GPA ? My AACOMAS calculated/
pre-verification cum GPA=3.26 and science GPA =3.24. (i'll edit this into my first post)

It's for both.